Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Will YouTube be restricted in the UK as per WDTV Live?
    SlackAlley
    post Feb 17 2011, 10:11 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 15,881

Hi, i own the older WDTV Live model, and am running custom firmware on it to enable not only YouTube HD content, but to allow me to view most of the content at all (which is generally restricted if it's official music vids etc due to copyright issues).

Am i to assume the same will apply to the new WDTV Live Hub model?

I've read in the other sub-forum that custom firmware isn't likely, and that's fine, so i'm not gonna ask, but i'm just wondering really that if i treat myself to a new Hub model and get the benefit of the new features, that i'll have to settle for essentially no YouTube again (something i do like to have working)?

I suppose, to be fair, I know that this isn't down to WD, although i don't really understand why it's a problem on these devices when the same content is available on browsers, mobile devices, consoles etc).
    Thanks
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Feb 17 2011, 10:11 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 17 2011, 10:31 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

AFAIK it's a restriction from Google's side, so unless WD can convince them otherwise (if they could've, they would've), YouTube on the Hub will be similarly crippled as well. Forget browsers, now that Google TV's in the same space, I wonder if those devices are allowed to have full access? And if so, why not other media players? There might be a legal issue here, although I must be missing something or else WD and the other companies would have done something for sure.

+Quote Post
    SlackAlley
    post Feb 18 2011, 06:26 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 15,881

Yeah i guess so. I kind of knew this would be the answer.
    I'd made up a YouTube playlist of a few Disney vids for my little boy to watch, but i guess there's no problem in me downloading those vids and just playing them normally, leaving YouTube out of it (it's just nice to be able to instantly have that at your fingertips if someone wants to watch a music vid or something).

I'd really like the new Hub model (not least as i was intending to buy some sort of NAS drive anyway, as i also intended to put a media player/streamer in the bedroom upstairs, which would ideally stream the same content - so this really helps me out, as i'll just move the old WDLive box up there and buy a wi-fi dongle, or a homeplug, or maybe an ATV2 with XBMC instead...) Anyway, that's another story.
    Thanks for the reply (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 09:07 AM