Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD Elements Play, Is it a Live with built in Hard Disc?
    j2000
    post Aug 10 2010, 07:19 AM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 22,815

Just saw this and it looks like its just a live with built in Hard Disc. Im just curious and wondering if it would have the same mp4 sync issues as the live/gen 2.

It says "DVD navigation with complete menu navigation, chapter listings, special features, and subtitles" This is not on the Gen 2 so i guess its got better firmware!

I guess we can expect a WD Elements Play Live next. No wonder WD dont offer very good firmware support if they are busy with all these new things!

They must of based the firmware development for this one on the live due to the bugs in the gen 2 and just stripped the networking stuff, other features seem to match.

Here are my thoughts on it:

Good:

Hopefully they would of fixed any sync issues?????

Bad:

I think i would just prefer a live with a 1tb passport. The passport can then be used for other stuff and also we know B-Rad is working on the live. I doubt he will make a CF for this.

What does everyone else think?
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Aug 10 2010, 07:19 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 14 2010, 04:35 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Attached File  WD_Elements_Play.jpg ( 32.61K ) Number of downloads: 13

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=862

Available in PAL/NTSC 1 and 2TB versions.

Has FLV (D1 resolution only) and RM/RMVB 8/9/10 support that all models except the Mini lack (I think the Mini lacks FLV support as well).

Only completely new codec support seems to be for lossless APE (Monkey's Audio).

Has full DVD menu support apparently, but no BluRay menu support of course.

HDMI, composite and component connections (plus optical audio).

No networking, only a USB 2.0 connection.

All in all a sad product that I wouldn't recommend over any of the WD TV models except the Mini, since this one can do 1080p video unlike that underpowered player. In any case, if you do want a highly stripped-down Live and prefer an in-built hard disk for some reason, you can look into products such as LaCie's LaCinema range for example.

QUOTE (j2000 @ Aug 10 2010, 05:49 PM) *
    I guess we can expect a WD Elements Play Live next. No wonder WD dont offer very good firmware support if they are busy with all these new things!

Yep, this is their grand 'strategy' as far as we know. Support for existing users be damned when they can make money bilking more people...

Hopefully they would of fixed any sync issues?????

Ha, you're joking, right?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I think i would just prefer a live with a 1tb passport. The passport can then be used for other stuff and also we know B-Rad is working on the live. I doubt he will make a CF for this.

I would say the possibility of custom FW for this is very, very low indeed. b-rad has his hands full with WDLXTV for the Live and Live Plus now anyway, to the exclusion of all else.

+Quote Post
    j2000
    post Aug 16 2010, 03:15 PM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 22,815

Its true, if WD cant firmware suport the products they have released then i dont intend to get another WD media player.

I can see the HMDI logo on the back and its on the box so it must suport that

I guess it must contain a 3.5 inch drive.

Anyway it wont get moviesheets and i am loving them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 16 2010, 05:26 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

You're right, it has an HDMI port. It wasn't listed on the device's page under Specifications / Interface. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Still doesn't change my opinion of the product one bit though.

+Quote Post
    supermanofsteel
    post Aug 21 2010, 07:48 PM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 4,515

QUOTE (WDUser @ Aug 14 2010, 01:35 PM) *
    if you do want a highly stripped-down Live and prefer an in-built hard disk for some reason, you can look into products such as LaCie's LaCinema range for example.

I have the Lacie's LaCinema HD player and I'm having a lot of problems with it. Despite a few minor inconveniences, I've been pretty satisfied with the WDTV thus far, I might actually try this player as well.

Unfortunately, the link you provided doesn't show how to purchase it. After signing in to the online store, I tried searching for the product to no avail. Can anyone provide a link?

+Quote Post
    fapg
    post Feb 14 2012, 05:53 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 105,794

There are a change to view a custom firmware for this device? (WD Elements Play)? I would apreciate.

Regards,

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 14 2012, 01:21 PM
    Post #7

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Haven't seen any custom FW for the Elements Play yet.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:16 AM