Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       How to copy data by connecting WD TV to laptop using USB port/ethernet cable?
    Sunil Kumar
    post Mar 20 2011, 09:00 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 49,400

Hello all,

It's is taking too much time to copy the data from my laptop to WD TV via modem. Can I directly connect my laptop to the WD TV using the USB port on both laptop and WD TV and copy the data?

Note, I could have tried myself, but didn't try, since I don't have a cable with me. Note, if I hear from you that this suppport is there, then I shall purchase a new cable to copy.

Please do let me know, if there are alternate options of faster copy from laptop to WD TV without modem in place.

Thanks a lot!
    Sunil Kumar

Hi All,

There is an option for connecting the external HDD to the WD TV directly on a USB port in WD TV. How do I copy the data from the external HDD to WD TV and viceversa?

Note, all I know is that there is an option of playing from either WD TV or External HDD.

Thanks a lot!
    Sunil Kumar

Hi All,

Can you please share the steps inorder to connect the WD TV directly to laptop using ethernet cable without going through a modem?

Thanks
    Sunil Kumar
    Reason for edit: Modified topic title a bit after merge
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Mar 20 2011, 09:00 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 21 2011, 09:03 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

I merged your 3 posts since they're somewhat similar.

I guess you mean router and not modem, since a modem has nothing to do with connecting your WD TV to your laptop.

Regarding your first query, I don't think the player can be directly connected to a laptop via a USB cable.

Regarding your second query, you can sync data from a USB drive or a network shared folder. Why don't you take a look at pages 23 and 139 of the manual to learn how the Sync and Transfer option works?

Regarding your third query, a simple crossover cable ought to work AFAIK. It's dirt cheap (generally available at per feet etc. rates), so buy one and try it.

Note that others have complained about the slow copy speeds too, so you're not alone.

+Quote Post
    Sunil Kumar
    post Mar 22 2011, 02:47 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Please see my response inline for your comments.

Regarding your first query, I don't think the player can be directly connected to a laptop via a USB cable.
    Sunil Kumar: Any idea as why its not supported? Can I request for this support from WD and probably as part of next subsequent firmware upgrade, I can get the feature. Do you this feature helps?

Regarding your second query, you can sync data from a USB drive or a network shared folder. Why don't you take a look at pages 23 and 139 of the manual to learn how the Sync and Transfer option works?
    Sunil Kumar: Thanks, I had a look at this feature. Unfortunately, it syncs the entire USB drive and is there a feature wherein I can sync only folder and its subfolders? Looks like this feature is available for network shares and again this will be slow, since the data goes over router.

Regarding your third query, a simple crossover cable ought to work AFAIK. It's dirt cheap (generally available at per feet etc. rates), so buy one and try it.
    Sunil Kumar: I am not able to assign an IP manually to the WD TV. Whenever I assign and remove the network cable from the device, the IP clears off(to 0.0.0.0). Am I missing something here?

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Mar 22 2011, 04:13 AM
    Post #4

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Sunil Kumar @ Mar 22 2011, 04:47 AM) *
    Sunil Kumar: Any idea as why its not supported? Can I request for this support from WD and probably as part of next subsequent firmware upgrade, I can get the feature. Do you this feature helps?

good luck with that! people have been requesting 'features' be added since the original WDTV came out, WD does not listen to the users.
    unless you are willing to buy all their stock and threaten to fire them all, your request will fall on deaf ears..
    even then it likely wont happen, they will have a reason why it can't be done or wont work..

QUOTE (Sunil Kumar @ Mar 22 2011, 04:47 AM) *
    Sunil Kumar: I am not able to assign an IP manually to the WD TV. Whenever I assign and remove the network cable from the device, the IP clears off(to 0.0.0.0). Am I missing something here?

once you have an IP, go in and change it to manual and set it outside your routers DHCP range, save it. you should be good to go.

+Quote Post
    Sunil Kumar
    post Mar 22 2011, 10:21 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

QUOTE (Rev Drew @ Mar 22 2011, 03:13 AM) *
    good luck with that! people have been requesting 'features' be added since the original WDTV came out, WD does not listen to the users.
    unless you are willing to buy all their stock and threaten to fire them all, your request will fall on deaf ears..
    even then it likely wont happen, they will have a reason why it can't be done or wont work..

[Sunil Kumar] I understand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (Rev Drew @ Mar 22 2011, 03:13 AM) *
    once you have an IP, go in and change it to manual and set it outside your routers DHCP range, save it. you should be good to go.

[Sunil Kumar] Thanks I am able to set it now. However, I am seeing the set IP address only after I connect the cable from WD to either Router or Laptop. On disconnecting the cable, the IP address resets to 0.0.0.0. This should be fine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 01:24 AM