Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Update for new Cinavia protection?
    DaveO88
    post Jul 22 2010, 09:10 AM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 5,096

how it sees in future from with the new protection (Cinavia)

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=41581
    that would be playing not possible,

will there be for this then an update with it these contents on the WDTV to WDTV Live are to be played?
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 22 2010, 09:10 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 22 2010, 10:00 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Glad you asked, 'cos I was planning to post about this myself. According to this article, none of the WD TV models are affected so far, unlike the PS3. However, there seems to be some confusion in this regard since according to this post on the official forum, the Live (and possibly other models) might be affected after all.

Indeed, as soon as I can get my hands on the original discs, I plan to test this personally by ripping BluRay releases of The Wolfman, Shutter Island, The Losers and Repo Men (titles known to have this DRM protection) and will report back here with my results. If anyone else can double-check, that would be great. Just be sure to check with the original DTS 5.1 soundtracks and not converted versions (though simple conversion using different codecs doesn't seem to remove the DRM).

Also, I can't say for sure if Cinavia detection will ever be (silently) included in a future FW release for any of the WD TV models (especially the Live, which supports audio watermark detection, or the Live Plus, which has that as well as hardware support for Netflix DRM). It could be possible, especially if usage of this technology becomes widespread (which I think it will), and movie studios/the MPAA start applying pressure on companies like WD to get with the program. I for one hate all forms of DRM, so count me out of supporting any company that includes this crap in their products. Also, I hope someone comes up with a way around this soon. Nothing's impossible for the determined, and in this cat-and-mouse game I believe it's only a matter of time before this protection scheme is broken too, so we can all show the MPAA just what we think of their idiotic outmoded ideas.

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 22 2010, 12:30 PM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Shutter Island does not have this protection.
    The Losers is the first retail BD that has it.

Yes it is really confusing. very often is reported that it will not work. but in this article is the WD and popcorn reported no problems have

Thx

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 22 2010, 02:14 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (DaveO88 @ Jul 22 2010, 11:00 PM) *
    Shutter Island does not have this protection.

According to reports on the net (just Google), TS/CAM releases of The Wolfman and Shutter Island use Cinavia. Apparently even the TS release of Robin Hood uses it. (TS/CAM versions of movies protected with Cinavia trigger Message 1, whereas BR ripped versions trigger Message 3.) I have no idea myself since even if I bothered to waste my time downloading these bad quality early rips, I don't have an updated PS3 to check.

But yes, you're right in that The Losers and Repo Men seem to be the first BR discs to have this protection, though again according to reports not all discs of these movies sold in all regions have Cinavia on them. It's early days, but I'm sure it's a plague that'll infect all releases soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Edit: Cinavia will affect most, if not all, future releases and all new BR players, since all major Hollywood studios and BR player manufacturers (members of the AACS LA cross-industry consortium) have signed on to implement it. So if you have a PS3 or BR player or any other piece of hardware that might be affected by this, be extra careful while updating its firmware!

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 22 2010, 03:11 PM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

I own no PS3 and a BluRay player I have abolished
    Have only software player in the PC and WDTV.
    I use 99.9% the WDTV just, therefore it is important to know whether the statement in the report is appropriately the Cinavia no effect on WDTV and popcorn has.
    would be nice if Shutter Island the new protection would have, because one could say so definitively the Cinavia no effect has

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 22 2010, 05:10 PM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

You can always check for yourself by obtaining any of the releases that are known to have Cinavia according to the comments. As of now there's only that one thread in the official forum that says the Live is affected. We still need more tests to confirm though, and not just on the Live but the other models as well.

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 23 2010, 12:50 AM
    Post #7

WDTV SEMI-PRO

This is the problem. these discs have not appeared in Germany yet.(Aug.2010)
    But I would like to be prepared with pleasure if these appear

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=27...p;postcount=542
    QUOTE (freshbrains)
    I watched losers ripped to mkv on my wdtv last night, no problem with it only watched the first 48 minutes fell asleep. I have the wdtv with just the hdmi and optical out, not the live one. I did not upgrade the firmware on it and I just bought it 2 weeks ago from best buy pretty cool little machine.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=27...p;postcount=548
    QUOTE (freshbrains)
    Just finished loser's everything played fine on the wdtv.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=27...p;postcount=554
    QUOTE (freshbrains)
    this is the model number for the wdtv that I have and it played the loser's blu rip mkv with no problem. Not sure of the firmware I did not upgrade it, just bought it 2 weeks ago from best buy.

PAN AMERICA (NTSC): WDBABF0000NBK-NESN
    Reason for edit: Added more quotes along with links to original posts

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jul 23 2010, 07:16 AM
    Post #8

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

Here you go...

