Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Using both optical and analog...
    rbico
    post Mar 3 2011, 10:14 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 46,357

To Start:
    My biggest beef with the WD is that if I want to hear my DTS audio on my tv, then I have to scroll through the options and select :stereo. Then if I want to listen through my surround stereo, I have to go back through the menus and select "digital",. This sucks because I have to stop the movie to do this. I would be better if you could do it on the fly like subtitles or the audio track.

Keeping that in mind:

I am sending MKV to tv via HDMI. My tv has one special HDMI input where if you use an HDMI along with a standard stereo jack, the audio from the HDMI will be overwritten by the audio cable. so I am wondering if I my video sent via HDMI, my stereo sound sent to my TV via the stereo cables from the WD and still use my TOSLINK to send sound from the WD to my receiver - all while the WD is in "digital" mode (so I could still get my DTS sound if I wanted without going through the WD menu.)

But would the WD send digital sound through those little stereo cables or would I have to tell it "stereo" as in my first paragraph?

if that's the case:

Can I do this:
    I buy a splitter: http://www.frys.com/product/4712019?site=s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    so I can have the TOSLINK cable from the LIVE turned into two outputs. One of the outputs would go to my receiver (which has no HDMI) and the other would go to this thing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-141-_-Product
    which will convert DTS to standard stereo which would then hook up to my TV.

So in theory, with the WDTVLIVE set to digital, I should get a standard stereo signal from my TV and a digital signal from my surround stereo.

any of this makes sense?

I appreciate any help on this as it is driving me nuts!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Mar 3 2011, 10:14 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Thorgal
    post Mar 23 2011, 06:56 PM
    Post #2

WDTV PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 27,126

Not a big deal for owner of a modern av receiver with a so called bypass mode. Of course not very helpful for people who put their faith in hardware from the stone age (TOSLINK was designed in 1983 by Toshiba and was offically made for uncompressed digital 2ch audio). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 10:14 AM