Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       No AAC Digital Audio
    XopherTaylor
    post Dec 14 2010, 08:27 PM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 9,178

So I've had the WDTV Live for a while, but just (finally!) upgraded my sound system this past weekend with a 5.1 receiver. Of course, I'm anxious to get some 5.1 movies going, which I have plenty of, but when switching the audio settings from Stereo to Digital, sound is no longer playing on any file type that uses AAC Digital (5.1) audio. Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio seem to play fine.

Any suggestions?

I'm on the current firmware and passed on others' posts about missing out, I rolled back to several previous versions (both official and pre-release). 1.02.21 just remuxed surround sound to 2.0 when set to Digital in the audio settings.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Dec 14 2010, 08:27 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Trendecide
    post Dec 14 2010, 11:55 PM
    Post #2

WDTV EXPERT
    Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 32,606

Are you using an optical audio cable plugged into the back of the WDTV to your receiver? The HDMI/component cable will still go from the WDTV to your TV.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 15 2010, 07:05 AM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Have you read these topics (among others) already?

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=11172

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=22364

+Quote Post
    XopherTaylor
    post Dec 15 2010, 10:32 AM
    Post #4

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (Trendecide @ Dec 14 2010, 11:55 PM) *
    Are you using an optical audio cable plugged into the back of the WDTV to your receiver? The HDMI/component cable will still go from the WDTV to your TV.

Based on the other threads included in the other poster's reply, can I assume that since I'm hooked up via HDMI that the Toslink cable won't yield any better results? I'd like to know before I drop $20 on one.

+Quote Post
    Trendecide
    post Dec 15 2010, 12:32 PM
    Post #5

WDTV EXPERT
    Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 32,606

I read through the other threads in depth and it seems to me they're having the same problem, maybe I should respond to those as well.

Anyhow, there's an awesome chart on wikipedia that covers HDMI audio support. The WDTV supports HDMI 1.3, but doesn't support 1.4 unless you're using the Live Hub. So the bigger questions lie within... are the TV AND the HDMI cable both HDMI 1.3+ compliant to get the added DTS support? Even still is DTS in the container (mkv, mp4 are all containers) at all (when viewing a video, hit the options button on your remote and select the audio option which will let you know what you're using and let you cycle through multiple audio streams within the container if they are there)? So if you're using a TV that's over a few years old it probably does NOT do DTS over HDMI since HDMI 1.3 wasn't widely adopted until the latter part of 2007 (1.3 being released in mid-2006). I know you said DTS is playing fine, but there's method to my madness here.

Translate... that optical cable will make all the difference and will handle any audio you throw at it... whether the video has DTS or just 2.1 bundled in the container. I'm 99% sure an optical cable won't let you down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Some other things you may want to check:
    • Check your HDMI fittings
    • Your receiver should be doing all the work... the TV's HDMI is going into the receiver and the WDTV's HDMI is going into the receiver right? The WDTV HDMI should not be directly into the TV's HDMI (that's the typical setup, yours may be different though).
    • If you do go for the optical cable... the WDTV's HDMI will plug directly into the TV's HDMI... the optical cable will go into the receiver for the audio.

+Quote Post
    XopherTaylor
    post Dec 15 2010, 01:27 PM
    Post #6

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Thank you for the thorough answer. It's difficult to wade through all the other possible answers because everyone's setup is a little different.

The TV is a Samsung 650A which was made is 2008. The receiver is brand new (and in fact, 3D compliant) and the HDMI cable is 1.3. The HDMI goes to the receiver and then the receiver to the TV. So really, everything should check out if I understand all of this correctly.

I will try a toslink and report back. I'm also in the process of trying out the MediaCoder method, however, I'm on a mac, so there's some leg work to do first.

At any rate, I appreciate your thorough reply and I'll try to help others by updating my progress.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Dec 15 2010, 04:02 PM
    Post #7

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

My live and formerly the original wdtv used HDMI and optical cables and they play anything I threw at them, well until the header compression BS..

so yes, get an optical cable for the audio.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 15 2010, 04:18 PM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

I just think it's a long-standing problem with the Live's handling of 5.1 AAC audio streams. AC3/Dolby Digital/DTS seem to be fine, but it has issues with this codec, even when it comes to simple pass-through to a capable external receiver. Try with a TOSLink anyway and hopefully that'll do the trick for you, else you'll need to convert the audio after all.

+Quote Post
    watchguys
    post Jan 1 2011, 05:59 PM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 28,232

I have the wdtv live plus and the problem with the AAC 5.1 still persists even after the latest firmware upgrade. Hope WDTV are watching these forums and get the fix in new firmware update.
    Does any know any alternatives that can play AAC 5.1 ?

+Quote Post
    ms3brendan
    post Jan 4 2011, 10:07 AM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Member No.: 34,201

I'm having the exact same issue.. Pretty annoying since many of my movies are in AAC and I just got a new fancy receiver and speakers.. the AC3..DTS..Dolby Digital audio is working great just not AAC.. I have the optical cable plugged in but all that has done is going from no sound in AAC to downmixing to stereo.. I haven't tried yet to switch the audio from "digital" to "digital with optical" maybe that'll do it? I'll have to try that later..

+Quote Post
    enderkonya
    post Mar 24 2011, 12:14 PM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 49,511

Only way for listen AAC is the orginal version 1.01.00

+Quote Post
    Thorgal
    post Mar 26 2011, 05:25 PM
    Post #12

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 27,126

QUOTE (enderkonya @ Mar 24 2011, 12:14 PM) *
    Only way for listen AAC is the orginal version 1.01.00

That's nonsense. I have a lot files with AAC (of course 2ch) in mkv or mp4 container and all of them are working fine with every firmware conected with HDMI to my av receiver.

@ms3brendan
    AAC Multichannel never worked and will never work because it's only possible if you pass through it to an external decoder. Of course you'll never find such a decoder but it's still possible to encode the stream to AC3 or DTS with BeLight.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 11:29 PM