Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Black Screen?
    TheGatekeeper
    post Aug 14 2010, 08:49 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 95

I've had my WDTV for a long time, and it gets a ton of use. Just today my wife informed me of a problem. I checked it out and I am having issues. What is happening is on some movies when we start it the screen goes totally blank and just hangs. Nothing at all. But if you push the back or home button you can go back. At first I thought it was just a problem with .mkv files, but have problems with some .avi as well.

I thought at first it was because I recently changed HDs. My 3.5 external died and I am waiting for it's replacement. So I am using a 2.5 external. But I also seem to have this problem when I tried a USB thumb drive. And it is one I have used in the past. Plus some of the files not working are ones that I have viewed before, so I know it's not a compatibility problem. I did a factory reset but no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way these things can stop working? It's not a heat problem, it does get warm, but it's not overheating.

Thanks guys.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Aug 14 2010, 08:49 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 15 2010, 03:00 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Of course they can stop working. Everything fails over time, sooner or later. If you can rule out everything else involved, right from the cables to the TV, the HDD etc., then it must be the player.

+Quote Post
    keyser
    post Aug 29 2010, 01:51 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 24,674

Hi.

I have the exact same problem. It happend just yesterday. Every video (mostly .mkv) I try to play starts with a black screen. I've also tried to play files I know worked fine before, but they won't start now.

I've tried using 2 different external drives but there no difference.

What do you think?

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
    keyser
    post Aug 29 2010, 10:31 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 24,674

Well, my problem solved.
    I think my problem was due to an unsupported file i tried to play. The WD tv HD black screens when I tried to play the unsupported file and then when I tried to play another supported file the unsupported file remains in the "memory", making it impossible to start anything.

My solution was to pull the plug for an hour or so. Jacked it back in, and it's working again.

+Quote Post
    pismobook
    post Dec 14 2010, 09:21 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (keyser @ Aug 29 2010, 10:31 PM) *
    Well, my problem solved.
    I think my problem was due to an unsupported file i tried to play. The WD tv HD black screens when I tried to play the unsupported file and then when I tried to play another supported file the unsupported file remains in the "memory", making it impossible to start anything.

My solution was to pull the plug for an hour or so. Jacked it back in, and it's working again.

i have the same issue here. all files are not playable now. tne files i know that worked before. i haven't try your solution yet.
    but i also curious to know the cause, so next time it won't happen again.
    or is it start failing?
    thx

+Quote Post
    dalles78
    post Jan 5 2011, 07:58 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 17,266

I have the exact same problem and unplugging the player from power supply doesnt help. I cant get any file to play except pictures. Changed the firmware couple of times (official to WDLXTV and back) and that solved the problem once. But now the problem is back and I cant use the player at all. Very annoying. If someone comes across a solution let me know please. Thanks!

+Quote Post
    Photoco
    post Jan 20 2011, 04:02 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 39,730

I got the same error, every file that i could play before wont play again.. The solution for me is/was
    Copy all your movies from the external harddrive to you harddisk on your computer (to back them up) format your external harddisk, after formating place the movies again on your external drive, this solved the problem.. Keep also in mind that when you remove the external drive from your computer to do it on the safe unplug mode. By just unplug the drive could create some cluster problems on the external harddrive, looks like that the wdtv couldnt handle it very well. So just format your harddrive and place movies on it.. Problem should be fixed.. In my case it helped, i tried everyrhing else, changing hdmi, firmware's etc.. But the hd format solved it.
    Good luck with it.. And if it helpd you to please ley me know.
    Regards
    Co

+Quote Post
    mrlenkey
    post Jan 28 2011, 05:50 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Member No.: 40,978

QUOTE (dalles78 @ Jan 5 2011, 07:58 AM) *
    I have the exact same problem and unplugging the player from power supply doesnt help. I cant get any file to play except pictures. Changed the firmware couple of times (official to WDLXTV and back) and that solved the problem once. But now the problem is back and I cant use the player at all. Very annoying. If someone comes across a solution let me know please. Thanks!

Try this: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/WDTV-HD-FAQs/td-p/66636

G) How to Re-encode

If you have a file that is not supported or causes playback issues on the WDTV, consider “Re-encoding” them using a program such as HandBrake (http://www.handbrake.fr). Handbrake supports a large number of input file types, and software is available for Windows, *nix, and Macintosh systems. Import the file into Handbrake, select the “High Profile” preset, and output to MKV using h.264 video. Try the resulting MKV file on the WDTV. If the bit rate is still too high, you can try increasing the “RF” factor to numbers higher than 22. Quality will be degraded as the RF as increased, but so will the required bandwidth. A side benefit of re-encoding is that the resulting files will often be significantly smaller than the source media with no noticeable loss of quality.

H) I still need help! My file is causing problems and I don’t know what to do next.

Install the freeware software called MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net). Load the file with MediaInfo, and select VIEW/Text. Copy the results and paste them along with your question into the correct forum topic.

I) I have some MKV files that the WDTV doesn’t play. Either there's video but no audio, or it won't...

The Matroska specification allows for a form of compression called “Header Removal,” that before recently was rarely encountered. The WDTV players do not support this form of compression, and may not give an error if it’s encountered.

Recent versions (Version 4.1.0, July 1, 2010 and later) of the popular MKVMerge tool (which is used to create many MKV files) turn this feature ON by default on audio and certain video tracks.

If you suspect that this is your issue (MEDIAINFO will report the Writing Library as MKVMERGE Version 4.1 or later) you can correct it by loading the file into MKVMERGE, then selecting the track(s). Click the Extra Settings Tab and set Compression to NONE. Re-mux the file. This turns OFF the Header Removal Compression and restores the file.

The MKVInfo tool will also explicitly state the form of compression used for each track.

J) After attempting to play an MKV file affected by the issue described in Section 2I, I am unable t...

As described in Section 2I, certain MKV files will not be playable. Further, if an attempt is made to play such a file, it may render the WDTV unable to play ANY video files after that. The main symptom of this is that the screen just goes black, without the On-Screen-Display that usually appears when a file starts playing. You may also notice when browsing videos, that the name of the .mkv that had the header compression, is displayed at the top of the browser, as if it was an audio file playing in the background while you browse your media.

To recover from this condition, perform all the steps outlined in Section 1G and either delete or re-mux any compressed header .mkv files.It worked for me.

It worked for me.

+Quote Post
    divinewrite
    post Jan 30 2011, 07:32 PM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 41,322

I'm having this problem regularly. On all sorts of movie files. I can work around it by resetting the unit to factory defaults, but that takes some time, and kinda defeats the purpose of having a wiz-bang machine to play movies.

Does the drive format solution work permanently? (I'm streaming movies from a drive on my computer.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 12:31 AM