Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Handbrake and closed captions and me
    redseal
    post Jan 11 2010, 09:16 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 10,875

Hello, thanks in advance for help on this one.

I have been trying to rip my tv shows with closed captions with the new handbrake 0.9.4 and play them through a mac converted my passport essential into the WDTV.
    The files causes the WDTV to crash. It gets hung up and freezes and sometimes won't play files for a time after the initial crash.
    I had no problems playing regular .mp4 s but the HDTV doesn't like the M4v files or the handbrake soft subtitles. I'm not sure which.
    Can anyone help me fix this issue or resolve it? I would like to watch the shows with CC on.
    Subtitles are too small and I can't read them.

WDTV GEN1
    Mac OS 10.5
    My PassportEssential
    Handbrake 0.9.4

Thanks again
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 11 2010, 09:16 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 12 2010, 09:57 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Try renaming the M4V to MP4. As for the subs, what format are they in? Are they embedded in the file?

+Quote Post
    redseal
    post Jan 12 2010, 11:08 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

The CC are the Text option and are not burned in. The Bitmaps are the subtitles.
    Handbrake has Soft Subtitles now which means you can turn them on and off.

After a little more research I found out that quicktime will not see the CC if it is named an mp4 but if it's a m4v they will. Very wierd.
    So i ripped them and got them to work in QT.

I copied over a m4v file and the same file but renamed mp4.

The m4v is an unspecified format and the renamed mp4 file just goes to black when i hit play.
    The video codec i used is MPEG FFMpeg.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for the quick reply.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 13 2010, 03:48 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

What's the source you're ripping from?

Try MP4 with H.264 video.

The 1st Gen. WD TV only supports SRT subtitles. I'm not too sure what you mean exactly by "The CC are the Text option", but if you can convert to SRTs, it should work fine. There's an option for font size in the Settings menu. Isn't the biggest size available big enough for you?

+Quote Post
    redseal
    post Jan 13 2010, 05:47 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

The source is a dvd (Simpsons Season 6 has been my trial disc) I hope that's what you mean by source. I will try the H264 video.

I'm not sure what exactly SRT subtitles are, sorry about this. From what i can tell is called SubRip and it's a windows based subtitle program.
    From my basic knowledge this is what I know: Selectable Subtitles (Not burned into the movie or video) are white with a black outline around them and are usually bitmap files stored on the disc. Closed Captions (Line 21) are white text with a black box behind them, usually seen on a TV. These sometimes contain descriptive text.
    When ripping in HB it gives you the option of A. Bitmap Subs (which are the white text with black outline) and B. Text Only (I'm not sure what exactly it means but when playing it in quicktime it give me the the look of CC which is the white text with a black box behind it.)

If you have another suggestion for a program that will give me CC or subtitles that I can resize that would work as well. I don't have to use handbrake it's just what I've used for a couple years.
    thanks again for your help.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 14 2010, 05:07 PM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Hmm... I looked into this closed captioning thing a bit, and I think you ought to try CCExtractor or VSRip. Let us know if it worked.

+Quote Post
    redseal
    post Jan 17 2010, 03:47 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

They look like Windows programs, do they work for macs?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 17 2010, 04:21 PM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Dang, didn't see you have a Mac and so just posted the links, which of course turned out to be Windows programs due to the sheer amount of software for the platform given the user-base. Unless someone who uses Macs and knows of Mac software for this comes by, I suggest you either try Google, or if need be access a Windows system (yeah, I know many Mac folks may hate to hear that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ) As a last resort you can also try BootCamp or running a Windows image under VirtualBox or Parallels or Wine etc.

+Quote Post
    redseal
    post Jan 19 2010, 10:32 AM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Not sure I'll do Bootcamp.
    The HB forums told me I have to rip .m4v.
    The WDTV doesn't play m4v's right?

I'd like to hear from someone that has been able to get this to work.
    How do people that have PC's and don't use HB get this to work?
    thanks again

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 19 2010, 02:39 PM
    Post #10

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Well M4V is listed as a supported format in the manual. As for getting closed captioning to work, I'm not sure too many people use it, and those that do must I guess be using one of the tools I linked to above. BTW, the site where those tools are to be found i.e. http://www.videohelp.com is probably the best place to contact audio/video encoding/ripping experts who can tell you the best way to accomplish what you want. They may even know of Mac programs that work as well or even better than those Win apps. If you do find a solution or a great app not mentioned here, do post back so others can benefit too. Thanks!

+Quote Post
    OsvaL
    post Mar 4 2010, 08:14 PM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 12,953

Hi, I'm also a Mac and Handbrake user, I had to do a lot of "trial and error" to realize the problem is that the WD HDTV doesn't support .mp4 or .m4v files with subtitles embedded on the file (A.K.A. soft subtitles). Not only the WD HDTV doesn't support this feature, also Front Row won't play any mp4 or m4v file with soft subtitles, you will only get the movie sound with a black screen when you hit the play button.

Now, what I did was to rip my DVDs, or movie files using the Normal or High profile without going for the soft subtitles, but, if you want to play your movie on your WD HDTV with subtitles, just copy the .SRT subtitle file in the same .mp4 movie folder with the same name, as you will do with regular AVI files, it doesn't matter if you use a mp4 file instead, it doesn't care for the WD HDTV, the subtitle will work.

There you go, a mp4 movie file with subtitles.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 5 2010, 02:49 PM
    Post #12

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

@OsvaL: Please don't thread hijack. This thread's about getting closed captions to work, not regular subs.

+Quote Post
    JerryDD56
    post Dec 21 2010, 08:25 AM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 34,763

Well for what it is worth, I too have been ripping my DVD's to HD and using Handbrake to encode. I have been encoding and saving these in the MKV (high profile) format. I remove the bitmap subtitles (Handbrake's default subtitles) and have it add the CC's instead. All have worked flawlessly so far and I can turn the CC's on and off with the WD remote. My wife loves this feature as she likes the text whare as others in the house prefer them off.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 02:34 PM