Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Built-In Wireless
    cstu
    post Nov 29 2010, 10:54 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 32,592

This is the major thing that I think is missing.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Nov 29 2010, 10:54 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Richard Nunez
    post Nov 30 2010, 03:54 PM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Member No.: 31,234

I've done wireless (on my BoxOffice). You won't be happy. If you only run log res files you be okay, however, if you wany anything over 720p you're better off with the wire.

What I did was but one of the WD Power network boxes. You get two for $120 dollars. You connect to your router and the other you connect to yoru media player. The only gotcha is you have to plug the network box directly to the AC don't go into a power strip. Also you might not want to plug the network boxes into the same plug as your power string IF you have a lot of devices in that caused issues for me.

The two units have a 200mb connection which is fine for these devices. I know they say they do a gigabit, but they don't. I have Popcorn Hour C200 and that one doesn't do the gigabit either.

However, you'll be a lot happier with these network boxes than you will with wireless. Same wireless for your laptops.

+Quote Post
    Trendecide
    post Nov 30 2010, 06:00 PM
    Post #3

WDTV EXPERT
    Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 32,606

I agree this needs to be included and certainly plays as one of the downsides. If wireless were to be included, it'd wouldn't be any good unless it was N... ABG can't handle the bandwidth.

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Dec 1 2010, 11:50 PM
    Post #4

WDTV EXPERT

Member No.: 5,796

It would have been nice, but I'm not sure a built-in wireless solution is the way to go, especially if you want to upgrade in the future. And I agreee with Richard that wireless technology is very iffy when it comes to any streaming media. Even a wired connection must be done properly to ensure it handles hi-res.

Using up one of the USB ports for the adapter was a horrible solution. They essentially traded one feature for another (the ability to have two external drives).

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 2 2010, 07:17 PM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

QUOTE (hurricane51 @ Dec 2 2010, 11:20 AM) *
    Using up one of the USB ports for the adapter was a horrible solution. They essentially traded one feature for another (the ability to have two external drives).

Especially since USB hubs aren't officially supported.

+Quote Post
    cstu
    post Dec 3 2010, 12:13 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 32,592

No, I'm not happy with 1MB/s...

I have a NAS I'm setting up but in the meantime it looks like I'll still be using a USB stick to transfer files to the Live Hub. Not the slick solution I was looking for but it's an improvement over what I've been doing so far.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 06:14 PM