Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       MKV digital audio issue
    tempsaint
    post Jan 18 2011, 10:51 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 32,877

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have been wracking my brain for days on this and searched high and low and everything keeps saying remux the file, compression none, etc. I have tried remuxing files multiple times. I still can not get my mkv files to play audio through the WDTV Live Plus via HDMI. I even tried demuxing and converting to AC3 and remuxing the AC3 track back in and I can't play AC3 either. Well, when I set the WDTV to stereo I get audio, but not when I leave it on HDMI.

I have a Sony STRDH710 receiver, which definitely plays DTS (according to the Sony specs... Decoding Format(S): DTS 96/24: Yes, DTS HD/DolbyTruHD/Dolby Digital+: Yes/Yes/Yes)

I have been remuxing the files on my iMac (Mac OS X Leopard) using mkvmerge 4.4.0 and no matter what the audio won't play. I even tried setting compression to none and yes for default flag and forced flag. According to the documentation this should set the file so that the DTS audio stream is set as the default and you can't change it. Yet when I play one of the remuxed files, and press the option button on the WDTV remote, it says no audio option selected. Even when I select the audio track it still doesn't play.

I've tried cycling through the sound field settings in the receiver to see if maybe the receiver needed to be set to interpret the audio track but that hasn't helped either. I can't copy and paste all of the details of the file because I'm accessing my home system remotely and for some reason I can't copy and paste the mediainfo details but I'll type out the audio details:

CODE
    Audio
    ID: 2
    Format: DTS
    Format/Info: Digital Theater System
    Codec ID: A_DTS
    Duration: 1h 44m
    Bit rate mode: Constant
    Bit rate: 1 510 Kbps
    Channel(s): 6
    Channel positions: Front: L C R, Side: L, R, LFE
    Sampling rate: 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth: 24 bits
    Compression mode: Lossy
    Stream size: 1.10 GB (17%)
    Title: DTS
    Language: English

Is my WDTV defective?

Thanks,
    Adam
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 18 2011, 10:51 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 19 2011, 09:10 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Adam, your issue sounds similar to the one in this thread, so read it and see if you get any ideas. Which firmware version do you have installed? How is the player connected to your TV/receiver?

+Quote Post
    tempsaint
    post Jan 19 2011, 09:27 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Thanks. I checked that thread and I guess I should try downgrading my firmware to 1.02.21? I have not done that yet. And I didn't realize you needed to hard reset before flashing the firmware. All of my firmware upgrades have been automatic when connecting my ethernet cable (I couldn't get a USB wifi adapter working either even though another forum said it should have been supported). Oh, I am currently running the latest firmware as it just automatically upgraded last week when I connected the ethernet cable again (I don't keep it continually plugged in because I run it from another room).

Anyway, the player is connected to my receiver via HDMI only (no digital optical cable) and from the receiver to my TV via HDMI. Everything works fine for my cable box and blu-ray player (also HDMI into the receiver and then out to the TV). I'm using my receiver as the HDMI switcher.

I would try using a digital optical cable but from what I've read on the forums that probably won't solve it so I haven't bothered to reconfigure my whole system to test that. It's really not the desired outcome anyway. I'll try the older firmware and see if that does it. I'm not sure what I'll be losing but my main reason for purchasing the Live Plus was for playing FLAC files (i've got multiple TBs of live concert recordings) and for playing ripped DVDs (ISOs) so if I lose some of the internet media it really won't be too big of deal. I'd rather have the surround sound from my mkv files. I think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 19 2011, 03:16 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Do check and let us know which FW version you have now. If you have 1.04.17 installed, note that it has since been withdrawn by WD. So you can either downgrade to 1.04.10, or maybe 1.03.49 (downgrading help is in the Tutorials section). There's also a beta release of 1.04.18 out. All are available here: http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showforum=155

Since you have a Live+ and not a Live, 1.02.21 doesn't apply to you. I just pointed you to that thread in the Live section because the issue sounded quite similar, and I didn't want to type the same things again. If a different (old/new) FW doesn't help, I would suggest that you try optical cable once, just to check if it helps.

P.S. Different HDMI cables also often make a huge difference, so you might want to try out a few different brands or even some el cheapo stuff and see.

+Quote Post
    tempsaint
    post Jan 21 2011, 05:38 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

I did have 1.04.17 installed. I have since upgraded to 1.04.18_B pre-release. There was no change.
    I tried a different HDMI cable. No difference. Still no HDMI audio.
    I did try a digital optical cable and that works. Not my optimal solution since it would also require me to then go HDMI direct into the TV from the Live+ and not through the receiver (as a switcher).

I am about to try downgrading the firmware to 1.03.29_B. I'll let you know.

Oh, and I also tried a MKV file with AC3 audio (reported in the Live+ audio option as "Dolby Digital") and also an MP4 file with AAC audio. I have the same issue with all of my files apparently.

EDIT: I downgraded to 1.03.29_B and the MP4 file with AAC audio started to play properly. None of the MKV files (AC3 audio or DTS audio) would play via HDMI. Interesting note, this fw version displays the audio channel as AC3 instead of Dolby Digital).

So, now I'm lost. Wondering if there's something defective with my Live+

Adam

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 22 2011, 07:00 AM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Maybe you can try 1.03.49 and 1.04.10 as well? FW roulette! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
    tempsaint
    post Jan 24 2011, 07:49 AM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Really? Firmware Roulette? Is that really the answer? Has that much changed (and then changed back) between the shipping version of the fw and the current version?

Adam

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 24 2011, 08:25 AM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Other than what's in the official changelog, I don't know what has changed. I don't even own this particular model. But I do know that with WD, new FW is never guaranteed to be a trouble-free painless update. Since 1.03.29 partially helped, I simply suggested that you might want to try those 2 versions as well. Who knows? You might strike gold with one of them...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 01:53 AM