Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Playlists don't work
    CyberNeuroSurgeo...
    post Jun 17 2009, 02:25 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 602

I've had no success getting a playlist to work. Has anyone been able to make a playlist work? If so, how?

My attempts are as follows:

Music (.wma files) were copied to a USB 2.0 external disk (drive Z: on my computer) in Z:\My Music, which has a subfolder \My Playlists.

Using Windows Media Player 11.0.5721.5260, the Z:\My Music folder was added to the library, and a playlist was created in Z:\My Music\My Playlists named test1.wpl. Contents listed at end.

Pressing the Pause/Play button shows a red circle with a diagonal line (not available) on the screen. Pressing "Enter" takes me to the \My Music folder.

Using WinAmp 5.5, I added Z:\My Music to the media library, created a playlist and exported it to Z:\Mu Music\My playlists as testWinAmp1.m3u (contents at end). Same results as Windows Media Player.

I hacked the WinAmp file as testWinAmp2.m3u, and copied it to the Z: root directory. Still the same results as before.

File: test1.wpl
    <?wpl version="1.0"?>
    <smil>
    <head>
    <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 11.0.5721.5260"/>
    <meta name="AverageRating" content="50"/>
    <meta name="TotalDuration" content="4220"/>
    <meta name="ItemCount" content="17"/>
    <title>WDTV Soothing Music</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <seq>
    <media src="..\01-Pachelbel _ Cannon In D Major _ Dreamworld.wma" cid="{6191DD4C-4A63-47A3-BFE6-327DD8B234D5}" tid="{A8FD902F-FBAB-45FE-9E9B-6CC1F38A041B}"/>
    <media src="..\02-Bach _ Air _ Like A Breath Of Fresh Air.wma" cid="{B9040130-8141-4915-8974-54BA461BCFC9}" tid="{CD201762-6023-49B5-9BBE-4C55F4EF2727}"/>
    </seq>
    </body>
    </smil>

File: testWinAmp1.m3u
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:262,Various - Pachelbel / Cannon In D Major / Dreamworld
    Z:\My Music\01-Pachelbel _ Cannon In D Major _ Dreamworld.wma
    #EXTINF:213,Various - Bach / Air / Like A Breath Of Fresh Air
    Z:\My Music\02-Bach _ Air _ Like A Breath Of Fresh Air.wma

File: testWinAmp2.m3u
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:262,Various - Pachelbel / Cannon In D Major / Dreamworld
    \My Music\01-Pachelbel _ Cannon In D Major _ Dreamworld.wma
    #EXTINF:213,Various - Bach / Air / Like A Breath Of Fresh Air
    \My Music\02-Bach _ Air _ Like A Breath Of Fresh Air.wma
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jun 17 2009, 02:25 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jun 18 2009, 12:57 PM
    Post #2

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

Hi CyberNeuroSurgeon,

Welcome to the forums! Is library mode turned on in the settings of the wd tv? I believe you will need this turned on in order to see the playlists.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    CyberNeuroSurgeo...
    post Jun 19 2009, 03:33 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Library mode is definitely turned on. The results I described originally (circle with line when pause/play is pressed, transported to "\My Music" folder when "Enter" is pressed occurs whether I make selections from the Playlist option in Music, or navigate to the playlist using the Folder option.

I suspect that the firmware was coded to specs from an earlier version of WINDOWs Media Player or WinAMP. At this point, I'm trying to find someone who has successfully created a playlist before I try contacting WD.

+Quote Post
    audiophile
    post Jun 20 2009, 12:29 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 550

I have working M3U playlists, using RELATIVE addressing for the folders. That is, place your playlist in the "My Music" folder and edit it with notepad to remove the "\My Music\" from the beginning of the filenames. I do have one problem. The playlist entries cannot include accented character filenames like "Déjà vu.flac". These will not be processed properly.

+Quote Post
    jayvee
    post Aug 21 2009, 07:48 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 2,047

I spent a ton of time ripping CDs to a hard drive and then developing playlists for all those songs. When I attached the hard drive to the WD TV, none of the playlists appear. I developed the playlists (M3U format) in Winamp. When I attached the hard drive back to the original computer, the playlists all appear again ok, so I know the playlist file is ok. The WD TV unit plays songs just fine, but I really want it to display playlists that I can choose instead of the unit listing 14,000 songs in alphabetical order (which is not useful to me). So, what am I doing wrong? Or what is the secret to getting this playlist set up to work as desired?
    many thanx for your help-
    JV

+Quote Post
    CyberNeuroSurgeo...
    post Sep 15 2009, 03:43 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

After much back and forth with WD support (and with almost no intentional support on their part), I've finally figured out what is going on.

