Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       .MKV sound, Surround sound system doesn't play MKV sound
    Idontdougly
    post Jan 21 2010, 03:29 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 11,508

I have no sound when playing downloaded .MKV files! TV series' work, but not BluRay rips.

I have this sound system from Bose http://www.bose.dk/EU/en/home-entertainmen...te-GS/index.jsp

I have connected the WD TV to my plasma panasonic with a HDMI cable, and the audio out to the speaker system is red/white analog. No luck.

I have also tried connecting the WD TV directly to the speaker systems receiver with an optical cable. No luck.

I have set the WD TV audio settings to digital. No luck.

Somebody please help me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

-C

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 21 2010, 03:29 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Frank Hagan
    post Jan 21 2010, 11:27 AM
    Post #2

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 11,218

Not sure, but this post seems to have some info on how WDTV-Live passes through the sound. I suspect the TV series are in stereo, so they are passing through your receiver just fine. If the WDTV-Live is downmixing the BD audio to 2 channel PCM, as that post suggests, it might be that your receiver cannot decode it.

Not sure what the solution is, but that thread has a lot of detail on what the poster found. You may have settings in your Bose system that can help.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 23 2010, 04:46 PM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

One more thing you can check - run MediaInfo on the files without sound and check if the audio codec used is even something supported by the 2nd Gen. WD TV and/or your Bose speaker system?

+Quote Post
    Idontdougly
    post Jan 25 2010, 03:48 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 11,508

@Frank Hagan: Thanx for the link. I'll check it out.

@WDUser: The MKV bluray files sound is 48.0 KHz / 6 channels / DTS. The TV series are 48.0 KHz / 6 channels / AC-3. Maybe my speaker system doesn't decode DTS? This is all I can find about it.

Maybe this would help? Coaxial (RCA) to Digital Optical Audio Converter

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 25 2010, 06:55 AM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

The 2nd Gen. WD TV and the Live can only handle upto 2-channel DTS, so you can try setting the player to Stereo to see if you get any sound at all. If not, I'm afraid you'll need a receiver that can decode multi-channel DTS etc. properly. I don't think that Coaxial (RCA) to Digital Optical Audio Converter will be of any help here.

+Quote Post
    shack-3000
    post Apr 28 2010, 01:04 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 17,960

Hi
    I'm having the same issue, all the MKV's i've got with dts encoded sound will only work through the stereo setting on the WDTVHD. I presume on stereo it uses the hdmi lead to pass sound through the TV and then to the Panasonic home theater system SA-PT850 (with DTS capability), It does come out of all 6 speakers but its not true surround sound. When watching MKV's with AC3 encoded sound it works through the digital setting and it sounds great working just as it should with individual sounds coming out of all the correct speakers. But I believe DTS is better quality than AC3. Guess i'm just struggling to understand why DTS sound wont pass through my toslink cable but AC3 will. My WDTVHD has the DTS logo on it and my Panasonic also has the DTS logo so what gives?? is it a WDTV issue or a set-up issue.

Somebody please help!!

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Apr 28 2010, 02:34 PM
    Post #7

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

If you have connected your receiver directly to the player via TOSLink, then IMO no audio data should be sent via HDMI. On all the systems I've seen so far, using TOSLink for audio and HDMI for video worked perfectly fine. Double-check your receiver's settings and see.

+Quote Post
    shack-3000
    post Apr 29 2010, 02:21 AM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Member No.: 17,960

Thanks for the quick response
    I've just been doing a bit of reading on the online manual http://www.panasonic.ae/EN/Manuals/SC-PT550%20-%20850W.pdf and found this on page 40:

This unit can decode the surround signals received through cable TV box, digital broadcasting or satellite broadcasts. Refer to your equipment’s operating instructions for details. Only Dolby Digital and PCM can be played with this connection.

Could this be the reason i'm not getting DTS sound through my receiver? If so i'll just have to convert DTS to AC3

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Apr 29 2010, 07:58 AM
    Post #9

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Yep, that might be it. Seems like the unit can decode only Dolby Digital and not DTS.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 04:52 AM