Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Problems with Seagate GoFlex 1TB USB 2.0, Externnal Drive Compatibility
    correzpond
    post Nov 13 2010, 06:43 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 13,958

I recently purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB "Ultraportable" USB 2.0 drive Model STAA1000301 drive to archive media (mostly HD .wmv and .mkv files) that were overflowing from my NAS drive. The purchase was based on the fact I have been very happy with a similar Seagate 300GB drive.

Unfortunately the experience with this drive has been all bad. First off I copied across a 12 GB 1080 mkv file and noticed image corruptions appearing erratically sometimes preventing the file from being played at all. Initially I wasn't certain at first if this was playback issue (albeit corruptions were evident on both my W7 machine playing direct from the drive and from the WDTVLIVE). Then transferred files back to the W7 machine and found that the corruptions persisted ie. the drive had corrupted the data! Checked a few other files with similar outcomes (incidentally the originally files on my NAS before they went near the GoFlex 1TB played flawlessly.

Immediately invoked the RMA policy on the unit and received a brand new replacement unit from Singapore via the UPS supply chain which has exhibited exactly the same issues suggesting it is not a single manufacturing fault, rather that may be a design fault with this drive (either that or I have been mighty unlucky).

Most of the reviews of this drive suggest it is highly regarded however my experience has been miserable and I now plan either return the unit to the retailer for a refund or trash it.

Before I did that I thought I would check with other WDTV Users and see if anyone else has this drive and has been able get it to work reliably with HD media.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Nov 13 2010, 06:43 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    correzpond
    post Nov 17 2010, 10:13 PM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Member No.: 13,958

After much experimentation involving 4 drives across 2 different brands (Seagate & WD) it appears that the corruption issue is function of Windows USB transfer on my Windows 7 64bit system and is definitely not the fault of the Seagate drive.

Wireless transfers of the same large files to the drive connected via the WDTVLIVE did not exhibit the corruptions, nor did the same large files exhibit any problems when copied over USB using 3rd party copy tools such as Teracopy or Supercopier.

I have since discovered many reports of this issue on the web, mostly attributed to Windows 7, and most often Windows 7 64bit systems, with some users reporting problems with copying after upgrading to Windows 7 that weren't evident on the same machines under Windows XP.

There are numerous suggested fixes including refreshing the USB driver stack, but none of these worked for me suggesting that the problem is probably within one of the Windows 7 USB drivers.

The outcome is that I am happy to recommend either the Seagate Go-Flex 1TB USB 2.0 or the WD Elements 1TB USB 2.0 with the recommendation that only effective 3rd-party copy tools such as Teracopy or Supercopier are used for transfer of large files across USB 2.0 on Windows 7 machines.

You can read a review of the top 5 copying tools for Windows here http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/06/five-...e-file-copiers/

My personal favourite is Teracopy. It is free, fast, configurable and provides automatic CRC verification of copies. It can also be setup so that it will automatically substitute for the windows default "left-click' drag and copy.

I find it surprising that Windows 7 performs so unreliably on such a basic function as USB copying, but hopefully the report on my experience will prove useful to others troubleshooting a similar issue.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 18 2010, 04:55 AM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

I'm really quite surprised to read this. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 has worked like a charm for me for some time now, and was what I finally jumped to after being a die-hard user of XP ever since it was released (I skipped Vista completely). I move files to and from my USB HDDs, pen drives etc. (Seagate, WD, Toshiba, you name it, I have it) on a daily basis, and haven't come across a single case of corruption yet. The fact that this is also the first I'm hearing of this issue (which wouldn't have been the case if the problem had affected everyone) makes me think that the problem could be with the USB chipsets of certain motherboards, rather than with Windows 7 itself (or maybe both are to blame in equal measure). Of course I could be wrong, but I can only go by personal experience, and I have installed the OS (both 32 and 64-bit versions, ranging from Starter to Home Premium to Ultimate) on at least 15 PCs/laptops till date, with no indication whatsoever of such a major problem yet.

P.S. Indeed, it looks like there are hotfixes available for certain chipsets, such as this one for Nvidia, this one for HP etc. I highly recommend you look for similar patches for your hardware, or contact the manufacturer and MS for the same.

+Quote Post
    nanda
    post Nov 22 2010, 04:26 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 29,196

Hi!,
    I just got one new Seagate GoFlex 1TB USB external drive 3 weeks back. I copied over 300GB of my files. All seems to be running just great. It is connected to WD TV Plus.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 04:10 PM