Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Image which flashes
    xjr13sp
    post Jul 26 2010, 10:48 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 22,796

Hi,

Excuse me by advance for my bad english... I wish I will be clear in my explanations....
    I bought recenly the WD HD TV Live box, and I meet a problem: sometimes, the video on my plasma TV is flashes. This is nos regular, it can flash 2 times a second or 1 time for 10 seconds. All of the connectings seem to be ok. Sometime it not flashes at all.

Of course, I wait for scanning and I execute the video files after scanning is full ok.

Here are is configuration:
    TV: plasma 42"
    External disc: 1 TB containing DVD files (VOB files)
    WD box is connected via HDMI

Thank you if you can help me
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 26 2010, 10:48 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 26 2010, 01:28 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

1. Does the menu also flash, or does this problem show up only while watching video?

2. Does the flashing still occur with other connections such as composite/component? If not, try different HDMI 1.2/1.3 cables since often these are the main cause.

3. Is the flashing reproducible? That is, does a particular file always flash at a particular rate (or not flash) every time you play it?

4. Do all VOBs flash sometimes or some never do?

5. How are you ripping the VOBs? Try using AnyDVD if you aren't already.

6. What about other file types? Do they ever exhibit this problem?

7. Have you tried changing the player's resolution setting from "Auto" to something else?

8. I think you can switch the player between NTSC and PAL (see the manual for more), so are you sure you're not trying to play PAL DVDs with the player set to NTSC, or vice versa?

9. Did you try the soft reset option or the hard reset button (see the manual for more) yet?

10. Which firmware version do you have installed (check the About screen)?

11. Are you bored of questions yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
    xjr13sp
    post Jul 26 2010, 11:16 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

1. Does the menu also flash, or does this problem show up only while watching video?
    ==> Yes it does, but sometimes it does not flash at all (menu or videos)

2. Does the flashing still occur with other connections such as composite/component? If not, try different HDMI 1.2/1.3 cables since often these are the main cause.
    ==> I didn't try with other than hdmi and I don't know if this cable is 1.2 or 1.3

3. Is the flashing reproducible? That is, does a particular file always flash at a particular rate (or not flash) every time you play it?
    ==> Yes it is. But as in question 1, it is random. I am testing for now and it doesn't flash!!

4. Do all VOBs flash sometimes or some never do?
    ==> Yes, and MKV files too, and menu too

5. How are you ripping the VOBs? Try using AnyDVD if you aren't already.
    ==> With DVD Shrink or downloaded VOBs

6. What about other file types? Do they ever exhibit this problem?
    ==> Yes, all files (videos, jpg...)

7. Have you tried changing the player's resolution setting from "Auto" to something else?
    ==> Yes I tried

8. I think you can switch the player between NTSC and PAL (see the manual for more), so are you sure you're not trying to play PAL DVDs with the player set to NTSC, or vice versa?
    ==> My system is defined on PA and I can't change it :-//

9. Did you try the soft reset option or the hard reset button (see the manual for more) yet?
    ==> Yes, I treid it now but no amelioration

10. Which firmware version do you have installed (check the About screen)?
    ==> 1.01.77

This evening I will try other hdmi cable because this one is a "low cost" cable...
    The WD box is connected to my A/V receiver (Onkyo). I will try to connect it directly to my TV...

Thank you for your help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
    11. Are you bored of questions yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 27 2010, 03:28 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Ok, so menus also flash and not just files, which means it's a hardware issue. Things to try:

1. Besides testing other HDMI 1.2/1.3 cables, do confirm whether flashing still occurs with composite/component connections.

2. Connect player using HDMI/composite/component to another TV, to rule out a problem with your TV.

QUOTE (xjr13sp @ Jul 27 2010, 09:46 AM) *
    ==> My system is defined on PA and I can't change it :-//

If you check the manual, it clearly states that you need to press the reset button for 1 second to reset the unit. Pressing and holding the button for 10 seconds will toggle between NTSC and PAL. In any case, since you said the menu also flashes and so do other file types besides VOB, this is not an issue with NTSC/PAL, as that would show up only while playing VOBs.

QUOTE (xjr13sp @ Jul 27 2010, 09:46 AM) *
    ==> 1.01.77

This tells me you have an updated Gen. 2 and not the Live. You can confirm by checking your model number using the first link in my sig below. I have moved this thread to the Gen. 2 section now, since folks need to post in the appropriate section for their model.

+Quote Post
    xjr13sp
    post Jul 28 2010, 09:36 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Well, yesterday evening I watched a film and it worked well. I started the WD box without any disc connected to, in order to verify if flash: no flashing! I connected the disc to the WD box and the box scanned the drive ok. And so I watched the film ok...

I remember that when it flashes, the light for USB in WD box flashed too!! And when it works correctly, this light doen't flash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)

Today I tryed same way, and I have no flashing images on TV. I don't know if it comes from the box or other issue (hdmi cable, usb cable, or other). I will let you know...

About the last issue (gen 2) I can confirm my WD box is not Live model, but the one you told me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards
    JJ

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 10:17 PM