Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD-TV Live and Cinavia
    dazbobaby
    post Mar 25 2011, 08:55 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 50,297

Hi all, I've just bought the WD-TV Live because I'm fed up with my PS3 giving me cinavia pop-ups.
    So far I'm impressed, it's a nice little piece of kit, does what it says on the tin, and does it well enough for me.

But on boot it's always asking me to update the firmware, and while I've searched the net and WD forums (official forums) I just want to be sure that the update will not add cinavia copy protection.

So could someone please just assure me that the latest update wont add cinavia.

Many thanks,
    Darron.

PS.
    Whats the benefit of using what looks like a decent array of custom firmwares?
    Thanks again.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Mar 25 2011, 08:55 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 25 2011, 09:49 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Read this thread first: http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=18319

I doubt we'll ever receive a firm yes or no from WD regarding this issue, but IMO it's highly unlikely that manufacturers of players such as these will add Cinavia support without some legal obligation to do so, or some clear financial incentive. Plus Cinavia detection most likely will require hardware changes, so if that's the case it's not something that can simply be added with a firmware update. Thus existing owners ought to rest easy, unless WD was sneaky enough to include the chips required, but just not activate them yet. That sounds highly unlikely though, so till further notice we can all relax (or at least be cautiously optimistic). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As for custom FW, you get movie sheets, a whole lot of different plugins for various sites and so on. Try the latest version and see if you wish, since you can always revert back.

+Quote Post
    dazbobaby
    post Mar 25 2011, 11:34 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Thanks for the reply, so far I've not noticed any cinavia pop-ups, so thats good.
    How is it possible to upgrade then downgrade? Is there no version checking?

As for CFW, is there a BBC iPlayer in HD?
    Thanks again.
    Darron.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 26 2011, 03:46 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (dazbobaby @ Mar 25 2011, 10:04 PM) *
    How is it possible to upgrade then downgrade? Is there no version checking?

There is, but it can be fooled quite easily. Check the Tutorials section.

QUOTE (dazbobaby @ Mar 25 2011, 10:04 PM) *
    As for CFW, is there a BBC iPlayer in HD?

Don't think there's a WDLXTV plugin available yet for iPlayer. There is an iPlayer plugin available for PlayOn though AFAIK.

+Quote Post
    dazbobaby
    post Mar 27 2011, 03:45 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

I've got to say that so far I'm VERY impressed with the WD-TV live, it's played everything that I've thrown at it, and even some things that my PS3 wouldn't play.
    Not bad considering that the PS3 is a brilliant media server (or would be if it didn't have Cinavia CP installed).

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 15 2011, 05:37 PM
    Post #6

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 80,785

Hi All

i'm new and have been enjoying watching 1080p movies through a wired ethernet connection on my ps3 untill i updated recently and got the stupid Cinavia error, it's driving me insane.

i don't want to download a movie only to then use another tool to compress or change the video format to mp4 or burn to disc either etc etc.. all i want to do is download 1080p mkv files and play them from my mac to my projector using hdmi and wired ethernet connectiion.
    i used to use wireless but it just doesn't have the oomf to deal with streaming good hd movies.

is this possible with WD TV live?

and what would i use instead of ps3 media server which is what i used on my mac before?

if this is possible i'm buying one yesterday, i'm sick of ps3 and all there firmwares.

your advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 16 2011, 06:39 PM
    Post #7

WDTV SEMI-PRO

anyone?

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Sep 16 2011, 08:05 PM
    Post #8

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

not really sure what your question is to be honest.
    the wdtv media players don't suffer from the cinavia problem..
    wireless works good on the live and live plus, I can easily stream the 34GB release of avatar (using WDLXTV and NFS)

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 16 2011, 09:44 PM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Thanks for your reply,

i used to stream with ps3 but was not getting excellent results on some 720p mkv files and 1080p were just not watchable so i decided to wire the ps3 instead of using wireless connection.
    1080p played perfectly but i then upgraded firmware and got the stupid error

so my question is can i use the wd live hub in the same way i did the ps3(wired connection to get good playback?

