Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       iMac PPC G4 - This media server cannot be accessed
    frosty
    post Feb 16 2010, 12:55 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 13,042

Im at my wits end with this one. I got a WDTVLive and hooked it up to my wireless network running both a mac OS 10.5.8 and a windows 7 PC. I set sharing on both. Mostly im concerned with the mac. I set up sharing..SMB etc. was working perfect watch HD movies streaming with DTS audio...great. Then today i turned on my WDTVLIVE and i get the
    "This media server cannot be accessed" message when i access through the network shares. Why is this happening? and how do i remedy...anyone please?? youtube works great??
    btw i can see my WDTVLive under my shared list on my mac and i can access a usb drive on the WDTVLive through my mac, ie.:copying files no problem. But i cant navigate through my mac drives i can see them under network shares but when i click on them ... i keep on getting "This media server cannot be accessed??? Also i can see my windows machine perfect???? i have restarted, reconfigured and tried Brads FW...Nothing..unless im overlooking something. Please anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Feb 16 2010, 12:55 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    frosty
    post Feb 16 2010, 04:02 AM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

My Problems are Solved!!! Mac Users Hope This Helps...Got this from another site:

"After my second day of talking to an extremely knowledgeable and nice guy at Apple level II support, we finally fixed the problem. Here's a rundown.

First we reset my Verizon FIOS router. That fixed the problem that my MacBook Pro advertised itself as "Vuze on Vuze" on the network, instead of it's given name. After that, the MacBook Pro showed up properly on the WDTV under Shared Folders, but I was not able to connect. It said "No media in folder". Then the Apple rep. suggested that I check "Remote Login" under "Sharing" in "System Preferences". That took care of the last problem.

To summarize for WDTV Live users who are having a problem accessing a Mac over the network, try all or some of the following steps:

1. Under "Sharing" in "System Preferences", enable File Sharing and make sure all users have Read & Write permissions.
    2. Click Options and enable SMB sharing and put a check mark in your user account.
    3. Enable Remote Login and allow access for All users.
    4. Go to the "Accounts" tab in "System Preferences" and make sure both "Allow guests to log…" and "Allow guests to connect…" are checked.
    5. Reset your router.
    6. Under "Energy Saver" in "System Preferences", uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep..." and check "Wake for Ethernet network access".

I hope this helps someone. Thank you nolar for your input."
    credit to don69 and nolar

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
    frosty
    post Feb 16 2010, 04:03 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

BTW I reflashed FW to Original.FYI

+Quote Post
    frosty
    post Feb 17 2010, 09:30 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Just a quick note to moderators on this site:

I would recommend making this a permanent priority post ie:stickie

As a mac user i have noticed that maybe 10-15% of any user Forum site supply solutions geared toward Mac users (unless of course it is a mac dedicated Forum). I carried out a few searches over the "Netty" and this was the most extensive and definite answer to a problem that obviously exists and is prevalent and causing stressful situations for users on all platforms.

I am sure that many other WDTV Live users have a Mac platform; and after the two days it took -of extensive searching online- i went down the right path and find this solution. The funny thing is that it is an answer related mostly to getting Vuze to work on a network with WDTV LIVE but the solution will fix any network problem related to the sharing of files and accessing them on the WDTV Live.
    I have been a loyal Apple Macintosh user for over 10yrs and would never have thought to "Go to the "Accounts" tab in "System Preferences" and make sure both "Allow guests to log…" and "Allow guests to connect…" are checked." Mainly because i dont even have a guest account set up and all other sharing preferences were set.

Once again this is only a suggestion (at the end of the day you do what ever you please) as im sure there are a few Apple Mac users perusing this Forum who would benefit from this conclusive advice. I'm new to this Forum and if you (moderators) choose not to, maybe you can provide me with some insight as to why it wont qualify-and what does? thanks and enjoy!

~Frosty~

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 17 2010, 07:15 PM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Well it would be nice if someone else can also independently verify that this works for them. All I see in this topic so far are your posts, frosty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Anyway, pinned for now. Happy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
    rdawes26
    post Mar 14 2010, 02:20 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 14,080

QUOTE (WDUser @ Feb 17 2010, 07:15 PM) *
    Well it would be nice if someone else can also independently verify that this works for them. All I see in this topic so far are your posts, frosty.

Yep it works. I am a Mac user and that is the better way to network. I use some additional settings in my router, but this is a great basic for initial Mac users. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
    mfubib
    post Mar 30 2010, 03:55 AM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 13,754

It definitely works!

Thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
    toketho
    post Dec 3 2010, 05:12 AM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Member No.: 32,884

"Go to the "Accounts" tab in "System Preferences" and make sure both "Allow guests to log…" and "Allow guests to connect…"
    Worked great for me - thanks a lot - I was just about giving up on this, until I found this topis..! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 22 2011, 12:21 PM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 80,785

QUOTE (frosty @ Feb 16 2010, 12:02 PM) *
    My Problems are Solved!!! Mac Users Hope This Helps...Got this from another site:
    Enjoy!

i've gone through all these steps but i don't have an accounts tab in system preferences?
    i'm using lion.

+Quote Post
    Spasch
    post Sep 23 2011, 05:43 AM
    Post #10

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 17,969

Did you read this thread about 10.7?

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 24 2011, 05:37 PM
    Post #11

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 80,785

seems like nothing very solid for mac users yet, but i've just tried a trial of twonky and that is working perfectly...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 01:38 PM