Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       USB Harddisk not recognized!
    kojtl1000
    post Apr 2 2010, 11:25 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 15,920

Today I bought a new Western Digital Elements Externe Harddisk 1TB (WDBAAU0010HBK) to use with my WD HD TV Live. I used a 2.5" WD Passport 320 Gb for a while without any issues (and it still works).

Today, I copied my files to the new harddisk and attached it to the HD TV Live. Horror!!! The disk is not recognized. The little light on the front of the HD TV Live does not light up. I disconnected the Harddisk from the mediaplayer and reconnected to my PC and no problems. I tried again attaching it to the mediaplayer, but no result. I rebooted the mediaplayer by unplugging the power, but this did not help.

I am on firmware version 1.02.21 and the drive is NTFS formatted (out of the box)

Can you guys help me with this problem?

Thanks a lot.

PS: already tried a reset (unplugged for a couple of minutes and restarted) and also did a reset to factory settings.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Apr 2 2010, 11:25 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    kojtl1000
    post Apr 2 2010, 02:01 PM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Member No.: 15,920

Just found the 'solution'. Apparently, it was the firmware version. I just did a downgrade to version 1.01.17 and it works fine now. Will leave it at this version for the moment....

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Apr 2 2010, 04:29 PM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Considering that the drive is also a WD product, I'm inclined to think that something went wrong at your end, else this would be a massive FAIL on WD's part and a lot more users would have complained. Update again and then try pressing the hard reset button as mentioned in the manual (I believe you tried the reset option in Settings previously?)

Also, if it still doesn't work, try formatting once (even a quick format will do) as NTFS yourself with all default options selected, and then see. Often pre-formatted drives may have some issues that a reformat may fix.

+Quote Post
    frakk
    post May 13 2010, 03:16 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 18,838

QUOTE (WDUser @ Apr 2 2010, 10:29 PM) *
    Considering that the drive is also a WD product, I'm inclined to think that something went wrong at your end, else this would be a massive FAIL on WD's part and a lot more users would have complained.

Well, we have another complaint here. Same issue with a brand new 2TB Elements Desktop. Firmware 1.02.21

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post May 13 2010, 03:23 PM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

@frakk: Connected directly to the player? Also, as noted above, did you try formatting it once as NTFS before use? If not, try it now and see if that helps.

One more thing. Is this a USB-powered drive? As mentioned on this forum many times, the USB port sometimes is simply unable to provide sufficient power required to run the drive properly, esp. with the larger models. If it has a Y-type USB cable that can be plugged into 2 ports to provide additional power, see if that helps. Otherwise try an externally-powered drive and see, 'cos I'm sure a properly formatted one ought to work (my Seagate drives do) if the player's working fine (note that 3rd party HDD enclosures are not guaranteed to work).

+Quote Post
    mirb
    post Jun 15 2010, 05:13 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 20,525

I'm having the exact same problem with my Elements Desktop 1TB USB drive. It's working just fine with the older firmware (1.01.17) but stops working with 1.02.21. I have also tried the new beta firmware 1.03.22 and the problem persists. After countless calls to the WD phone support I have yet to receive an answer that corrects this issue. This is REALLY a shame since both product are from Western Digital. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

+Quote Post
    JayD
    post Jun 21 2010, 12:33 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 14,483

same problem here with 2tb elements HD.doesnt show up. had the same problem with a Lacie Lacinema HD.

how do i roll back the firmware(just upgraded to to latest 2 minutes prior to plugging in 2tb drive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

J

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jun 21 2010, 01:56 PM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (JayD @ Jun 21 2010, 11:03 PM) *
    how do i roll back the firmware(just upgraded to to latest 2 minutes prior to plugging in 2tb drive.

Look in the Tutorials section.

+Quote Post
    marcK
    post Aug 12 2010, 02:58 PM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 23,745

and exactly the same here,also no reply from helpdesk :-(

Does WD have an answer to the question from the OP? The drive is OK on all other media, recognized fine in 1.01.17 and no longer after upgrades (also not in the lates 1.03.35 beta)

Since I sometimes see moderators from WD here, can they help or do they hide in shame?

(commercial fix to force us to buy the more expensive passport drives??)

+Quote Post
    marcK
    post Aug 12 2010, 03:04 PM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Member No.: 23,745

QUOTE (JayD @ Jun 21 2010, 12:33 PM) *

easy, take the 1.0.17 and change the version number in the .ver file fo something higher as current version. Box will see it as new and you can install as always...

By now I am an expert in installling and rolling back, hoping each time the newer release will work. I keep dreaming...

+Quote Post
    advid
    post Aug 13 2010, 03:05 AM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 18,659

...I had this with a 3/4 full 1TB My Book and had to copy over all the stuff again..(wasting my time) (DVD's/Music ect).....

This is a massive oversight by WD..... should never be allowed to happen - especially using all WD components....

I'm now using an A C Ryan Playon Mini --- NO PROBLEMS WHATSOVER ...........

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 14 2010, 12:32 PM
    Post #12

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (marcK @ Aug 13 2010, 01:28 AM) *
    Does WD have an answer to the question from the OP? The drive is OK on all other media, recognized fine in 1.01.17 and no longer after upgrades (also not in the lates 1.03.35 beta)

Since I sometimes see moderators from WD here, can they help or do they hide in shame?

(commercial fix to force us to buy the more expensive passport drives??)

Umm, who are these "moderators from WD" you speak of who hang out in this unofficial forum? I'd like to give them a piece of my mind too regarding various issues with these players. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

@advid: I have deleted all your off-topic posts from this thread. Feel free to post here if (and only if) you have something relevant to discuss about the issue. I guess though that you do not since you've moved on to another player.

@everyone: If a simple reformat didn't help and neither did the latest beta FW, as a last ditch workaround you can try completely removing all existing partitions from the drive, then creating a single partition and formatting it as NTFS under Windows (or non-journaled HFS+ for Macs). It may work, as it does for another issue mentioned here.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 08:26 AM