Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WDTV Live stops halfway through movies
    AndersHP
    post Jan 12 2010, 05:03 AM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 3,449

Does anyone else experience this issue?

After approximately 50-75% runtime of a movie (avi or mkv, almost any movie), my player stops and returns to the moviefolder...! As if the buffer "runs out" or something like that.

Afterwards, when I click the movie from the folder, it continues from where it stopped, and runs without further problems..

It's quite annoying though, as it always seems to be in the middle of the most exciting parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I'm running newest firmware (11).
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 12 2010, 05:03 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 12 2010, 08:06 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Playing over the network, or from a USB drive?

P.S. Newest firmware is 1.01.17 now.

+Quote Post
    irthom
    post Jan 21 2010, 03:20 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 6,570

I am having a similar problem. A movie starts and then after a while (quite a short period in some cases) it stops and rturns to the menu. When I resume it it inevitably crashes again.

I am using the WDTV Live with the latest firmware connected to my router using a LAN cable. The movie files (MKV) are stored on a Synology NAS also wired to the router. In some instances the films are very large (15GB in some cases).

Is there anything I can alter in the settings to alleviate this problem?

Many thanks.

+Quote Post
    AndersHP
    post Jan 26 2010, 04:15 AM
    Post #4

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 3,449

Playing over USB drive...

I have just upgraded to FW 17, but haven't tested enough to determine whether it has helped or not...

Mainly my movies tend to stop about halfway through, but it's always possible to continue from the "point of crash"... As I described, pretty much the feeling like a buffer running out..

+Quote Post
    wd_media_playa
    post Feb 1 2010, 02:41 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 12,171

Are you sure it can't be some sort of remote signal interference that might be initiating the stoppage?

+Quote Post
    rayng86
    post Feb 11 2010, 01:53 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 11,880

i've also experience this issue while playing a mkv file through usb. After nearly an hour of runtime, it pauses/freezes. I have to click the 'back' function on my remote and play again (luckily the resume from last played screen comes up).

+Quote Post
    jaha
    post Mar 20 2010, 11:07 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 15,283

Same problem for me. I have pinned it down to occur in 30 minutes. These are for MKV (720p or 1080p) files running on a media server (WMS), over a Wireless N connection. Can resume no problems after about 7 or 8 seconds. Seems fishy that it happens after 30 minutes, without fail.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Mar 21 2010, 05:56 AM
    Post #8

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

not the same problem for you jaha, if you had taken the time to read the above posts, they are playing from a usb drive, not across a network.

+Quote Post
    Frank Hagan
    post Apr 3 2010, 09:27 AM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 11,218

I am having the same problem, although the file stops after about 4 to 5 minutes. The latest firmware upgrade didn't change anything in this respect.

I am running my WDTV Live through a wired ethernet connection. The MKVs are being streamed from a HP MediaSmart server that is also connected via ethernet. The issue happens no matter which streaming software I use, from the built in Twonkey to Mezzmo, which I just purchased.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Apr 3 2010, 07:29 PM
    Post #10

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

are they 720p or 1080p? have you tried just using windows sharing (CIFS)? or using NFS?

+Quote Post
    Frank Hagan
    post Apr 5 2010, 05:02 PM
    Post #11

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Mine are standard def MKVs, about 4 - 5 GB in size. They play fine using network shares, but stop after a few minutes using any media streaming software (Twonkey, MediaConnect or the software I'm now using, Mezzmo).

+Quote Post
    Frank Hagan
    post Apr 6 2010, 09:25 AM
    Post #12

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Actually, I may have found the answer at http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=14277. At least it works with one of the MKVs that was stopping after a few minutes. I'll continue to test it.

I downloaded MKVToolNix from http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/index.html and installed it. I used MKVMerge (the program in MKVToolNix) and just put the problematic MKV file as the source. It appended a "(1)" to the file name for the output file, and I let it remux the file. It now plays fine.

I don't know why the original file would be fine when streaming from a share, but choke when streaming through streaming software like Twonkey, MediaConnect or Mezzmo, but this fix seems to have done the trick (fingers crossed).

+Quote Post
    wizardbucket
    post Jun 6 2010, 05:34 PM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 20,011

I bought a new WD HTDV Live unit at the weekend. I upgraded the FW to 1.02.21 and sat back to watch the show.
    Networked from a NAS using UPnP. The first mpeg-4 avi film played for 30 mins before the unit crashed. The second equivalent spec film crashed after 20 mins and a third film run from a USB drive took 60 seconds to crash the unit.

In all cases I was using the HDMI output. The screen went blank, the sound remained and within 2 minutes the device rebooted itself. Very frustrating. Having spent 2 days looking for solutions/workarounds for this on Aunty Google and Uncle Forums, it seems there is no such known resolution to this issue. Whilst returning this device is an option I'd prefer it to be fixed as when the unit does work, it works very well.

In my desperation to get the unit to work consistently, I have found that ditching the HDMI output in favour of the composite/component outputs seems to enable the device to live without crashing. Unfortunately the picture or the sound quality is vastly reduced depending on your workaround setup.

I would also recommend converting to the WDLXTV-LIVE firmware (currently 0.4.2.0) as this seems to have more stability and optimal performance as presented on interweb reviews. I am currently using this with no complaints. For the feint hearted, you can always revert back to the official FW by following the instructions.

I hope this helps you all and I hope WD clean up their act and sort the HDMI issues out.
    Regards.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 04:54 PM