Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD TV Mini do not display the last part of the Xvid file. why?
    scorpion
    post Jan 6 2010, 06:45 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 10,524

hi,

my WD TV mini read Xvid files with 700MB very well.

If the Xvid file have 2GB, the WD TV Mini do not display the last part of the Xvid file.

someone know how to fix it?

thanks.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 6 2010, 06:45 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    prachir
    post Feb 2 2010, 08:37 AM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Member No.: 12,148

i just encountered a similar problem , i couldnt get to the end of 1.4G video. got any replies or solution for this?

or do we have to wait for the firmware update?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 2 2010, 03:01 PM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Does this happen only with Xvid AVIs? What about large DivX AVIs? What about other file types?

Also, what happens exactly? Does the playback stop abruptly and dump you back to the main menu?

+Quote Post
    Nevi
    post Feb 4 2010, 03:13 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 12,316

AVI files larger than 2.1gb do not reach the end... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

PS: Doesn`t matter Xvid or DivX AVIs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 4 2010, 10:56 AM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Well it seems one person has problems with 1.4+ GB AVIs, while another has problems with 2.1+ GB AVIs. Don't know yet if it's a universal problem with the Mini, or an issue with the AVIs being tested. In any case, if indeed it's a firmware issue, only WD can help so have you guys tried contacting WD Support yet?

+Quote Post
    Nevi
    post Feb 4 2010, 11:55 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 12,316

QUOTE (WDUser @ Feb 4 2010, 10:56 AM) *
    so have you guys tried contacting WD Support yet?

Already done.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 4 2010, 02:46 PM
    Post #7

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Let us know if they have anything useful to say.

+Quote Post
    diogo_silva
    post Mar 23 2010, 02:02 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Member No.: 15,312

Hi,

I received a response from WD regarding this issue.
    Here's what they have said:

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

I apologize for the inconvenience, lets try to reset your WD TV, to do so, please follow the steps below:

Look at the left side of your WD TV, were your USB port one is, here you will see a tiny hole, using a pen or pencil, press and hold down this button for ten seconds, the WD TV will reset.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further."

I will see if it works!

+Quote Post
    wordsmith
    post May 19 2010, 10:52 AM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 19,049

I had the same problem with my WD TV Mini. The problem is that the video bitrate of the file you are playing is too high. the player has a problem with large files that have high video bitrates. The videos that I was watching had a bitrate of 2000 kilobytes per second (kps). I re-encoded the videos files with a bitrate of 1500 kps and now they play perfectly all the way through, and haven't lost much much in video quality

I hope this helps, i know how fustrated I was and how relieved to get the WD TV mini working properly

+Quote Post
    Pr0metheus
    post May 21 2010, 11:01 AM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Member No.: 19,256

I have the same problem, 4.1 GB AVI file has bitrate of 3000kbit and it stops playing in about half of the size, which could be the aforementioned 2.1GB size limit. I think this must be firmware bug, otherwise this file should not play at all.

+Quote Post
    testas123
    post Aug 16 2010, 05:40 AM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 23,932

yeah i have the same problem, videos are about 2 gb, 2h and 10 mins long, and every time 6 mintues before the end, the video restarets, wtf, stupid wd SHIT.

i need firmware update?

+Quote Post
    Pr0metheus
    post Aug 16 2010, 05:47 AM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 19,256

Yes, we all need firmware update!

+Quote Post
    Douglas Jackson
    post Sep 20 2010, 08:50 PM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 20,611

I've run into this issue as well. When it's happened to me it's been with programs that are 2GB+ in size and 120min+ in duration, and they've all dropped out at about the 2 hour mark. When I asked my brother about this he said that there may be a problem with playing AVI format files past 2 hours, and not necessary a problem with the overall size of the file involved.

I'll slap a test video together so that it's under 2GB (same duration however) and let you all know how it flies.

+Quote Post
    Haze09
    post Oct 16 2010, 08:57 AM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Member No.: 28,293

I have the WD TV Mini media player but i have a similar problem. I'm using a external hdd plugged into the usb port and when my movies get around the 2 hour mark it jumps to the next title on my drive. When i start the movie again im unable to continue it from the crash point. Also i can fastfoward to the crash point no faster than 2x because faster makes it jump to the next movie again and when i get to the point it stopped it repeats the problem. I've had this player for about 3 months and this problem just started occurring about 3 weeks ago.

