Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       support for ext2/ext3
    ChinaRot
    post Aug 5 2010, 02:11 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 23,337

I miss (and wish) the support for ext3 file system like the normal WDTV v1.0 ...

I bought the WDTV v1.0 first and WDTV mini as second for a second screen. And every thing that works with for the big one doesn't works for the mini - like the converter software (wrong codec) or no support for standard file systems like ext3 ... the differences between both systems are a mess ... I need a completely different infrastructure for both (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Aug 5 2010, 02:11 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 5 2010, 02:20 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

QUOTE (ChinaRot @ Aug 6 2010, 12:41 AM) *
    I miss (and wish) the support for ext3 file system like the normal WDTV v1.0 ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Eh? None of the WD TV models support the ext3 file system without custom FW on them.

+Quote Post
    ChinaRot
    post Aug 6 2010, 07:08 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Mhhh

... since years I use a 80GB WD passport HDD with two partitions - the first (only 2 GB) is formated with FAT32 - the second (78GB) is formated with ext3
    ... I use the FAT32 partition to provide the ext3 driver for the Windows OS and the ext3 to save files (mostly movies)
    ... this setup works very well and solve all the FAT and NTFS problems (if some file bigger than 4GB on FAT, or you are not the administrator for NTFS)

... anyway - I was very happy as I bought the first WDTV because this HDD runs also with the player
    ... I doesn't use a custom FW ... I run the newest original FW from this homepage

I have no idea why, for the first model of WDTV it works very well, but not for the mini - and so I wish the ext2/ext3 support for the mini :-) ...

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 6 2010, 12:13 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

You mean with official FW you are able to access ext3 using a 1st Gen. WD TV? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I'd love to know how you got that to work. What does the FAT32 partition contain exactly, and how is the ex3 driver loaded? Also, maybe Windows recognises it, but how does the player's firmware (which officially doesn't support ext3) manage to recognise and load the ext3 driver?

+Quote Post
    ChinaRot
    post Aug 7 2010, 10:16 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

QUOTE (WDUser @ Aug 6 2010, 11:13 AM) *
    Also, maybe Windows recognises it, but how does the player's firmware (which officially doesn't support ext3) manage to recognise and load the ext3 driver?

That's the point - you are right. I use the FAT32 partition and the driver only if I plug the HDD to a windows operating system.
    For the WDTV is no external driver necessary. It is possible to plug the HDD at the WDTV and than the WDTV is scanning the USB device and will find two partitions - one with FAT32 and one with ext3. No driver installation, the FAt32 partition is not important for the player. I can run films directly from the ext3 file system without any doing.

FW is 1.03.01 (downloaded from here)
    P/N: WD00AVP-00
    S/N: WNT291336798

I have no idea why, but it works.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 7 2010, 12:16 PM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

How about linking to the ext3 driver in question? Also let me know if you did anything special while installing said driver, changed any config files etc. I'd like to check this out for myself and see if it works on my Gen. 1.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 04:07 PM