Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Strange Issues - .iso files (Salt 2010), Please help!
    Ian M
    post Feb 3 2011, 11:45 AM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 9,595

Hi guys,

I have at home a dvd of Salt with Angelina Jolie in it, anyway, I successfully created a copy of the dvd into an ISO file, which plays perfectly well on a Mac or PC with XP/Vista/7.

When I connect a USB drive containing the iso image into the WDTV, it starts to play the iso, but after about 20-30 seconds, it starts to skip the pictures, and the sound goes weird. I have never had this problem before now.

My aim here is to see if anyone else has hit the same problem, or if they know what I can do to fix this. No other iso files have this problem, including more recent ones.

Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance

Ian
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Feb 3 2011, 11:45 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 3 2011, 01:33 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

What did you rip the DVD with? Try AnyDVD. Also try extracting the VOBs out of the ISO and see if those play without problems. IIRC, the Gen. 1 did occasionally have issues with ISOs. Since the Gen. 1 doesn't have DVD menu support, unless you're creating the ISOs as backups, you might also want to check out MakeMKV. It will rip the DVD in a few mins. and create a lossless MKV that ought to work well on the Gen. 1.

+Quote Post
    Ian M
    post Feb 3 2011, 02:56 PM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Thanks for the reply, in my experience making MKV's have been fantastic with MakeMKV, I tried various programs to rip the DVD with, like DVD Decrypter, DVDFAB, all sorts, in fact the only one I haven't tried is AnyDVD with DVD Cloner. I will try this one and let you know what happens.

In fact, since you suggested it, after using these programs, I tried extracting the VOB files from the ISO but funnily enough, it had the same effect. At first I thought it was the media player but now I am beginning to think it is the structured protection, I just hope that AnyDVD works.

You mentioned that the Gen 1 WDTV doesn't support menus in the ISO, was there another Generation of WDTV that does support the WHOLE of the ISO? i.e. DVD Menu's, Disc Extras etc?

Thanks for the advice, and will let you know the outcome when I get home tonight!

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 3 2011, 05:34 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

No idea about DVD Cloner, but AnyDVD by itself can rip as ISO.

The WD TV Live and newer models can play back a DVD ISO or VIDEO_TS folder with full menu support.

+Quote Post
    Ian M
    post Feb 3 2011, 05:40 PM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Oh ok, I get you, I have just tested the iso at home on the wdtv and unfortunately, exactly the same thing is happening, video jumping after the first 30 seconds, then the sound drops and the video gets worse, don't get it....

I'm at another dead end again here!! Any other possibilities? Do you think it could be the player not supporting it properly?

Cheers

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 3 2011, 05:45 PM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

You tested the ISO this time created by AnyDVD?

If even that doesn't work, then must be something to do with how that particular DVD was authored, since the VOBs exhibit the same issue as well, and other ISOs work fine.

How about MakeMKV's output?

+Quote Post
    Ian M
    post Feb 3 2011, 06:12 PM
    Post #7

WDTV SEMI-PRO

To be honest I haven't tested that yet, but seeing as I'm looking for iso file compatibility, I'm a little reluctant to do that.

I'll try it tomorrow and let you know anyway

Cheers for your help so far though

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 07:37 PM