Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Some question about WDTV live Audio..
    sonixmedia
    post Mar 2 2011, 09:04 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 16,997

Hello all.. this is my first post here.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I have all my audio CDs ripped into flac and store into my external HDD which is connected directly to the WDTV live. My question is...
    1) Is WDTV considered a good audio player (base on sound quality)?
    2) Will there be much different in audio quality comparing "sound output through RCA direct to AMP" and "through Toslink -> external DAC -> amp"?

Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Mar 2 2011, 09:04 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    n3mmr
    post May 11 2011, 12:55 AM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 58,090

If you can find a DTS-recorded CD, rip that as if it wasn't DTS at all, i e rip the DTS encoded bits to a file as if it were an ordinary CD track, and then play it back thru the WDTV and into a DTS decoder such as a home theater receiver, you can settle the "via the SPDIF" Q. If what comes out is decoded DTS audio, the SPDIF digital output is a bit perfect copy of the input stream from the media file.

Then the audio quality will only depend on the external D/A converter used.

It is unlikely that the built-in D/A converter in a WDTV Live is top notch. Expect a rolled off low end, at least.
    You can test it via the facilities of the RMAA audio device test suite.
    It is likely that the built in D/A is OK, but it may be sensitive to load impedance or HF interference. Which is the usual set of problems with low-price devices, since most of the basic chips available for inclusion in playback devices can all be made to perform very nicely, these days.

I only just bought mine, and haven't had the time to test audio quality, and I may never bother.
    If it turns out I can get my serviio.org DLNA server to work well with WDTV Live for playing back lossless compressed flac audio, I may decide it's worthwhile to test.
    This since there is an iPod WDTV remote control app that will enable finding and playing DLNA served music w/o having to start up the TV.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 01:59 AM