Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       no hdmi input on my tv !, never bothered to check :(
    blackcat
    post Apr 2 2010, 02:41 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 16,186

After looking through the site for a couple of weeks i today decided to take the plunge and buy a wdtv unit and hdmi lead.

excitedly hurried home,got it out of the box..and turned round my lcd tv to plug in the hdmi lead.......to my horror my 5 year old t.v. doesnt have hdmi input...oh dear !!!

apart from scart only other input is dvi on my t.v...not knowing much about this have done some searching but have come up with some conflicting information so if some1 could help me please.

can i get a dvi to hdmi lead to connect my t.v. to the wdtv unit? and will it be fine?

does dvi transfer video and sound or will i need something else?

cut a l;ong story short i have a old lcd t.v. with dvi input what will my best chance to view files in hd using wdtv
    thanks for any help
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Apr 2 2010, 02:41 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Apr 2 2010, 04:37 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

As mentioned here and here:

A DVI signal is electrically compatible with an HDMI video signal; no signal conversion is required when an adapter or asymmetric cable is used, and consequently no loss in video quality occurs.

Sound may be a problem though, so if it doesn't work, you might have to connect using TOSLink to an external receiver or to your TV if it has such as input option.

Do keep us informed re. what you bought and tried, and whether it worked. I'm sure the info. will come in handy for others as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    alferret
    post Apr 3 2010, 12:58 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 15,935

DVI can carry sound, from DVI to HDMI it does work, but from HDMI to DVI I dont know, The output from the WDTV's HDMI port will carry the sound obviously (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) the only problem I can see is if your TV's DVI input can accept sound this would be in your manual or, if you post your LCD's make & model # I'm sure someone will find out from an online source if it can.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130513 << HDMI-DVI dual only 4

+Quote Post
    blackcat
    post Apr 3 2010, 10:50 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 16,186

ok..thanks for the replies they much appreciated and i have tried to fix my predicament !!

went to my local computer store and abought a hdmi to dvi cable..(7.99) im in uk so thats probably a fair price at my local store.

anyway..set it up with the wdtv unit...............and....video...but no sound....so...im presuming i just need an audio yellow cable from the unit to my t.v. or not?

anyhow i have video so just need sound now!!!!!.....the search goes on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ...one good thing is..it will help 100's of people in the future when i solve the issue..and WE will (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

any input appreciated

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 12:48 AM