Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Network Share Problem with Wired Network & Shared USB Drives
    na6t
    post Dec 27 2010, 02:52 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 25,983

I'm using Windows XP Pro in a home network. Using simple file sharing. I've got three computers on the network with two WDTV live boxes in the house about 60'-80' from the computers on a Wired Cat5 network.
    computer 1 - two shared folders with music (internal hard drive)
    computer 2 - 1 shared folder with about 70GB of music files (internal hard drive)
    computer 3 - two shared USB (WD 2tb ) EXTERNAL hard drives.

The WDTV Live Plus HD Boxes have got Individual names: WDTVLIVE1 & WDTVLIVE2 with separate FIXED IP ADDRESSES
    on the network (within the network subnet 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.100)

I have no problem with the sharing with the internal hard drives. Computer 3 had 1tb external drives and had no problem sharing video and audio. I replaced the 1tb drives with WD 2tb drives that are shared on the network . I can see the drives on all the computers and use them. HOWEVER, neither of the WDTV Live Plus HD boxes can see the 2tb WD external hard drives to enable viewing video. (the dde network services are enabled automatically).

I also tried plugging the WD External 2tb hard drives into the WDTV Live Plus box and had NO problem accessing the drive in that configuration.

Further checking with a computer connected to the cat 5 that feeds the WDTV boxes it can see the USB drives when installed on the office computer 3 without any problems.

What's happening with the WDTV boxes not seeing the external USB WD 2tb hard drives? It's almost like they will not 'wake-up" in the short time the WDTV box tries to access the network share? However, on the local computer I can double-click the
    external drive and it opens up within about 10 seconds or less.

Anybody got an answer?

thanks,

Bob
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Dec 27 2010, 02:52 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    na6t
    post Dec 27 2010, 07:37 PM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

The problem I'm having is with a WD 2tb USB hard drive. I have them connected to my wired network via a computer and
    NEITHER one of the drives are seen by 2 different WDTV live HD players on the network. They are completely shared
    and are visible on the network via other computers running both WinXP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

the drives are NOT corrupted and will play all the information via the connected and networked computers.

What is WD's answer to this problem,,??

Bob Smith
    Robert Smith Consulting
    Fort Bragg, California

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Dec 27 2010, 07:49 PM
    Post #3

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

we aren't WD, I have no idea what their answer would be..

BUT knowing what little I do, Linux doesn't like the sharing the root of a drive..
    best thing to try is to create a folder on the drive, share just the folder and put all of your media in that folder and try again.

+Quote Post
    na6t
    post Dec 29 2010, 09:50 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

This is how I finally was able to use the WD Live HD Plus on my System. I found this in other posts and put the two Ideas together and was sucessfully able to see the USB drives, access the USB drives and share both folders on the USB drive and the entire USB drive and the internal SATA Drive (thanks to JZ1276 and Chuckisgreat, another poster)

I forgot one thing in the original post, computer 1 and 2 are running Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates and Computer 3 is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. All the USB Drives are now connected to the Windows 7 Box. I could not get them to work with the WDTV boxes when they were connected to the Windows XP Pro boxes in any form. So I moved everything to the Windows 7 Box.

FIRST - Edit the Registry

So, you have Windows 7, but you can't get your device to log on to the
    network. Well here's some instructions to help you get around that:

Click Start and type Regedit in the search and click Regedit.exe

Navigate to the following location in the registry editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
    1. On the right side Double Click on "everyoneincludesanonymous" and in the window that pops up, change the value data from a 0 value to a 1 (hexidecimal)
    2. Double Click on "NoLmHash" and in the window that pops up, change the Value Data from a 1 value to a 0 (hexidecimal)

Navigate to the following location in the registry editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters
    1. Double Click on "restrictnullsessaccess" and change the 1 value to a 0 (hexidecimal)

Reboot your pc and you should now be able to connect to your pc from your wdtv live

This works for me, I also have my drives shared with full access on my LAN

SECOND - configure the advanced sharing settings (network and sharing center ->configure advanced sharing settings)

After doing the above I then went to the network sharing center and set the following:
    1. Use the HOME network profile
    2. Network discover: Turn on network discovery
    3. File and printer sharing: Turn on file and printer sharing
    4. Public folder sharing: Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders
    5. Media streaming is on
    6. File sharing connections: Use 128-bit encryption...
    7. Password protected sharing: Turn off password protected sharing
    8. HomeGroup connections: Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers.
    9. I turned off the Homegroup (i.e., "Leave the homegroup") so Win7 said: “There is currently no homegroup on the
    network.”
    10.For folders with media that I wanted to share, I added “Everyone” to the list of users to share the folder with, and, I set the security permissions for “Everyone” to allow traverse and read.
    11. On the WD TV Live, I had auto login turned on. I erased all password and user name info entered. and now everything works great.

Now I can share the WD 2tb USB hard drives and the 2tb Sata internal hard drive on the network with the WDTV Live boxes the network and everything works great.

Thanks to the forum people for this info, I've got about 450+ movies on two different 2TB usb drives in ISO format and now I can watch them. I've got two WDTV Live boxes in the house we can have the kids watching their movies and I can watch mine, or play music from the audio files through the stereo system in the house

Bob Smith

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 08:56 AM