Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       I Can't Connect to My Network
    firie
    post Jan 17 2011, 04:37 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 24,376

Hello, I've been trying for some time to sort out why I can't connect to my home network and for the life of me I don't know why.

For some reason everything seemed to be working fine and I suspect perhaps my updating to a newer Firmware version after being prompted to do so, may be the culprit.

Now I'm not a i.t. wizard but I do know all my settings are fine. For instance I when checking to see if my connection is fine I get the message "Network Connection Check Passed". All the settings are as they were before when I was connected to my network and the WD Live can see my network also. One thing that remains constant now is the USB icon on the front window of the WD Live Hardware box keeps flashing where as before, it only flashed until connected.

I have reset to the factory settings numerous times and gone through the process of searching for my network and it automatically finding it with an excellent signal etc. I have also inputted my home network password umpteen times and it has been accepted.

Like, what else is there to do? There's no reason I can see why the WD TV Live shouldn't be connecting.

The other thing is, I use a USB Network adaptor which is a Belkin Model F5D8055 V2 and I made sure before buying it, it was compatible but regardless, it worked fine before this problem started.

So I'm at a complete loss. As I said before, the only thing I can think of is the firmware version I was prompted to update to ( "Version 1.04.17_V" ) doesn't work. This makes me thing that if I could revert back to the previous firmware version I might be able to sort this out but I don't know how to do that. I have read that others have done this and it has sorted their problems but I wouldn't know.

One final thing. If I turn off the WD TV Live, I find I have to input all the settings again as for some reason they are not remembered by the device. Once I do that though I can still watch movies from the WD Elements 2tb hard drive but it's slow to connect and certainly not simply just pushing the remote once etc which was the case previously.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me determine a solution to this problem as I haven't been able to find answers on the WD website and I've looked through numerous posts on here for a similar problem but can't seem to find anything. I'm sure though I'm not the only one to all of a sudden have no ability to connect to my network.

Thankyou to anyone who can help me as at the moment I'm thinking the device is a bit of junk.

Regards
    John
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 17 2011, 04:37 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    paulr33
    post Jan 17 2011, 05:27 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 24,174

try this
    boot it up
    go and edit network settings, edit the workgroup, but dont change its name, just goto edit, then click submit on the workgroup and it will "restart network"
    see if that helps you get back to your shares

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 19 2011, 07:53 AM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

FW downgrade instructions can be found in the Tutorials section.

+Quote Post
    bazzle
    post Jan 23 2011, 07:26 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 40,271

QUOTE (WDUser @ Jan 19 2011, 07:53 AM) *
    FW downgrade instructions can be found in the Tutorials section.

Why should we need to down grade?

My unit is new too, and has the latest firmware.

It looses all Network settings after being turned off and back on again

Any other clues please?

Bazzle

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 24 2011, 06:06 AM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

@bazzle: I was simply replying to firie's query:

QUOTE (firie @ Jan 18 2011, 04:07 AM) *
    This makes me thing that if I could revert back to the previous firmware version I might be able to sort this out but I don't know how to do that.

As for why, well WD's not known to be on the ball with their FW updates (and that's an understatement!), so if a recent update messed up your player, you can downgrade and confirm that the new FW was at fault. Also, there's the old adage that if it ain't broken...

Have you tried a hard reset yet, followed by a re-entry of network settings?

+Quote Post
    Royal Dave
    post Mar 21 2011, 02:14 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 49,541

I'm having a similar problem.

My network check gets the 3 ticks, but I am unable to both use internet media nor see my pc. Even 'upgrade firmware' does not work. Yet network check says everything is ok.

Recently firmware was upgraded to 1.4.22 and this appeared to work fine for a few days but it was soon after this the problem started.

The day the problem did occurr I got a "same ip in use" error on my pc - whether or not my media player decided to take on a new ip or not I am unsure (its manually set by the way - i do not use dhcp) because on checking it out it appeared to have gone back to factory settings for some reason.

anyway since then i have done a factory reset, done a firmware downgrade and none of this has fixed the problem.

logically you could say the modem/router is at fault - but nothing has changed here and my pc is still happily talking the world.

I do not know what to do now.

+Quote Post
    smirnoff
    post Apr 7 2011, 05:22 AM
    Post #7

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 32,716

similar things hapend to me - after power up I can not get acces to network. Here is what I do - enter Set-up - network settings - automaticaly obatin IP adress and then works fine. I must do this everyx time after power up. Its not so much trouble. Boot time is what p***s me off!!

+Quote Post
    Spasch
    post Apr 8 2011, 07:48 AM
    Post #8

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 17,969

QUOTE (smirnoff @ Apr 7 2011, 11:22 AM) *
    similar things hapend to me - after power up I can not get acces to network. Here is what I do - enter Set-up - network settings - automaticaly obatin IP adress and then works fine. I must do this everyx time after power up. Its not so much trouble. Boot time is what p***s me off!!

Why not just leave it running then?

On another note, if you leave it for 2 minutes or so after booting, is the network accessible? This is what I have observed on both my units - annoying but not the end of the world..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 05:07 AM