Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Can't see new 3TB Seagate GoFlex
    double-g
    post Sep 28 2010, 11:04 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 26,861

Hi,

I just got this media player and after putting my pictures and movies on it, I tried to connect it to the media player. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to detect it. It may be in sleep mode, but the player doesn't detect it. Any ideas? Player is not helpful if it can't connect to the drive, which is brand new. Would the beta firmware help? Thanks a lot!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Sep 28 2010, 11:04 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 28 2010, 03:06 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

What's the drive formatted as? Maybe you can try to delete all existing partitions, then create one new partition and format it afresh as NTFS and see if it works.

+Quote Post
    double-g
    post Sep 28 2010, 03:25 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

It's NTFS. The problem is not that it doesn't see the contents, but that it doesn't even detect that there's a drive, it says no attached storage. Other drives seem to work...

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Sep 28 2010, 05:28 PM
    Post #4

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

is that one single 3TB drive or a multiple drive enclosure totaling 3TB?

+Quote Post
    double-g
    post Sep 28 2010, 06:18 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Single drive, SEAGATE STAC3000400 3.0TB FreeAgnt GoFlex Desk USB Hard Drive to be exact. It works well with other computers, just not this media player. I'm guessing for some reason it can't "wake" it up or the drive is in a state that the player doesn't like... Quite disconcerning...

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Sep 28 2010, 07:16 PM
    Post #6

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

I remember reading somewhere about the original WDTV having a 2TB drive capacity, no idea if that has been upgraded for newer players or not, can't find anything that says any size, only this:

Note: While most USB hard drives and flash drives will work with the WD TV Live HD Media Player, we have done the majority of our testing using Western Digital hard drives. As a result we cannot guarantee compatibility with any specific third-party hard drives.

and this:

The WD TV HD Media Player (WDAVx00) supports NTFS, FAT32 and HFS file systems for media playback. There is a limitation with HFS Journaled file system and WD TV Media Library™ feature.

The WD TV Mini Media Player supports NTFS, FAT32 HFS, and HFS+ file systems for media playback. There is a limitation with HFS/HFS+ Journaled file systems and the WD TV Media Library™ feature.

The WD TV Live HD Media Player, The WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player and the WD TV HD Media Player (WDBABx) supports NTFS, FAT32, HFS and HFS+ file systems for media playback.
    The WD TV Media Library™ feature supports NTFS, FAT32 and HFS (non-journaled) file systems. These file systems will allow the WD TV Media Library™ feature to aggregate the content and write the Media Library file to the connected storage device. Although HFS Journaled file systems are not compatible with WD TV Media Library™ feature, all versions of the WD TV can playback all supported media types by browsing the content via Folder View.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 29 2010, 02:21 PM
    Post #7

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Yeah, could be the capacity. Ask WD Support if the player officially supports 3TB drives or not. Do let us know their reply as well.

+Quote Post
    double-g
    post Sep 29 2010, 05:12 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

QUOTE (WDUser @ Sep 29 2010, 12:21 PM) *
    Yeah, could be the capacity. Ask WD Support if the player officially supports 3TB drives or not. Do let us know their reply as well.

OK. Thanks.

+Quote Post
    lukbuster
    post Sep 29 2010, 05:23 PM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 7,810

I have the same 3 TB hard drive and am experiencing the same problem.

I have two external drives plugged into the media player. A 2TB WD drive and the 3 TB Seagate drive, which was mentioned above.

The 2 TB drive shows up fine. The 3 TB does not.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 30 2010, 08:06 AM
    Post #10

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Looks like 2TB is the max then, but I hope one of you can get WD to officially confirm this.

+Quote Post
    isacumi
    post Oct 9 2010, 06:39 AM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 27,551

Hi !

I have the same problem
    Actually i see hte 3TB disk and media, but most of content it is not playable.
    In fact, hen i try copy or move that content i receive a message saying "no content"....something like if my wd tv live can not see the entire hard disk.

Some solution?

I have updated my WD TV Live to: 1.03.41 Firmware. Problem continue.

Waiting solution.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 9 2010, 07:53 PM
    Post #12

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

@isacumi: Which 3TB drive are you using? The same Seagate one mentioned above? It's interesting that yours is at least visible (and the media too). Maybe you can try partitioning the drive as 2 x 1.5 TB and see if that might help?

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Oct 9 2010, 07:58 PM
    Post #13

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

I read extensively on the 'official' WD forum and it indeed looks like 2TB is the max for all of their current media players (per USB port)

anyone with a larger drive than 2TB is SOL it seems at this point. even if it sees it, it's unlikely it will work according to what I have read this evening..

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 9 2010, 09:58 PM
    Post #14

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Ok, apparently there's much more to this than meets the eye. At first I thought (partially incorrectly, see below) that since NTFS doesn't have a 2TB partition size limit, why the heck is the player having problems with a 3TB single-partition drive? Turns out according to Seagate that:

Internally the 3TB drive uses 512-byte sectors, however the GoFlex dock emulates a 4K drive to allow for a single 3TB partition to be created in Windows.

