Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       My WDTV Hub Live can't start, My WDTV HUB shutdown after 15 seconds
    G-NOCID
    post Dec 27 2010, 02:17 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 35,539

Hi Guys!

I have a big problem with my WD TV Hub Live.
    After two weeks, i can't use mu hard drive. When i turn it on, it automatically shut down after 15 seconds.
    I don't know what to do. And i have no access to my data.

Please Help Me !
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Dec 27 2010, 02:17 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 27 2010, 02:22 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Not a Tutorial, so moved here.

Have you tried a hard reset? Maybe a problem with the adapter? I'm sure the player's not too old, so you can RMA it. As for your data, well the HDD inside should be fine, and if so, opening the player up and pulling the data off the drive shouldn't be a big issue. BUT, do NOT do this since it will probably void your warranty. So better to ask WD Support about how you can recover your data before you RMA the player for an exchange.

+Quote Post
    blogra
    post Jan 3 2011, 08:05 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 36,493

My WDTV LIVE HUB seems to have died (ie, now a WDTV DEAD HUB).
    1/ Turn power on with remote. WD led lights.
    2/ Eventually says on TV screen 'Loading Mochi...'.
    3/ The WD led blinks 9 or so times, then unit switches off.
    I have unplugged the power and waited 10 minutes, as it says in the manual, then tried again with the same result.
    I have pressed the reset button underneath with the same result.
    I have tried numerous power up/power down cycles no difference.
    You CANNOT see the WDLIVEHUB on the network like you normally can even when the WD led is off.

The unit has been working OK since I got it a few weeks ago, although I noticed a couple of bugs (1/ Have to press the power button twice for it to stay on. 2/ High res .jpg pictures only show as 160x160 pixels over the networks. Displays full res when the same pic is loaded onto the internal drive.)
    It upgraded to the latest firmware (2.03.24) a couple of days ago. I guess this may have something to do with the current problem, although I was using it after that. This very same problem is mentioned on many other forums, but WD seem to be very silent on the issue. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to get the case open (to try and get files off the hdd) without damaging the unit, thereby blowing the warranty. There doesn't seem to be any method that you can use to 'downgrade' the firmware without requiring the menu to be visible. I am very disappointed. Its a dog!

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 5 2011, 09:24 AM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

You can try inserting a pen drive with the older FW (follow the instructions in the Tutorials section for downgrading), then inserting the power cord of the player to boot it up. If you're lucky, it will enter auto-update mode and successfully complete flashing.

+Quote Post
    charvey
    post Jan 14 2011, 11:59 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 38,657

QUOTE (blogra @ Jan 4 2011, 12:05 PM) *
    My WDTV LIVE HUB seems to have died (ie, now a WDTV DEAD HUB).
    1/ Turn power on with remote. WD led lights.
    2/ Eventually says on TV screen 'Loading Mochi...'.
    3/ The WD led blinks 9 or so times, then unit switches off.
    I have unplugged the power and waited 10 minutes, as it says in the manual, then tried again with the same result.
    I have pressed the reset button underneath with the same result.
    I have tried numerous power up/power down cycles no difference.
    You CANNOT see the WDLIVEHUB on the network like you normally can even when the WD led is off.

Snap,
    I've run into the same issue with my 4 week old WDTV LIVE HUB, reset has not helped and i'm unable to downgrade FW via flash as the unit will not power up. Again the WD was working fine for a few weeks, which turned out to be just long enough for me to transfer most of my media onto it so very keen for any ideas that may help!

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jan 15 2011, 06:27 AM
    Post #6

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

I've no idea, I don't have one and am not familiar at all with this unit..
    from the sounds of it I likely don't want one either..

sorry, I have no thoughts, suggestions or ideas that would be of any use.

+Quote Post
    blogra
    post Jan 17 2011, 05:06 AM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 36,493

Good News! I solved this problem. But it will require you to pry open your hub.
    Out of desperation, I pry opened my hub to see if I can solve this problem. The first thing I tried is to remove the fan because fan consumes power and this seems to be a power problem, but that didn't work. I also tried removing the hard drive but that didn't work too.
    One thing I've noticed when this problem came up is that the power button is not working so what I tried to do is to disconnect the cable connecting the power button to the mainboard and after turning on my hub, it works. I've tried several times to turn on and off my hub and it always works so I think the power button is causing the problem.
    If you will see the inside of your hub, you will see the little board that contains the power button is seperated from the mainboard and the little board of the power button is just connected to the mainboard through a cable. Maybe the firmware upgrade causes conflict between the little board of the power button and the mainboard so disconnecting the cable between them solves the problem.
    Do this at your own risk and you will be the one responsible if something is damaged in your hub by doing what I said and your warranty may be voided. I just would like to share to you what works for me. Tell us if it works for you.