+Quote Post
    dracwy
    post Nov 29 2010, 01:51 AM
    Post #15

WDTV USER

Member No.: 13,714

Exactly same problem I face all the time with AVI files that are larger than 1GB. The file stops abruptly after an hour or so. can't get back to the crash point. Emailed WD but got evasive replies. See email history below

dracwy:
    Hi, I have a WD TV Mini Media Player, firmware 1.00.60. The media player is unable to finish playing AVI movie files, especially so when the file is more than 1GB in size. It will play the file for about an hour or so, then will stop abruptly and return to the file directory page. I am unable to continue playing the movie from the crash point. I have reset the player by using a pen to press and hold down the hole button beside the power hole for about ten seconds, but the problem persists. Please advise.

WD:
    For this issue happen at recently or after update the firmware? Do you try other movie files?

dracwy:
    The problem occurs all the time with files greater than 1GB in size, before and after updating the firmware. The file just stops playing after about an hour or so. I've tried searching for a solution on the Internet. Apparently, there are quite a number of people facing the same issue. Please advise on how to resolve this problem.

WD:
    Is that all movie files more than 1GB will gets same issue? (* dracwy thinks their english sucks)

dracwy:
    Hi, so far I've only tried AVIs, because I only use AVI. I don't use other formats. Other people have also raised the issue of AVI files (>1GB) not being able to play completely on the WD TV Mini.

WD:
    Kindly check is that the movie file put in another usb drive will be same issue? And try to go to different website download some movie over 1GB then you can test is that movie converter problem.
    And also provide us the details take some screen shot to us. (* SCREENSHOTS??? OF WHAT? THE FILE JUST STOPS ABRUPTLY! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif) )

dracwy (got pissed!):
    Hi, I have tried and downloaded many AVI files from different sites, the abrupt stopping problem apparently happens only to AVI files that are more than 1GB in size. AVI files which are less than 1GB are fine. This has been the issue since I bought WD TV Mini. I have played the AVI files in my own computer (not using WD TV Mini) and all AVI files are fine, even if more than 1GB. Definitely nothing wrong with the AVI files. Something is wrong with how WD TV Mini handles AVI files that are more than 1GB.
    Screen shots? How do you expect me to take screen shots, when the file just stops abruptly? Besides, there're no error screens. WD TV Mini just stops the file abruptly.
    Please accept that there is a problem with how WD TV Mini handles AVI files that are more than 1GB. There is nothing wrong with the movie files. It is not only me, many users face the same problem. Please provide a solution.

Am waiting for their further evasive replies, if any. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

+Quote Post
    testas123
    post Nov 29 2010, 07:20 AM
    Post #16

WDTV USER

Member No.: 23,932

Yeah, i emailed wd about that bug too and those morons responded like robots, said me to convert .avi videos to other format. . Well, mine bug is that .avi larger than 2 gb and longer than 2 hours do not have end, the end is cut.

waiting for the newest upgrade....

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 29 2010, 09:33 AM
    Post #17

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

If the AVIs have a packed bitstream, try unpacking it using MPEG4 Modifier and see if this helps. If not, try re-encoding and reducing the bitrate, as mentioned by wordsmith as a possible solution above.

QUOTE (dracwy @ Nov 29 2010, 01:21 PM) *
    (* dracwy thinks their english sucks)

First thing that struck me as well! Anyway, it's not as if they can ruin the company's image further compared to what it already is...

QUOTE (dracwy @ Nov 29 2010, 01:21 PM) *
    Am waiting for their further evasive replies, if any. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

You might as well not waste your time. WD 'support' sucks, and is probably competing with their QA and FW dev divisions in aiming for the worst WD department of the year prize.

The Mini is a low-powered device that I've never found worthy of recommending. Also, there will be no more FW updates from WD (it's even been removed from their site). Considering the fact that different people seem to have problems with different file sizes, as also keeping wordsmith's comment in mind, probably the device is getting overwhelmed after a while due to a combination of the file size and high bitrate. So bigger files might play longer if they have lower bitrates, whereas smaller files may 'saturate' the player earlier if they have high bitrates.

Can someone with these issues run their own battery of tests? How about using a single DVD as standard, ripping it with something like AnyDVD, and then encoding to Xvid+MP3 AVIs with varying bitrates and other settings using AutoGK or similar? Or you can follow the steps in this post. Remember not to use things like packed bitstreams, QPEL, GMC etc. (this is where detailed container/codec specs for these players would come in handy, but of course I doubt if even anyone at WD has this knowledge).

An alternative to AVI for the Mini is also Real (I hate this format! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ), as mentioned in this post.

+Quote Post
    mfgpires
    post Nov 20 2011, 03:21 PM
    Post #18

WDTV USER

Member No.: 94,483

I have exactly the same problem!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

There is any solution?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 04:06 AM