If you didn't understand that, see the links below for more technical info. If that whooshes above your head as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) , just know that these are a new class of Advanced Format drives, and that internal drives 3TB in size aren't even available yet (generally internals are available much before they're packaged in enclosures and sold as externals). The Seagate drive's enclosure is apparently doing some funky stuff to allow a single 3TB partition to be created in Windows, most likely for maximum Windows XP compatibility (see below).

Newer versions of Linux (for example Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx onwards) and Mac OS (OS X 10.2 onwards) don't have the 2TB limit. As for NTFS, the maximum partition size is 2TB with normal 512 byte sectors. NTFS actually has an upper limit of 16 Exabytes (EB, or 16 million TB), but since current industry standards limit the partition table to 2^32 sectors (with 512B sectors, that's 2 TB), the actual current upper limit is 2 TB. However, with a GUID Partition Table, an Advanced Format drive should have no problems with >2TB raw partitions on Windows Vista+ as well (note however that Windows file systems currently are limited to 256TB each.)

So unless the Linux version used in the player is updated, the limit will remain. Guess this is the problem you have when you're such an early adopter. As mentioned on AnandTech (link below):

The last IDEMA plan called for everyone to have 4K-sector drives by 2011, so everyone should be launching within the next year here. Everyone using 512B emulation is going to run in to the same teething issues with Win 5.x [i.e. 2000, XP, 2003, WHS] – so while other vendors may handle things slightly differently, ultimately everyone is going to be compensating for Win 5.x in some manner (in case it hasn’t been made clear here, these guys would be ecstatic for Win 5.x to go away quickly). [The compensation in this case is the emulation the dock is doing as mentioned above.]

Since 4K-sector drives won’t work on Win 5.x at all, drive manufacturers can’t put them on the market so long as there’s a significant legacy base. 2014 – the year that extended support ends for WinXP – looks like a good year to finally complete the move to 4K sectors.

The end result of all this is that I guess all you can do is to maybe split the 3TB drive into ~2TB and ~1TB partitions (or 2 x 1.5TB), and hopefully (can someone confirm?) the first partition at least will be visible to the player. If not, oh well, at least you're not worse off than before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Useful links:

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/...3tb-goflex-desk

http://www.ge.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1536933

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/gpt_faq.mspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2888

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive...ws-storage.aspx

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2422

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Oct 10 2010, 05:24 AM
    Post #15

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

very very interesting!

Th@nX WDUser, that's a lot of info right there but quite useful.

+Quote Post
    isacumi
    post Oct 10 2010, 09:32 AM
    Post #16

WDTV USER

What about a new future firmware to WD TV Live? It could solve the problem or not?
    About split in 2 1,5tb partitions, nowdays it is impossible for me....all my colecction it is there now.

Like i said, i can see all folders and files, but play only a few ones....
    In the computer i play all my 3tb without problems.

If it could be solve with a new firmware it would be great !!

Isacumi

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 10 2010, 11:26 AM
    Post #17

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Well WD makes their own Advanced Format HDDs, so there's no real reason why they shouldn't be able to update the player's FW to handle this. AFAIK this has nothing to do with the Sigma chip inside. As for whether WD will update their FW or not, I'd tell you not to expect a quick fix. They haven't managed to get a new FW out for the Live in over 6 months now (the Live Plus is stuck at the 1.03.39 beta), and the 7th Live beta released a few days back not only didn't fix all the HDMI-related issues, but also had major flaws apparently and so had to be recalled. So you can be pretty sure fixing this issue is gonna be either almost impossible for them, or will take so much time that your player will be out of warranty and may even have died by then and you might be using something else altogether.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Oct 10 2010, 05:36 PM
    Post #18

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

like you said above WDUser, newer versions of Linux don't have this 2TB limitation, it is doubtful they will update it for the wdtv media player family. I would not expect a fix for any of the current players - ever. New players, perhaps but again, doubtful.

+Quote Post
    isacumi
    post Oct 12 2010, 09:47 AM
    Post #19

WDTV USER

My 3TB external hard disk it is: ST33000651AS
    It works fine in windows (including 32bits!).

In the WD TV Live, it is like if WD TV Live only read some platters....some content it is playes fine, other content non readable....

Some solution?
    Maybe a Non-Official Firmware would solve hte problem?

By the way...I have updated this morning my WD TV Live to the 1.03.42 and no changes.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Isacumi

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 12 2010, 12:41 PM
    Post #20

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Did you not read my follow-up posts above? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

There is non-standard stuff being done to partition the drive properly and get it to work under XP. If you'd bothered to read the change list for 1.03.42, you'd know it has no fixes for this issue. None are planned AFAIK. So do NOT expect a fix soon, if ever.

I already told you that the first <=2TB partition may be seen by the player, but that's not known for sure unless someone tries it out. And you've already said you can't because the HDD is loaded with data. So that's the end of that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 08:57 AM