The above is from the WD community forum. It seems that something goes amiss with the little pcb that the so-called power button is connected too. A number of people have removed the plug after opening their hubs, and it has fixed the problem. See this link: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub...off/td-p/104158

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 17 2011, 01:45 PM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Thanks for the tip and the link, blogra! It's just so irritating/frustrating to see WD cheating its customers by regularly releasing products in a hurry before they're properly tested/engineered, not to mention the poor FW update process that can take down your functioning player at any time. Sickening, to say the least.

+Quote Post
    guardzero
    post Jan 23 2011, 04:02 PM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 4,162

I feel your pain on that! All they have to do is test the firmware in as many situations as possible before releasing it to everyone and it would alleviate a lot of stress on the user side. It's like they're using us as their beta-testers and I hate that. WD makes great products but they have the worst support. I hope they really tighten up the support side of things and start releasing quality firmware to match the hardware. The last update fixed certain things but then broke like 4 or 5 more things. Firmware updates aren't supposed to create more problems while at the same time fixing other things.

+Quote Post
    cohenalon
    post Jan 24 2011, 02:32 PM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Member No.: 40,386

QUOTE (blogra @ Jan 17 2011, 12:06 PM) *
    Good News! I solved this problem. ...

thanks a lot! i've had the same problem and i tried everything except this.
    but after i read your post i tried and it works perfectly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    DArthlouh
    post Mar 5 2011, 05:10 PM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 46,730

QUOTE (blogra @ Jan 17 2011, 05:06 AM) *

Hi,
    How can I unbox the Live Hub, the is a specific area do open it?

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Mar 5 2011, 05:47 PM
    Post #12

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

did you not read the post you unnecessarily quoted? with the link in it? try clicking on the link and reading the thread it will magically take you to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
    monsieurBelbo
    post May 2 2011, 05:48 PM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 35,649

I can positively say that removing the cable connecting the power button's mini circuit board to the mainboard has solved the issue.

I basically opened the hub (this is the tricky part: see that the top has a thin separation with the rest of the top? use something thin and hard -i used a rounded point knife- to lever through the opening to open the clips holding it together. There are 10 clips in total: 4 at the front and 3 on each side), then unplug the cable connecting the mentioned boards, and that's it!

I figure there is some power failure with the power button... but really, I don't care. I got my hub back!

BTW: Do not bother calling customer support. They "acknowledge" the problem, and even though the warranty is still valid for me, the only way they might do something about it is if you ship it (at your own cost) and wait whoever know how much time to (and if) the do something about. DIY.

+Quote Post
    VtGuy
    post Jun 30 2011, 05:16 PM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Member No.: 66,978

@monsieurBelbo: So how do you turn the Live Hub on and off? Also, were there any solid state or other components on the little board? Just trying to figure out if there is anything that may be associated with firmware. Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Updated 7-3-11
    Found answers, disregard above posting.

+Quote Post
    FUeL
    post Jul 11 2011, 06:47 AM
    Post #15

WDTV USER

Member No.: 68,797

QUOTE (blogra @ Jan 17 2011, 08:06 PM) *

I had the same issue as listed. Can only power on with remote or with an unplug-replug of the power cable.

Joined the forum here to simply +1 this resolution. Saved me the RMA annoyance and losing my HDD data.

Will also note that upon doing this the HDMI input has stopped working (wonder what else I'll need to disconnect). Tried a heap of stuff to fix this but it appears from thread searching this is also a known issue but I won't go into that in this thread. Just wanted to confirm another successful fix, thanks.

+Quote Post
    Ted Gaertner
    post Aug 28 2011, 12:16 PM
    Post #16

WDTV USER

Member No.: 78,094

Hello all,
    exactly the same happened to me!
    Thank god we found this forum where we discovered that disconnecting the power-switch board solved the
    problem with the new firmware update (2.07.17). Everything is working fine again!!
    We always use the remote for powering the hub, so no problem.

I find it it unbelievable that WD deliveres this kind of firmware without giving solutions.
    When we got everything working again we checked if there would be a new firmware: NO !!!
    The WD hub is from my father-in-law (80), for those people the only option is to bring back the unit.
    Probably loosing the data etc. We are very disappointed in WD.

+Quote Post
    pictou
    post Jul 14 2012, 07:41 PM
    Post #17

WDTV USER

Member No.: 114,295

i signed up for this forum just to reply...same thing happened to me today...opooed open the cover, popped out the power plug and walla! anyway just wanted to say thanks for the posters for this fix!

+Quote Post
    philraysmith
    post Nov 20 2012, 10:00 PM
    Post #18

WDTV USER

Member No.: 129,417

THANK YOU!!! That fixed worked!!! I'd have been toast without this!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 04:31 PM