Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WDTV Live PLUS
    neverlift
    post Jun 9 2010, 09:18 AM
    Post #1

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

WD TV Live Plus

WD has just release a new version of the WDTV Live player that now has the ability to play Netflix (US Only). It also supports DVD navigation which might be helpful to some. If you do not live in the US and have no need for the DVD navigation this release is pure garbage and offers nothing but one upgrade that should've been included in the first version of the WDTV Live. WD should have had the Netflix abilities already built in then simply release a firmware update. I would not recommend anyone spending 149 USD for this upgrade?

File Formats Supported
    Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9
    Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
    Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
    Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
    Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

Note:
    - MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    - MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to 1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation.
    - WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60 or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    - H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution.
    - H.264 MP@L4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    - An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output.
    - Compressed RGB JPEG formats only and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
    - Single layer TIFF files only.
    - Uncompressed BMP only.

For details, please refer to the user manual.

File Formats Not Supported
    Does not support protected premium content such as movies or music from the iTunes« Store, Cinema Now, Movielink«, Amazon Unbox™, and Vongo«

Physical Specifications
    Capacity N/A
    Interface Ethernet, HDMI, Composite A/V, Component video, USB 2.0

Physical Dimensions
    English
    Height 1.57 Inches
    Length 3.94 Inches
    Width 4.94 Inches
    Weight 0.67 Pounds

Metric
    Height 40 mm
    Length 100 mm
    Width 125.5 mm
    Weight 303 g

Environmental Specifications
    Temperature (English)
    Operating 41░ F to 95░ F
    Non-operating -40░ F to 149░ F

Temperature (Metric)
    Operating 5░ C to 35░ C
    Non-operating -40░ C to 65░ C

Electrical Specifications
    Current Requirements
    Power Dissipation
    AC Input Voltage 100-240 VAC
    AC Input Frequency 50-60 Hz
    Reason for edit: Added link to official page
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jun 9 2010, 09:18 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    GaPony
    post Jun 9 2010, 11:44 AM
    Post #2

Thumbnail Guru

Group: Members
    Member No.: 4,361

Newegg.com has it for $119.99 w/free shipping.

It may not be a valued upgrade, but if someone needs a second device, or is looking to buy their first one. This would be a worthwhile purchase.

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jun 9 2010, 12:12 PM
    Post #3

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Only worthwhile if you live in the United States.

+Quote Post
    veda2810
    post Jun 9 2010, 03:06 PM
    Post #4

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 19,315

I want the EXPERT mods in this FORUM to review this product and tell us the major ///difference(except netflix) in between WD TV LIVE and WD TV LIVE PLUS ???

I heard the "PLUS" model supports DVD menus as well..... why doesnt WD ADD support for DVD menu ...in our good old WD TV LIVE ??

And can someone please tell me which version of Sigma chipset do they both use ??

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jun 9 2010, 05:19 PM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

With the newest pre-release beta FW for the Live i.e. 1.03.22, DVD support has apparently been added to the older model as well. So for sure if you're living outside the US, this new product is completely useless.

Some initial thoughts according to the information I have at present regarding the Live Plus and how it was released:

* As usual, WD gave no advance notice regarding this 'new' product to anyone, apparently including their own Resellers/WDSelect Channel Partners! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

* Expectedly, there was a massive sh*t-storm raised about how WD had burnt their existing users as usual, showing absolutely no concern for them at all. I have a friend who had just bought a new Live a few days ago, and when I told him the news, he went completely stark raving bonkers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) about how he was going to throw his player from the roof and buy another manufacturer's offering immediately, since this probably meant the Live would never get DVD menu support now.

* WD subsequently released the beta FW mentioned above for the Live, which supposedly adds full DVD menu support to the older model. Couldn't the morons working in the marketing dept. have mentioned earlier in bold letters on the site that the existing customers would be getting DVD menu support as well, but Netflix wouldn't be possible since hardware changes are involved? That way they could have escaped from some of the abuses at least. But of course, knowing their FW QA dept., why should Marketing be any better? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) WD really needs to learn how to communicate better, but I guess they just don't care or give a damn what we think, just as long as we keep forking over the $$$ to them.

