Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Update for new Cinavia protection?
    WDUser
    post Jul 27 2010, 05:49 PM
    Post #21

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=27...p;postcount=660
    QUOTE (DrinkLyeAndDie)

More importantly, just how deep into the chain of hardware will Cinavia detection wind up existing. It is being implemented in standalone Blu-Ray players and some media playback devices like the WD Live. Is there a chance we might wind up seeing Cinavia quietly slipped into receivers and televisions? That way even if you used a standalone media player or software player that ignored the watermark you still wouldn't actually get around the problem. How willing would the manufacturers be to adding this and in what manner could it be imposed on them [if at all] if they are unwilling?

Till date except for the single post on the official forum, I haven't seen anyone else complain about Cinavia issues with any of the WD TV models anywhere. Most probably the poster on the official forum was mistaken too, 'cos otherwise I'd love to see a snap of the Cinavia error message being displayed by a WD TV. So I find it funny that even mods on the SlySoft forum are mentioning Cinavia detection on the Live as if it has been conclusively proved. Till a Live owner can test the affected titles with preferably the latest FW installed, IMO the Live is Cinavia free. "Innocent till proven guilty" is what I say! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

P.S. Dave, one possible problem with your testing the German release (i.e. any language disc sold in Germany) of The Losers or Repo Men is that unless you know for sure that the copy you've bought has Cinavia on it, how can you be certain that your WD TV has Cinavia detection or not? If you check a non-Cinavia disc rip, obviously the player won't complain and you might mistakenly conclude that it isn't affected by this DRM crap. The only way to confirm the presence of Cinavia as of now seems to be to try and play the disc/rip on a PS3 first. If the PS3 complains, then Cinavia is present, and so the same disc/rip can then be tested elsewhere.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 27 2010, 05:49 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 27 2010, 06:55 PM
    Post #22

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 5,096

solane still are not exactly the discs must I refer to what other users already have this disc (US) reporting. Not even sure there in Germany is whether this protection at all on it will be.(must be assumed). Hmm a PS3 I do not own
    But as already said yes two users (WD2 & WD life plus) reported "The loser" with Cinavia successfully run.
    I will but ask what the statement that there are problems with WD life based.

+Quote Post
    DaveO88
    post Jul 28 2010, 06:36 AM
    Post #23

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 5,096

QUESTION

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=27...p;postcount=676
    QUOTE (DaveO88)
    What is based this statement that also the WD life of which is affected, and what is the error message when WD life?
    because two users report WD 2 and WD life plus "The Loser" ran successfully. What me something surprising can because just the WD 2 and WD life with exactly the same Sigma chip equipped. so if the WD 2 runs it would have to go at the WD life also.

ANSWER

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=27...p;postcount=677
    QUOTE (DrinkLyeAndDie)
    My statements were based on the little I've heard and read related to [some reported] issues with the WD Live. The information about the WD Live may or may not be entirely accurate. I really have no idea at this point. At the time I made the post I believed there was an actual issue.

I haven't really spent any time reading about it in other forums because I lack the time. I use my Oppo BDP-83 for standalone Blu-Ray playback and I stream to it via a few different DLNA streaming applications from one of my PCs so I'm not impacted by any of this [for the time being].

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 28 2010, 03:56 PM
    Post #24

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Exactly what I said, that without proper confirmation, as far as we know the Live is not affected.

+Quote Post
    mabuk
    post Jul 29 2010, 06:31 PM
    Post #25

WDTV USER

Member No.: 22,913

Hello.

I joined this forum to d/l the old WD TV firmwares because I was concerned by Cinavia being implemented in the latest beta's.

Well, I also thought I'd better contribute something. I have a WD TV Live with the latest beta (1.03.35), so I got hold of "The Losers 720p Bluray x264 CBGB" to test it out.

Initially there was no audio. Then I remembered that because it's a new release it was probably compiled with MKVMerge 4.1.1. I checked (with mediainfo), and sure enough it was. This has audio header compression set to ON by default. Unfortunately the WD TV currently isn't fully compliant with the MKV standard and so doesn't recognise the audio. I simply re-muxed with audio header compression set to NONE and the audio returned.

In conclusion, if the above file has Cinavia on it then the WD TV is ignoring it. The change in default settings for MKVMerge will lead to a lot of false positives. On the site where I got it ,several people with PS3's complained of no audio with this file. (But I don't know if the PS3 has a problem with header compression.)

I can understand implementing this protection in players that require the physical disc, but why would any media player company deploy it - they're designed to play blu-ray and dvd images, after all.

(PS Hated the film - it's like watching a 90min music video)

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jul 29 2010, 11:28 PM
    Post #26

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

@mabuk, welcome to the forums and thanks for letting us know what you've experienced with Cinavia protected movies.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 30 2010, 04:00 PM
    Post #27

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Thanks for the info., mabuk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (mabuk @ Jul 30 2010, 05:01 AM) *
    I can understand implementing this protection in players that require the physical disc, but why would any media player company deploy it - they're designed to play blu-ray and dvd images, after all.

