Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD TV Live HUB 1TB & BELKIN F5D4077 Surf Powerline AV
    montanajr
    post Mar 15 2011, 11:44 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 24,474

Hi Guys,

Looking to purchase a WD Hub and want to connect it to my network via ethernet, and not wireless. I was looking at purchasing BELKIN F5D4077 Surf Powerline AV Adaptor Kit in order to run the internet through the house electric and connect the Hub to my network. I know WD do their own Powerline adapter, but I already have this Belkin.

Would this work fine? Can I hook 1 Belkin up to my router then have the other in my lounge, connecting to the WD Hub?

Would this cause any issues?

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Chris.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Mar 15 2011, 11:44 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 15 2011, 05:53 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

From what I've read, powerline networking doesn't give great results in terms of bandwidth, so streaming bigger/better quality movies might be an issue. YMMV of course.

+Quote Post
    montanajr
    post Mar 16 2011, 01:47 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Oh really? Does bandwidth correlate with internet speed, or is it something entirely different? Reason is, I have 50MB Broadband and this is a Gigabit set-up...surely it will be able to stream of my externall HDD upstairs connected to my PC fine? 720p/1080p .mkv's, no?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 16 2011, 04:47 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Speed of your network, not internet speed. Normally with stock firmware and using Windows CIFS over the network, streaming 1080p full HD files becomes an issue. Only way it works well is using an NFS server such as haneWIN. Still, like I said, I've only read about powerline networking and never checked it out myself, so it may very well do the job fine for you.

+Quote Post
    Diddy Smalls
    post Mar 19 2011, 01:56 PM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 38,940

I have a power-line network setup and I haven't yet tried streaming any movies (mainly because I can't figure out how to set up a home network with Winblows 7) but WDUser is correct about bandwidth being an issue. Transferring files over the power-line network to my Hub maxed out at 5MB/s. I figure the rate of play (streaming) would have to take place at a rate much higher than this. I'm not an expert in this field but there are some members in this forum who might be able to comment or speculate further. I checked out the haneWIN website and that is way over my head. I guess I'll have to stick to portable, external storage.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Mar 19 2011, 03:16 PM
    Post #6

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

setting up hanewin is a 2 beer project at most. extremely easy, if anything isn't working, it's win7 and it's effed up firewall.
    I know of a few people who have had to reinstall win7 to get hanewin working properly, makes no sense but after win 7 was reinstalled shit started working correctly.
    you would think setting firewall exceptions would do it but something in the registry gets corrupt or mucked up and it wont let hanewin work..

as for streaming, 5 MegaBytes per second should be lots. I streamed the 34GB rip of avatar and checked, my bandwidth rarely got to 4MB/s and never close to 5.
    assuming you get 80% of available bandwidth, this should be enough to stream over 95% of 1080p rips available with no problems.
    as always, YMMV depending on other things in the environment of your network..

my media is on a WD green drive (well, more than 1), attached to a PCI SATA controller card and I have no issues at all. wired or wireless, it all works fine.

+Quote Post
    montanajr
    post Mar 22 2011, 08:49 AM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Got it all set-up and working today. Sharing 2 external HD's that are connected to my PC upstairs with the Hub down in the living room. Streamed 720p/1080p .mkv's (7+GB) without issue so far! All working quite well, very happy!

This is just using a Belkin Powerline adaptor kit. Very pleased so far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
    montanajr
    post Mar 22 2011, 09:27 AM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Right, I thought everything was working but now I have a problem with sound! It's very very quiet - please see here: http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=27012

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 08:31 PM