* Releasing a 'new' product just a few months after the Live, with barely any changes is slimy and completely in keeping with WD's known character/behaviour. US customers who bought the Live recently will certainly feel extremely pissed off (and rightly so).

* Moreover, it is speculated that maybe the company line about new hardware being required for Netflix is a blatant lie, which is why the product was never announced and silently released so prople would continue to buy the Live and help WD get rid of their existing inventory. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif) Unless the Live Plus is opened up and the chips etc. inside confirmed as being changed, this will remain speculation. But if proved that there's nothing in the Live Plus that the Live doesn't have, things might get sticky for WD and they may just find themselves the target of one or more lawsuits.

* As for DVD menu support, if it's eventually proved that what the Live is finally getting now is exactly the same as what the Live Plus will ship with, why the *beep* was this most-requested feature (by far) delayed till now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif) Clearly they're more focussed with making people buy newer models by hook or by crook, rather than supporting models released less than a year ago.

* If the Live gets it, I'm pretty sure WD should add DVD menu support to the Gen. 2 as well, considering the hardware inside is the same when it comes to the decoding bits. If they don't, I fully advocate Gen. 2 owners ganging up and filing a lawsuit against the company.

* I don't know what's so special about the chips inside the Gen. 2/Live (maybe someone can tell me?), but if any na´ve soul still thinks the Gen. 1 will get DVD menu support, IMO now's the time to shut up and look elsewhere.

* If they were working on this new model for the last so many months (while ignoring the existing ones), why the hell couldn't they have added more compelling features (such as Blu-Ray menu support) and released a truly useful update a little later? Most probably, the real reason for this unseemly haste was to beat the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex TV (with Netflix and Mediafly support, the latter has been added to the Live and Live Plus as well) to the market, esp. considering the fact that it has a retail price quite similar to that of the Live Plus (while the Live has become slightly cheaper now).

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jun 9 2010, 09:01 PM
    Post #6

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

@WDUser well said brother. WD don't care what we the customers think or say. We have written the press dept. at WD for up to date info on upcoming hardware and software releases many times and have yet to hear back from them.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jun 10 2010, 09:42 AM
    Post #7

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Here's what b-rad had to say:

There is zero difference in the hw except for a few cosmetic bits...such as wdtvl+ has a battery now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

other big feature is auto framerate switching, but we have that now [with WDLXTV-Live?] so no biggy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Oh and ripping the fw won't happen even if you buy a device, unless you have some serious skills. They've *attempted* to lock down the fw this round [by securing the serial] (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Obviously the so-called lock down attempt didn't stop him! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Also as confirmed by a user, you can apparently connect a USB keyboard and have some limited navigation, and you can also type in searches on sites like YouTube/Mediafly.

The very first quote is what troubles me. If b-rad can somehow make the Live support Netflix, then coupled with his observation that there is no difference in hardware (except for Sigma 8654 in the Live Plus vs. 8655 in the Live), this will prove that WD was clearly lying that the Live is incapable of Netflix support. Clearly then the theory that payments to Netflix for every Live caused WD to release the Live Plus would be true. If so, IMO there should be a clear case for American Live owners to demand Netflix support, possibly for a small fee. In any case, irrespective of what WD does, I'm sure b-rad and others will do their best to see that Live owners don't feel left out due to the release of the Live Plus. We all know by now that b-rad and co. have far more brains than possibly all of WD combined. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
    paulgarb
    post Aug 23 2010, 02:30 PM
    Post #8

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 7,725

Oh I am so p!ssed - a 'new' product (Live Plus) with features we want/expect on the 'old' (Live) - no advance warning and (apart from the beta that they squeaked out) not a hint of an update in 6 months. I've defended the Live through the firmware/brick debacle and this is the thanks I get! Forget it WD - you have had your chances and blown every one of them - never again will my hard earned cash come anywhere near one of your products.

All this from me who has preached calm & patience through the dark times - it is all I can do to stop myself ripping the bloody thing out and binning it now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 04:24 AM