Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Arrgh, ISO files won't play., but they work on Live Hub . . . ?
    Hmm12
    post Feb 24 2011, 09:18 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 45,236

I spent a lot of time making ISO feature-only files from my 120 DVDs and storing them on my Live Hub. I added a Live Plus for my wife's exercise room, and I can't see (let alone play) any ISOs from the Live Hub. But I can see and play MKVs, MP4s and AVIs. So I tried using Handbrake to transcode ISO to MP4. The resulting file stutters and breaks up. Tried MKV--similar result. Other MP4s I have also are prone to breaking up.

Network is 1GB capable, and AVIs stream with no problems at all. Also, ISOs stream to my laptops and my desktop with no issues.

I did search the forum and none of the suggestions I found helped. Haven't tried a USB drive--don't have one big enough to hold one of my ISO files and in any event, the point is to stream video not just play it from a local drive.

I'm on the verge of sending this thing back but would be grateful for any thoughts/suggestions.

Running 1.04.18_B firmware. Did initial ISO rip using DVDShrink 3.2. Transcoded to MK4 and MKV with Handbrake 0.9.5 (Jan 3 2011).

HM
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Feb 24 2011, 09:18 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Feb 25 2011, 05:20 AM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

ISO's play fine on the live and the live+, I stream them myself.
    your problem seems to be trying to stream them from the live hub.

I have no idea what protocol it is using.. the live and live+ are 100MB network and they stream 1080p perfectly using NFS.
    my test file is the 34GB release of Avatar.

again, no idea what the hub is using, doing or how it's doing it..

definitely a network issue but I don't think there's much you can do without streaming from a computer and running custom firmware on the live+, but that would leave the hub possibly not being able to stream, but then again it does have gigabit so who knows...

a dilemma for sure, I don't know anything about the hub, sorry..

+Quote Post
    Hmm12
    post Feb 25 2011, 10:57 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Odd that it can see and play MP4, MKV, MOV and AVI files from the Hub with no problems (except some breakup with MP4 and MKV). Also, I can see and play .ISO files from the Hub using my laptops and desktop. I agree that it could be a problem with the Hub--I wonder if another hub (instead of a Live Plus) would have this problem. . . .

Thanks for your reply.

HM

+Quote Post
    Hmm12
    post Feb 25 2011, 01:39 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Okay, I'm finding if I tweak Handbrake I can produce MKV files that appear to play without any problems. The problem is that I'll have to transcode my entire 120-movie library. The MKVs are smaller than the ISOs (which is good)--but does that mean they don't have the same picture quality? I want as close to a DVD-quality presentation as possible. If the quality is jsut as good I suppose I could just delete the ISOs, solving my space problem. (Makes 'em tougher to burn to a DVD, though.)

Still, I'm disappointed that this device requires so much work just to get it to interoperate wtih another WD device that does essentially the same function.

HM

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 25 2011, 02:22 PM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Are you trying the MKVs on the Live+ or Hub?

Try MakeMKV with a DVD and see.

+Quote Post
    Hmm12
    post Feb 25 2011, 09:43 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

I've tried the MKVs with both. They play okay on the Live Plus (which is connected to an old school CRT TV) but they're jerky and show interlacing artifacts on my Hub (32" 720p LCD TV).

Was really hoping not to have to bring out the disks again, but I can try MakeMKV and see what happens. One issue I have with MKVs is that the chapter buttons on both remotes (Hub and Live Plus) don't jump to the next chapter. Seems like I've tried every format now but there's not one that's ideal for both the Hub and the Live Plus.

HM

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 26 2011, 03:29 PM
    Post #7

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Have you tried connecting the Live Plus to the newer TV to see if the same MKVs play back fine? If not, then can't blame the Hub.

+Quote Post
    Hmm12
    post Feb 26 2011, 07:34 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Yes--in fact, I've connected it to a nearly-new Sylvania 720p flatscreen via component video. Nothing I do can make that work, either. But I've read that component video is kinda hit-or-miss with the WDTV Live series.

I did transcode to an ISO format that the Live Plus will play using DVDFab. Unfortunately, DVDFab doesn't transcode the menus properly, so I get breakup there (no problem--who looks at the menus?--just annoying). Also, in order to find the ISO file I have to put it in a folder with no .jpg filmography and then search for it using the Network Share feature of the Live rather than the Media Server feature. What a nuisance. But at least it plays that way.

So far I've come up with two ways to make this thing work: 1) transcode my entire ISO collection to duplicate MKV files or 2) Re-rip all of my DVDs to ISO using DVDFab.

Gee, that's a lot of work. And even after all of that, my PCs still won't play the movies without a shim of some sort (ISO image mounter or MKV codec install). With all the formats out there you'd think there'd be one that plays on everything!

HM

+Quote Post
    Hmm12
    post Feb 26 2011, 11:44 PM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Okay, I've put in over 10 hours working on this and implementing suggestions from forums. Best conclusion I can come to is that this device just doesn't work the way WD says it should. Returning it on Monday.

Maybe WD will make a diskless version of their Hub one day? That unit seems to function much closer to spec.

HM

+Quote Post
    kshporter
    post Aug 3 2011, 11:55 AM
    Post #10

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 73,224

I have ISO on my hub but I don't steam them (sort of defeats the purpose of the 1TB internal drive). Put your ISOs on the HUB itself and enjoy. ISOs don't stream well, if you get it to work, over the local net wirelessly but do when wire connected to a router. If you were trying such in wire connected format, then there was an issue on your network (bottleneck, port blocking, etc).

+Quote Post
    dgrinnan
    post Feb 27 2012, 10:13 AM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 107,835

I know this topic is about a year old, but I have a similar issue but in reverse. I ripped ISO files from some of my DVDs. If I save them on my WD drive, they play fine. They won't play on my PC. It could be possible the issue is the file is not playing properly on the source and the issue is not with the hub. I agree with the previous poster. Put the ISO file directly on the WD hub and you should not have any issues. I love this capabilty. I have a library of movies without needing to load the DVD. I used the now unsupported DVD Decrypter. the web site was shut down but the owner set up a mirror site with a UK address where you can download the latest version that was published . It actualy works very well and will create an ISO file even for the most current copy protected DVDs. It is free. http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 04:22 AM