Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       don't bother with windows sharing - just install Tversity or Twonky media
    chezza
    post Jan 10 2010, 01:01 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 10,775

Hi,

Thought this might save a few people a headache or two as I had real problems getting windows 7 network shares to work with my WD TV Live.

I found some great software called Tversity (free) http://tversity.com/ or Twonky Media (paid for with free trial) http://www.twonkymedia.com/ - that just worked instantly. Found all of my music and video within a couple of minutes and my WDTV picked it all up instantly.

Took 5 minutes to set up rather than 5 hours! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hope it helps!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 10 2010, 01:01 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Ham duden
    post Jan 12 2010, 03:28 PM
    Post #2

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 10,936

Sounds nice! Saved for when the network works for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
    weaver
    post Jan 17 2010, 03:25 PM
    Post #3

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 6,152

I have been having problems with Window's 7 and WDTV-Live. I tried Twonky Media and TVersity. Like others I had some problem with TVersity, mainly in playing AVI files.

But Twonky Media works great. And they have a sale going on till the end of the Month for $20 (usd).

http://twonkymedia.com/Promotions/index.html

[Maybe they have this sale every month, I don't know.]

Regardless, I would highly recommend it for WDTV-Live.

+Quote Post
    Jady
    post Jan 17 2010, 06:55 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 11,296

Chezza,

You are my hero! It worked with TVersity within 5 minutes of setup. I had tried everything including registry tweaks to no avail. With Windows 7 Home primium 64 bit all I had to do was add my folder locations and voila---I was in under theWDTV live server icon (not the share icon). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Jan 18 2010, 02:40 PM
    Post #5

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

I hope more Win7 users see this, there seems to be no end to the number of people having hell using it and trying to get sharing to work to the WDLive units.

It really shouldn't be this difficult but, if this works then maybe it will save some other folks a headache.
    I wished I could help more on this Win7 issue but, I gave up and switched to Linux years ago. Obviously there's something weird in Win7 networking.
    I wonder if disabling iPv6 would help on Win7

+Quote Post
    piko72
    post Jan 18 2010, 11:19 PM
    Post #6

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 11,254

YES !! it work for me i installed TVersity !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
    Jady
    post Jan 19 2010, 07:23 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

I am glad. I should point out that it is not working perfectly. For example, thumbnails for movies do not show up (but they do for pictures). WD seems to acknowledge this problem with thumbnails through servers. Hopefully they will fix this with a firmware update. I am also unable to get FLAC audio files to work through the TVersity server. The same files do work on my hard drive directly connected to the WDTV.

+Quote Post
    dublin_101
    post Jan 24 2010, 06:14 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Member No.: 860

!

Can someone please explain the process of getting the WDTV Live box to communicate with Tversity?

What I did was install TVersity on my windows 7 box and added some media, youtube bookmarks, etc.

Now my question is: how do I get WDTV Live to see that? I went into Media Streaming and couldn't find anything. I used to use windows streaming - am I meant to disable this?

Can someone please give me a simple brief of how to set up from start to finish? Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post
    Jeff Schallenber...
    post Jan 26 2010, 08:23 AM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 7,336

First, you have to tell TVersity on your Windows 7 PC where to find your videos, etc. You give TVersity the name(s) of the folder(s), for example, c:\My Documents\My Videos.

Then, in the WDTV Live interface, go to Video\Media Servers\Tversity.

Done.

- Jeff Schallenberg
    Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec

+Quote Post
    Tercero
    post Jan 26 2010, 11:18 AM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Member No.: 11,431

I like twonky, but it's a bit buggy. It gives a lot of errors when using Windows 7, can't be restarted after you close it, can't find the media server a lot of times and crashes. I received an email from support stating they're going to update soon. I might look at an NAS in the meantime.

+Quote Post
    dublin_101
    post Jan 26 2010, 04:49 PM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 860

QUOTE (Jeff Schallenberg @ Jan 26 2010, 07:23 AM) *
    First, you have to tell TVersity on your Windows 7 PC where to find your videos, etc. You give TVersity the name(s) of the folder(s), for example, c:\My Documents\My Videos.

Then, in the WDTV Live interface, go to Video\Media Servers\Tversity.

Done.

- Jeff Schallenberg
    Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec

Hi, I did just that and all my WDTV box displays after I select "media servers" is my PC name....it doesn't have another option.

Do you know if I having media centre on the PC makes a difference? If so, I assume I can disable the Media centre function. Any more advice is appreciated. Thanks.

+Quote Post
    GaPony
    post Jan 27 2010, 10:59 PM
    Post #12

Thumbnail Guru

Member No.: 4,361

QUOTE (Jady @ Jan 19 2010, 07:23 PM) *
    I am glad. I should point out that it is not working perfectly. For example, thumbnails for movies do not show up (but they do for pictures). WD seems to acknowledge this problem with thumbnails through servers. Hopefully they will fix this with a firmware update. I am also unable to get FLAC audio files to work through the TVersity server. The same files do work on my hard drive directly connected to the WDTV.

You should try PS3MediaServer. It also easy to setup, is free, and the thumbnails work properly. Best of all, you can dump all your .jpg thumbnails into a single folder and separate them from the movie files. It makes it much easier to track them down when you want to change or update an image, and doesn't cause any confusion which file is the movie and which one is the cover when doing a quick glance.

PS3MediaServer is a Java app, so you'll need Java to be installed, but most people probably already have it anyway.

+Quote Post
    Jady
    post Feb 1 2010, 07:09 AM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

I got PS3 MediaServer to work but I could not get it to display my movie thumbnails. I keep each thumbnail in a folder with the movie. I guess I need "play" with the setup some more.

+Quote Post
    cmc5dc
    post Feb 6 2010, 12:10 AM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Member No.: 10,789

QUOTE (GaPony @ Jan 27 2010, 09:59 PM) *
    You should try PS3MediaServer. It also easy to setup, is free, and the thumbnails work properly. Best of all, you can dump all your .jpg thumbnails into a single folder and separate them from the movie files. It makes it much easier to track them down when you want to change or update an image, and doesn't cause any confusion which file is the movie and which one is the cover when doing a quick glance.

PS3MediaServer is a Java app, so you'll need Java to be installed, but most people probably already have it anyway.

Can it work with win7 or is it just for vista?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 6 2010, 01:22 PM
    Post #15

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Since it's a Java app, should work fine on Win7 as long as you have Java installed properly.

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Feb 6 2010, 09:38 PM
    Post #16

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

It's java so it'll basically run on anything, that's the beauty of java.

I run the PS3 Media server on Linux even. As mentioned though, you do need to actually have java installed on your machine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 10:03 AM