Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WDTV live won't connect to internet DNS error
    toolman69
    post Jan 16 2011, 01:27 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 15,720

Hello,

Ok I have had this WDTV live for a couple years now. I just got a new Netgear router and new Modem. For some reason I can only get the WDTV live to connect fully to the internet when it is connected directly to the modem. It seams to be a router issue. Because my old Linksys router worked fine. It has the latest firmware 1.04.17_v. Below are my router and modem. When I go to check connection it errors on DNS server. I check my router setting and found two DNS addresses 68.87.69.150 & 68.87.86.102. I tried both and one gives me error and the other just sits there and never does anything. My router has the box check for use router as DHCP server in the LAN settings. What else can I try? I have also did a factory rest of the WDTV several times.

Modem: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-009-_-Product

Router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-375-_-Product

Gigabit switch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...NETGEAR%20GS608
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 16 2011, 01:27 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jan 16 2011, 07:27 AM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

the dns for you wdtv should be the ip of your router

not sure why you have those dns entries in your router, it (all settings) should (likely) be left blank and it will populate from your ISP using DHCP

+Quote Post
    TheOldMan
    post Jan 16 2011, 08:44 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 17,694

Toolman: I have the same router as the one shown in your link and had the same problem. I ended up getting the WDTVLive to connect by setting a static IP for the device in the router, manually setting that address in the WDTVlive network setup, and also manually setting the DNS server to the IP address of the router. It asks for the gateway address which is 192.168.1.1 and place that in the DNS address as well. Do not forget to set the 255.255.255.0 when it asks for the subnet, unless yours is different. Hope that helps.
    P.S. If you are using a wireless network key, it will connect much easier with a WPA-PSK [TKIP] than
    WPA2-PSK [AES]
    I had the WPA-PSK [TKIP] on my old router but changed to WPA2-PSK [AES] on the new one.

+Quote Post
    toolman69
    post Jan 16 2011, 04:05 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

I still get a DNS error. This is what I did. I selected (Use static IP Address) in my router setting. It gives me the below settings. Do I leave the selected (Use these DNS Servers) checked? Or do I selected (Get Automatically from ISP). Now in my WDTV live I put in on the first ip listed.. my ip address that my modem gave me when it was hooked up directly to it. Which is different then the router IP. I actually tried both. Do I change the DNS numbers (Primary & Secondary) in my routers setting to something else? I am a little lost

WDTV Live settings

IP address 71.236.***.*** (Also tried the IP my modem gave my hooked directly to it)
    subnet mask 255.255.252.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    DNS 192.168.1.1

Router settings

Internet IP Address
    Get Dynamically from ISP
    Use Static IP Address (Selected this)
    IP Address . . . 71.236.***.***
    IP Subnet Mask . . . 255.255.252.0
    Gateway IP Address . . . 71.236.***.*

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
    Get Automatically from ISP
    Use These DNS Servers (this is selected)
    Primary DNS . . . 68.87.**.***
    Secondary DNS . . . 68.87. 85.***
    Third DNS . . .

+Quote Post
    TheOldMan
    post Jan 17 2011, 07:33 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

I assumed that the statement "For some reason I can only get the WDTV live to connect fully to the internet when it is connected directly to the modem." Meant that the router was still in the picture but after rereading maybe not. Did the WDTVLive get an internet OK condition if the ethernet connection was from one of the router ports? If "No" then perhaps something else is going on here. With the router in the picture and assuming everything else on your home network is working OK, then the router should assign an IP address which starts with 192.168.1.***
    You should not see any IP address inside your network that start with 71.236.***.*

+Quote Post
    toolman69
    post Jan 17 2011, 04:36 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

No the WDTV live was only connected to the modem when it got internet connection there was no router involved. Those were the setting straight from my router in the router basic setting page... it has the 71.236.***.*. in the IP only when is static mode... The router is running 8 PC's and three HD media players one Popcorn Hour C-200 , one Dune HD player and a WDTV Live that won't connect to the internet. All others on router work perfect. Remember this is a high end gigabit router and I am also running the WDTV live through a gigabit switch. I tried running straight to router without the switch and the same problem DNS error. I can't believe I can't get it to work through my router but it works through modem only.

+Quote Post
    TheOldMan
    post Jan 18 2011, 06:39 AM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

I would suggest pushing the reset button while watching the unit on TV (to make sure it receives the reset command), and then also reboot the WDTVLive all without anything connected to the WDTVLive. Then after that, unplug the WD, connect the ethernet cable to the router and the WDTVLive and boot again. If you still cannot get an internet OK condition on the WDTVLive with it trying to make the connection on its own, then what I did was install the old router again and try it to see if it works from the old router. Actually, I setup the old router's WAN connected with an ethernet cable coming from the switch and then connected the WDTVLive to a LAN port on the old router and tried it again. That way it was out in the open and easier to work on. Once I got that to work, then I addressed the wireless setup on the old router to the WDTVLive and removed the ethernet cable. In the setup you should be able to see both wireless SSIDs. Connected to the old OK and then set it up to connect to the new one. Finally got it to accept the new router wireless settings. The only thing that I could not understand, is why all the fuss? The setup with the old router worked just fine but it refused to connect to the Netgear WNDR37-AV without all this work around. The only thing different was the wireless encryption scheme and maybe the WDTVLive cannot do the WPA2-PSK [AES]

Edit 1-27-2011
    Since making the post, I have changed the firmware on the router. In searching the Netgear forum, it seems the WNDR37AV routers are experiencing problems with certain firmwares. I put V1.0.4.75NA on the router and seems to work nicely with the WDTVLive.

+Quote Post
    toolman69
    post Jan 19 2011, 09:05 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Well I got it to work finally. I had to use a older firmware for my router and use 1.03.49_V_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.5.3 for the WDTV live. And it popped one.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 03:06 AM