Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Can't navigate Chapers
    ericinboston
    post Sep 4 2010, 01:19 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 25,060

Hi all. I am using my WD TV to play VOB files/directories of my ripped dvds.

Everything plays fine...however, there are no chapters. If I press the NEXT button on the remote, it just restarts the movie. If I press the Options button, the Chapers icon is greyed out.

This fails on 100% of my dvd rips...whether I ripped the entire dvd or just the movie. If I play a dvd-r of the directory, my dvd player finds the chapters without any problems.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Eric
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Sep 4 2010, 01:19 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 4 2010, 02:09 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Known issue. No solution I'm afraid since apparently WD just doesn't care enough to add DVD chapter support. In fact, they haven't even bothered to add DVD menu support to the Gen. 2 with a FW update, though the Live and Live Plus have it now (the Gen. 2 and the Live have the same decoding chip inside). Makes me think the Gen. 2 is no longer supported now, just like the Gen. 1.

+Quote Post
    ericinboston
    post Sep 4 2010, 07:40 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 25,060

Do you think it's worth the extra $30 to return this and get the Live? I have a Netflix account but I've never really been impressed with streaming wirelessly on my G network...and I can't run a cable.

Total bummer...because I noticed the DVD menus were missing too...personally I rarely use them but would be nice on occasion. Pretty crappy that the firmware/software is likely 99% the same (or at least a subset) and they won't fix this on my brand new unit. Maybe I should convert the dvds with MakeMKV...are MKV files lossless? I think it's lossless for DVD (not Bluray).

Actually, only the Live Plus supports DVD Navigation according to WD: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30

Lame if you ask me. I think I will just deal with this dvd limitation. I tend to watch movies, not scan through them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Eric

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 5 2010, 06:48 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

QUOTE (ericinboston @ Sep 5 2010, 07:10 AM) *
    Do you think it's worth the extra $30 to return this and get the Live? I have a Netflix account but I've never really been impressed with streaming wirelessly on my G network...and I can't run a cable.

For Netflix you'll need the Live Plus (which is basically the Live + Netflix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ) As for whether it's worth it to buy a Live Plus or Live, depends entirely on whether you want both DVD menu support and Netflix, or only the former.

Maybe I should convert the dvds with MakeMKV...are MKV files lossless? I think it's lossless for DVD (not Bluray).

Lossless for everything it rips. I already mentioned this in your other thread.

Actually, only the Live Plus supports DVD Navigation according to WD: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30

The current beta (and future stable) FW version adds DVD menu support to the Live, no doubt primarily because the Live Plus led to a huge hue and cry by Live owners who justifiably felt shafted. Otherwise IMO WD would have never bothered with DVD menu support for the Live, since they had studiously ignored all such suggestions ever since the Gen. 1 was released, but magically one day were able to create new FW for the Live that added this feature.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 06:06 AM