Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WDTV Live Plus cannot see Linux SAMBA Share
    gt40mkii
    post May 17 2011, 09:56 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 58,979

I'm in the middle of moving several hundred gigabytes of media (mostly audio and video,) from a unreliable Windows server to a Linux server that I have been using for other stuff for about a year.

Both file servers can be easily accessed from a Vista, XP, and Win7 systems on my network, so I'm pretty confident there are no major problems with the network or sharing configuration of both servers.

However, my WDTV Live Plus box cannot see my Linux file server. It sees the Windows server just fine and always has, but it has never been able to see the Linux server, despite that server being visible to all my Windows systems.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? The WDTV box has been less than helpful -- it doesn't have any way to report errors. it just doesn't show the share.

(And keeping my media on the Windows system is no longer an option. I'm on a quest to rid my house of Windows.)
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post May 17 2011, 09:56 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    gt40mkii
    post Jul 3 2011, 05:58 PM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Member No.: 58,979

Well, after waiting for a long time with zero answers, I've decided to abandon Linux and instead just get a new windows file server. SO MUCH NICER than dicking around with an OS as flakey as Linux. I'll never make THAT mistake again!

Thanks for nothing, guys!

+Quote Post
    killer123
    post Jul 10 2011, 05:40 PM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 9,569

The only thing flakey is you. Just because you are incompetent don't blame it on an operating system. I have no issues with the WD TV Live Plus and my Linux Server.
    PEBKAC

+Quote Post
    scottj
    post Sep 5 2011, 08:23 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 79,325

I thought I would share my experience, even though this thread hasn't gone anywhere, as I came across it whilst trying to work out my issue, which had all the same symptoms as the one posted by gt40mkii. May not be the same root cause that he experienced, but hopefully this will be of help to someone.

In brief: check nmbd is running on the linux server.

The story:
    A WD TV Live Plus HD with 2 x USB connected external HDDs (unit also connected to the network)
    Want to move HDDs to Linux server (Ubuntu 11.04) and share out via samba.

Had it working with one HDD, but then something changed and it stopped working, so didn't move 2nd HDD over until resolved issue.

After resolving a broken smb.conf file (my bad), the samba server started being accessible from others on the network: Win7 (x2) and Ubuntu (x1) laptops. But I couldn't see it from the WDTVLive+.

What stumped me though was that I could see my Ubuntu laptop from the WDTVLive+ (via samba). I realised then that the issue was with the samba server itself and not the WD unit, or linux/samba in general.

Took me a while to figure out that whilst I could directly go '\\hostname' and connect to the samba server from any of the PC clients with no issues, I couldn't see the server if I browsed the network, also from any of the clients. And it is via the same process as 'network browsing' that the WDTVLive+ finds network hosts.

Given that, I then changed what I was searching for, and started looking for why a samba server wouldn't show up when browsing the network, whilst being accessible directly.

The suggestion I came across was to check if nmbd was running.

It wasn't. As soon as I started it the problem went away: I could now find the samba server browsing the network from the laptops and also the WDTVLive+.

Obviously I had stopped it at some point, and not restarted it, and I haven't restarted my linux/samba host in over two weeks (which would also have started nmbd).

HTH.

Scott

+Quote Post
    Francs
    post Oct 6 2011, 01:13 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 84,201

Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf file that works fine on the WD TV live. I've stripped the lines with comments.

The important bit is probably the [Movies] section, but I've included the whole thing here for completeness.
    For a more complete howto refer to this link
    http://www.mvixusa.com/support/knowledgeba...X-780HD%3F.html

CODE
    [global]

workgroup = WORKGROUP

server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

dns proxy = no

interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 wlan0 eth0

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

max log size = 1000

syslog = 0

panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

security = user

encrypt passwords = true

passdb backend = tdbsam

obey pam restrictions = yes

unix password sync = yes

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

pam password change = yes

map to guest = bad user

usershare allow guests = yes

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no

read only = no

[Movies]
    comment = Movies
    path = /home/username/movies
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    guest ok = yes

+Quote Post
    fss
    post Feb 17 2013, 02:32 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 141,691

Just change your Samba default group from whatever to WorkGroup and all will be o"tae

To get started, press Ctrl – Alt – T on your keyboard to open Terminal.

Next, type the command below to open Samba smb.conf file.

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

Then look for the line and replace ‘WORKGROUP’ with whatever workgroup name you want to join and save the file.

When you’re done, type the command below to restart Samba Services.

sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
    damiankw
    post Jan 21 2014, 06:51 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 265,853

A couple of things that I've noticed through my days (and this forum refreshed a bit) is the following:

1. Ensure all devices are on the same network and subnet, example:
    CODE
    WDTV:
    - IP Address: 192.168.0.10
    - Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Linux:
    - IP Address: 192.168.0.11
    - Subnet: 255.255.255.0

This one stumped me for a while after I changed my network from 192.168.0.x to 10.0.0.x (subnet changed from 255.255.255.0 to 255.0.0.0), ALL devices worked happily with each other, except the WDTV and my NAS. NAS was causing the issues with the old Subnet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

2. Ensure all devices are on the same Workgroup, as fss suggested:
    CODE
    [global]
    workgroup = mynetwork

3. Ensure there's no firewalling on your Linux system prohibiting access - this shouldn't be an issue if your other devices can see it.

I hope this helps someone, the rest of the notes in here helped me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 09:09 AM