Shutter.Island.2010.GERMAN.720p.BLURAY.x264-HDViSiON
    Shutter.Island.German.DL.1080p.BluRay.x264-EmpireHD
    Shutter.Island.2010.German.AC3D.DL.HDRip.XviD-SG
    Shutter.Island.German.2010.DL.PAL.DVDR-KiNOWELT

Appears to already be in German. Grab usenet account and start downloading. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 23 2010, 08:52 AM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

are the BluRay appearing in August : The Losers & Wolfman

Shutter Island runs fine .
    Shutter Island does not have this protection.The Losers is the first retail BD that has it.

A user in a different forum says this: I watched losers ripped to mkv on my wdtv last night, no problem with it only watched the first 48 minutes fell asleep. I have the wdtv with just the hdmi and optical out, not the live one. I did not upgrade the firmware on it and I just bought it 2 weeks ago from best buy pretty cool little machine.

QUOTE (freshbrains)

^^This is good news

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jul 23 2010, 12:30 PM
    Post #10

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

The Losers 720p Bluray x264 CBGB
    The Losers 1080p Bluray x264 CBGB
    The Losers 2010 PROPER 720p BluRay x264 LCHD
    The Losers 2010 720p BluRay DTS x264 CtrlHD
    The Losers 2010 BluRay 1080p VC1 5 1 WMV INSECTS

These all reported to play just fine on anything besides a PS3 where you will get muted sound and warning message.

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 23 2010, 01:55 PM
    Post #11

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Playing this with WDTV Live? or what the player? If WD Live , which firmware? If WD Live , Cinavia has no effect?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 23 2010, 04:17 PM
    Post #12

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Tested The Losers and got no messages on WD TV 1st Gen. with latest FW (1.03.01). So apparently, the 1st and 2nd Gen. players are Cinavia-free as of now. Which leads me to believe that the Live should be too, for as far as I know, the Sigma chip inside is exactly the same as in the 2nd Gen. Of course, the Live has seen more FW updates recently compared to the 2nd Gen., and obviously the updates have all done different things for the two models. So it's quite possible that any of the updates for the Live could have triggered the audio watermark detection support (which could be tied in to Cinavia).

For that matter, even FW updates for the 2nd Gen. could have triggered the same feature, and it's quite possible the person quoted above bought a model with older FW on it. So DaveO88, do ask him (freshbrains) to confirm exactly which FW version he has installed.

So as of now, one release known to have Cinavia has checked out fine on the 1st Gen. with latest FW. The 2nd Gen. has also checked out fine, but we don't know with which FW yet. As for the Live, we still need to confirm if the latest stable and beta FW versions are affected or not. We also need Live Plus owners to chime in regarding this issue, since theirs is the model known to have the most DRM support.

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 23 2010, 06:08 PM
    Post #13

WDTV SEMI-PRO

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=27...p;postcount=582
    QUOTE (callmebob)
    I have a WDTV Live Plus in my bedroom and am testing out The Losers. I'm about 25 minutes in and it is still playing fine.

QUOTE (freshbrains)

OK have now asked both users which firmware use.
    Just wait for response

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 25 2010, 02:16 PM
    Post #14

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (freshbrains)
    the firmware I have is 1.01.70

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 26 2010, 11:52 AM
    Post #15

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

1.01.70? I think that was the original FW the Gen. 2 came with. Interesting to see if any of the newer FW versions enable Cinavia or not.

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 26 2010, 05:28 PM
    Post #16

WDTV SEMI-PRO

He says he has not changed the FW since purchase .
    I myself have just (at the moment) the WD v.1 , have ordered me still the WD v.2 . would test even liked it because I so know it how to upgraded and downgradet but sadly lacking on the film stock which have the Cinavia protection .

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jul 26 2010, 06:18 PM
    Post #17

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

No worries about what firmware you have, we keep all firmwares on the forum so its easy to revert back.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 27 2010, 02:58 AM
    Post #18

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Yes, that is also very good.
    but there are users that do not change the FW as long as it works.
    and I cannot expect that someone switches the FW to test something Yes. And if the test then doesn't work then chaos erupts for some because they don't know how to the FW downgradet or do not trust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Greetings

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 27 2010, 02:28 PM
    Post #19

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Dave, you're right in that most people don't bother doing risky things like firmware flashing/updates, especially if things work fine already. In fact, I'm sure the number of Live owners updating their FW is far, far more than Gen. 1/2 or Mini owners, purely because the Live downloads the updates automatically and pops up a nice message, that even a relatively clueless person can follow, who otherwise wouldn't bother with all the downloading, formatting, rebooting, waiting, nail-biting, switching pen drives etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

We need to find more people who don't mind upgrading or downgrading their FW regularly in order to test things (i.e. experiment in the name of science/technology!) Then we can create a comprehensive list of any Cinavia-affected WD TV models and the FW versions affected.

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 27 2010, 05:02 PM
    Post #20

WDTV SEMI-PRO

here in Germany would be for me to find it because I have a thread for the correct management of the WDTV 1/2 easily others (like movies are created as correct Autio create DTS to AC3 or creating images from folder http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=30997 )
    but unfortunately it here so that the stocks that have the new protection still are not. But I'll try I get more information

Greetings

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:42 PM