Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       MKV or MP4/M4V?, Chapter Support, Thumbnail images etc
    Ian M
    post Dec 27 2009, 07:04 PM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 9,595

Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this post is on here already, but I am having a few problems with MKV files and MP4/M4V.

First off, please excuse me if I don't put all the information on here, I will do my best to describe what I am looking for, but I might miss a few things, so please excuse me!

Firstly, I have been doing a bit of reading on Chapter Support, I believe this can be accomplished in MKV files? I used a program called Handbrake on a Mac, and this was 'supposed' to put the chapters in, unfortunately, when running the MKV, pressing next button just skipped to the next file on the drive?!?!

I also tried a program called MKVMerge, no such luck!! Spent blinking ages putting the chapter times in, and this had no effect either, am I missing something incredibly stupidly easy????

Please bear in mind I use Mac's not Windows in this house, but at this rate, I'm probably going to chuck the Mac in the bin and get a PC instead!!

Ok, Secondly, the age old question of thumbnail images, I take it the WD TV does not support images in the MKV itself? I have tried copying the artwork into a jpg in the same folder with the exactly the same file name, i.e. 310 To Yuma.mkv = 310 To Yuma.jpg, which was supposed to work. But it hasn't, can anyone give me any ideas?

Any help on these topics, would be much appreciated!

Ian
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Dec 27 2009, 07:04 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Dec 27 2009, 07:14 PM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

neverlift is the resident mac expert, I will leave that for him!

as for thumbnails, did you reboot the wdtv after putting them on your drive?
    and do you have the original wdtv, wdtv gen 2 or wdtv live, it gets confusing....

I don't know about images embedded in files, I always add them, either folder.jpg or as you said, same name as the mkv but with the jpg extension, always works for me.
    however if you don't have the images and browse the media, then add images, they tend not to display, that is why I suggested rebooting the media player...

and if you have the original wdtv player, earlier firmware revisions did not support the images, although it's not likely that is the case, it is a possibility.

cheers, hope we get ya on the way!

+Quote Post
    Ian M
    post Dec 27 2009, 07:46 PM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Hi Rev Drew,

Thanks for replying so quick! It would be fantastic if you could let him know I need help! I would be appreciate that!

I think I will add them too, I did start scrolling through some earlier posts, and noticed certain people saying they had to be a certain height and width? And also a certain DPI??? Will that have a big factor? The image I have is quite a whopper, so maybe that is why it is not showing up?

I think I have the original WDTV HD, as in the first generation one, I did notice that the firmware was WELL out of date! So I went on to the WDC website support section and updated it from there. It is now something like 01.03.?? or something like that!

Anyway, thanks for your help so far, I hope I can get these faults sorted, if I can, I will be a very happy camper!!

Ian

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Dec 27 2009, 08:43 PM
    Post #4

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

If I recall, videos is 120 X 180, most others are 140 X 140.

I have read images over 200KB are deathly slow to open, if they open at all. I use irfanview, it's a nice windows program, I do not know if there is a mac version..

you can always go to http://www.resizr.com/ and it will resize images for you automatically, I have used it and it works very well.

neverlift is the owner / admin here, he will be along

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 28 2009, 07:09 AM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Ian, you're right, the WD TV doesn't support thumbs embedded in MKVs. Thumbs can be embedded in WMVs, MP4s etc. though (see the manual for more), but like Rev Drew I too prefer to use external JPGs. Re. any more thumbnail-related issues, please post in the appropriate sub-forum, as it helps keep a thread from becoming too confusing with multiple issues. There are already various threads in the thumbs sub-forum and also the tutorials sub-forum that discuss the best size for thumbs etc. If none of those address your problem, feel free to post there. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    Ian M
    post Dec 28 2009, 07:22 AM
    Post #6

WDTV SEMI-PRO

WDUser,

Confession - To be honest, I was so tired last night I didn't even look at the thumbs section!! I'll check it out now, the good news is that I found a way of putting the images into MP4's now, so hopefully I'll be able to find the solution to something else.

Thanks, I'll post the topic there if I need any more help. But thanks to you both so far for what you have suggested.

Ian

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 28 2009, 07:54 AM
    Post #7

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

You're welcome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Re. your chapters issue, take a look here. The author of the utility specifically mentions WD TV support. Here's something else that might be of help.

+Quote Post
    Ian M
    post Dec 28 2009, 08:11 AM
    Post #8

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Excellent, I have another confession though!! lol, I' a MAC user, that doesn't stop me from using windows programs, but I prefer using MAC applications if I can get hold of them, on the plus side though, I finally found an app that worked for chapter support, it's called MKVMerge, it was a bit long winded, but I got there in the end, I also converted a file last night when I went to be using Handbrake, and changed it to a mkv container, instead of mp4, and that worked fine.

Now, if I can just get an m4v to support chapter markers, do you know if the WD TV supports chapters in m4v files?

Ian

+Quote Post
    B5FAN
    post Dec 28 2009, 11:36 AM
    Post #9

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 5,211

To use chapters, you can't use the next button. It doesn't work that way. To go to a specific chapter you need to go to options while watching the movie. You will then get a list of the chapters. There you select which chapter you want to go to. I wish it was as easy as hitting "next", but the WDTV doesn't work that way.

+Quote Post
    Ian M
    post Dec 28 2009, 01:20 PM
    Post #10

WDTV SEMI-PRO

B5FAN,

Thanks for that, I sort of got it sussed, now I just need to set the chapters up on the mkv file in the right places, they seem to have jumpe out of sync somewhere along the line! But I am half way there now which is great, thanks for the help.

Ian

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 28 2009, 06:12 PM
    Post #11

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (Ian M @ Dec 28 2009, 06:41 PM) *
    Excellent, I have another confession though!! lol, I' a MAC user, that doesn't stop me from using windows programs, but I prefer using MAC applications if I can get hold of them, on the plus side though, I finally found an app that worked for chapter support, it's called MKVMerge, it was a bit long winded, but I got there in the end, I also converted a file last night when I went to be using Handbrake, and changed it to a mkv container, instead of mp4, and that worked fine.

Glad you got it to work. I was gonna suggest MKVMerge, but since you yourself said in the first post above that it didn't work for you, I skipped it.

+Quote Post
    ziba
    post Mar 25 2011, 06:11 PM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 26,238

QUOTE (B5FAN @ Dec 28 2009, 09:36 AM) *
    To use chapters, you can't use the next button. It doesn't work that way. To go to a specific chapter you need to go to options while watching the movie. You will then get a list of the chapters. There you select which chapter you want to go to. I wish it was as easy as hitting "next", but the WDTV doesn't work that way.

This is pretty dumb though.

i wish it would be simple on the fly.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:24 AM