Mike

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Sep 17 2011, 04:59 AM
    Post #10

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

live hub, probably not but I don't have one so I can't be 100% sure.
    If you have all gigabit networking then in theory it should be fine.

I have a Gen1, Live and a Live plus and 2 of them are always wireless, the Gen1 wont watch high bit-rate shows, the live and + will play anything I try, wired or wireless.
    I am using custom firmware though so I can mount my shares like they are local drives and use NFS for streaming from my PC, I couldn't play 1080p using Windows shares, with NFS it's all playing amazingly.

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 20 2011, 12:26 PM
    Post #11

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Ok i ended up buying the WD TV LIVE ...

i was kinda hoping it would work in the same way that the ps3 and ps3 media server did for me, and it does but in an opposite way, the ps3 media server allowed me to play movies/files etc from my mac streaming it to the ps3.

it looks like this works the other way though, you need to have your content on the WD TV LIVE hard drive to stream elsewhere.

Have i got it right? or is there a way or program for mac that allows it to work the other way too?

and back to the actual topic, is it definitely safe to upgrade the firmware without having the annoying cinavia warnings coming, has this been confirmed that it's all clear?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 21 2011, 12:30 PM
    Post #12

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

As far as Cinavia goes, have you read this thread yet?

Your networked Live should be able to output supported files accessible in your shared folders (and of course files on directly attached USB HDDs) to your monitor/projector. No separate media server app is required.

Have you read this Mac-related thread yet? Also see below:

P.S. Kindly post any further networking-related queries in the appropriate section of the forum.

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 22 2011, 03:32 PM
    Post #13

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Thanks i just took the chance and updated to latest firmware, thats actually allowed me to see the mac but when i setup to sync, it asks for username and password, where do i get that from? am i supposed to create one somewhere?
    it says in video to use the account thats authorised on that device, which device? the wdtv or the mac?
    it's confusing to get such a simple thing done

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 24 2011, 06:40 AM
    Post #14

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (onlmemike @ Sep 23 2011, 03:02 AM) *
    it says in video to use the account thats authorised on that device, which device? the wdtv or the mac?

The Mac (see 0:42 or so in the video here he enters the Mac user account details when prompted). Of course, this entire thing is moot unless WD fixes the SMB issue with Lion.

+Quote Post
    Emmanuel81
    post Feb 29 2012, 07:39 PM
    Post #15

WDTV USER
    Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 33,931

I am confirming that WD secretly added Cinavia to their 1.06.04 firmware update for the WDBHG70000NBK (WDTV LIVE GEN 3). It happened to me with 2 movies so far, Arabia and Tekken Blood Vengeance. Tekken froze up at about 5 mins in then muted then seconds after it froze and I had to reboot. Arabia happened almost just before the 20 min mark (19:54) then froze and had to reboot. BASTERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just going to have to buy a low powered PC and just convert that into my media center.

People put your egos and your "TRUST" in WD to the side and please spread the word or at least have other people confirm what I'm saying. I already read a few similar incidents on other sites. Back me up and lets embarrass WD for their treachery. I don't know WTF is going on lately, these big corporations are getting bolder and bolder with their media as if to say I'm tired of these f#%king people I'm locking down all of my material whether they like it or not. Everyone from Apple, Microsoft, and all the way to PS3 and Xboxes F#$% them lets find alternatives or at the least a crack...

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Mar 1 2012, 05:33 AM
    Post #16

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

it still doesn't effect the live (this section) or the live plus. just one more reason to stay away from the Live Hub and the Live SMP

+Quote Post
    natsuto
    post Mar 4 2012, 10:30 PM
    Post #17

WDTV USER

Member No.: 108,037

The wireless project site and on-site processing, I can easily stream Avatar 34GB version to use WDLXTV and NFS.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 04:06 PM