Precisely, and playing back disc images means the original disc's copy protection has been circumvented/stripped. Also, the MPAA seems to hyperventilate and go into paroxysms of outrage when people even whisper about backup copies of legitimate purchases, so when they see talk of disc images, they're bound to shout "piracy!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Thus I wouldn't put it past them to pressurise the US Congress to pass laws that will make it mandatory for manufacturers of such digital media players to incorporate DRM technology in them. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but given the past record of the MPAA/RIAA suing people left, right and centre, I think they're very well capable of despicable acts of depravity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Anyway, the results of our tests so far are as follows:

WD TV Mini: Not tested

WD TV HD (1st Gen.): The Losers did not cause any problems with latest (final) FW v1.03.01

WD TV HD (2nd Gen.): The Losers did not cause any problems with old FW v1.01.70, and Green Hornet did not cause any problems with latest (final) FW v1.01.77

WD TV Live HD (1st Gen.): The Losers did not cause any problems with old beta FW v1.03.35

WD TV Live Plus HD (2nd Gen.): The Losers did not cause any problems with old FW v1.03.29

WD TV Live Hub Media Center: Not tested

As and when they release more discs with this DRM crap on them, we'll run further tests, especially with newer FW releases. As of now though, we need Mini owners to test a 720p release for us with the latest FW installed, and updated Gen. 2 owners to do the same with 720p or 1080p releases, as long as they're known to have Cinavia.

P.S. To make testing easier for everyone, we need a PS3 owner to first of all confirm that a file has Cinavia and pops up the error message. Next we need the file progressively chopped up into smaller and smaller bits till we reach a point where the sample still is guaranteed to trigger the error. If possible, the video quality can be degraded since that will bring down the file size and shouldn't affect the audio track and thus the Cinavia watermarking. Also, one important thing to keep in mind is that if an MKV sample is being created, be sure to disable header removal compression in MKVMerge, since this may be confused with Cinavia and cause false positives. Once this sample is made available to everyone for easy download, we can all keep it at hand or even burn a copy to disc to test the various players we own (not just WD TVs). So, is anyone up for the challenge? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

P.P.S. As mentioned repeatedly on this forum, if you're having audio problems with MKVs, try this fix first before assuming that it's a Cinavia-related issue.

+Quote Post
    seanb
    post Jul 17 2011, 07:13 PM
    Post #28

WDTV USER

Member No.: 69,938

I was going to apologize for bumping an old thread, but it's a sticky, so I think i'm okay.

P.S. To make testing easier for everyone, we need a PS3 owner to first of all confirm that a file has Cinavia and pops up the error message. Next we need the file progressively chopped up into smaller and smaller bits till we reach a point where the sample still is guaranteed to trigger the error. If possible, the video quality can be degraded since that will bring down the file size and shouldn't affect the audio track and thus the Cinavia watermarking.

I just moved, so my PS3 is still packed, my DTS system is still in a box, and my new tv wont be here for about a month, but i want to register myself for this challenge. I had been planning to buy a popcorn hour for some time, but today noticed that the WD TV Live Plus HD is over 65% cheaper (than the C300 i was gonna get)

But cinavia scares the crap outta me. Since the WD TV Live Plus HD doesn't have a blu ray player, it would seem immune to Cinavia requirements. However it would be nice to hear that from an official source.

In any case, i will make your "short cinavia tripper" when i have a system that can test it.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 18 2011, 12:18 AM
    Post #29

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Welcome to the forum, sean, and thanks for the offer of help in your very first post! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As far as we know, Cinavia has still not reared its ugly head on any of the WD TV models in any official firmware release (only the last 3 from the list above are being sold anyway).

Since it is unfortunately an official AACS requirement, Cinavia will affect all Blu-ray players eventually, unless they came with older FW and haven't been updated so far (tricky when you end up with newer discs that (deliberately?) refuse to play unless you update).

Hardware players like the WD TV seem to be in the clear as of now, but it pays to be alert, right?

+Quote Post
    suttonr
    post Aug 1 2011, 09:20 AM
    Post #30

WDTV USER

Member No.: 72,778

i have just ordered the wd tv live hub 1TB media center WDBACA0010BBK had the problem with my ps3 again last night so finally got fed up with cinavia. Will test on the new system that comes tomorrow will also check the firmware version it is running and report. Have pre downloaded all the older firmwares ready just in case i need to go backwards.
    Will try to let you all know asap if it works on this device.

Testing done.

Ok if it helps i have a synology NAS ds1511+ with file share. When i first pluged in the wd tv live hub it would not see the NAS only my windows 7 pc and (tversity for the ps3) . So did the online update through the interface on the wd tv live hub to the latest version.

As soon as it rebooted the NAS was there (upnp turned off) so all good. The setup process was easy adding username and password for the NAS.
    Most of my bought movies i converted to AVI as the ps3 likes these the most, but i do have a few iso images and .mkv files. All played perfectly through the wd tv so very happy with that and quick too no jumping at all. My house is networked cat6 so i am hard cabled from the switch to the wd tv live hub.

The best news for me was no cinavia. There were 2 films i was given as an avi and both on the ps3 stopped playing. one after about 5 mins with i think a message 1 code and the other after about 20 mins gave error code 3 and would blank the audio. Both of these films now play all the way through with no issues. So thumbs up from me great bit of kit and plays all the files i have and full iso's too so couldn't be happier. The ps3 will now collect dust as is now only a games machine and with small kids you never get to play as they always just want the controller off you.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 12:26 AM