Apparently, the WD engineers don't understand that a playlist specifies the ORDER as well as the names of the files to be played. When a playlist is selected (using the ENTER button), only the files from that playlist are presented in alphabetical order. When the PLAY button is pressed, the files are played in alphabetical order, not the order from the original playlist. Thus, one has to "hack" the filenames in order to get a specific order. I've pointed out to them that this is NOT the way playlists work with Media Player, iTUNES or WinAMP.

In the example playlist I sent to them, I had a file named 01-Pachelbel.wma as the first entry and 01-Twinkle.wma as the 10th entry. When the playlist is displayed, 01-Twinkle.wma is the second entry, and plays as the second song.

Based on the poor support for this questions, I wil probably never by another WD product. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

+Quote Post
    badger
    post Oct 10 2009, 02:27 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 4,131

I have found no problems creating and using playlists on WDTV using Windows Media Player.
    Connect the hard drive usually connected to your WDTV, clear your library in WMP and create new library from the WDTV drive, drag and drop the files into the playlist pane. Save as .wpl file (usually saves to your Music folder. Copy and paste the wpl file to the WDTV hard drive (root).

+Quote Post
    srb151
    post Dec 8 2009, 08:22 AM
    Post #8

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 8,237

Hello everyone,

I've really been enjoying our WDTV (ver 1) since May '09, and recently have added our home stereo into the mix, as I'd like to use the WDTV to play my digital music files (so I can finally pack away the hundreds of cds messing up our living room.)

When browsing through the folders on the WDTV, the music files play great, however I'm having a tough time trying to figure out why some playlists I make work, and some don't.

My current folder structure for my music is like so:

Studio\<alphabet letter>\<artist - album>\<track no. - track title>

Examples:
    Studio\B\B.B. King - Blues on the Bayou [flac]\08. Shake It Up And Go.flac
    Studio\R\R.E.M. - Accelerate [flac]\01 - Living Well Is The Best Revenge.flac
    Studio\R\R.E.M. - Bad Day (CDS 1)[flac]\02 - Favorite Writer.flac

If I place an .m3u file in the "R.E.M. - Bad Day (CDS 1)[flac]" folder that has the following relative paths:

#EXTM3U
    01 - Bad Day.flac
    02 - Favorite Writer.flac

the playlist shows 2 songs, and plays fine. If I move the playlist to the next directory up (the "R" folder), add a track from a different album and modify the relative paths like so:

#EXTM3U
    R.E.M. - Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\01 - Bad Day.flac
    R.E.M. - Accelerate [flac]\01 - Living Well Is The Best Revenge.flac
    R.E.M. - Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\02 - Favorite Writer.flac

it plays fine. Now, if I move it up one last time into the "Studio" directory (along side the <alphabet letter> folders) like so:

#EXTM3U
    R\R.E.M. - Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\01 - Bad Day.flac
    R\R.E.M. - Accelerate [flac]\01 - Living Well Is The Best Revenge.flac
    R\R.E.M. - Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\02 - Favorite Writer.flac

it tells me "This Folder is Empty" (0/0). It doesn't play, it doesn't show the files.

Any ideas? Firmware is v1.03.01

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 8 2009, 03:50 PM
    Post #9

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Since the WD TV is Linux-based (and thus most probably case sensitive), are you sure you have the correct capitalisation for all the paths/filenames in the playlist? If that checks out, for the sake of testing can you rename "R" to something longer and see if that works?

+Quote Post
    srb151
    post Dec 9 2009, 12:27 PM
    Post #10

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (WDUser @ Dec 8 2009, 04:50 PM) *
    Since the WD TV is Linux-based (and thus most probably case sensitive), are you sure you have the correct capitalisation for all the paths/filenames in the playlist? If that checks out, for the sake of testing can you rename "R" to something longer and see if that works?

Thanks for the quick response and suggestion. All capitalization is confirmed accurate (I think they were cut & paste from the window's address bar when I made the original .m3u files)

Unfortunately, double-checking the path spelling and renaming the R folder made no difference. Here is the new structure I tried:

Relative File Path:

Studio\<Artist>\<Album>\<Song>
    Studio\REM\Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\01 - Bad Day.flac
    Studio\REM\Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\02 - Favorite Writer.flac

I created a "Song Level.m3u" file, which shows under playlists, and having 2 songs (they play fine):

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:248,R.E.M. - Bad Day
    01 - Bad Day.flac
    #EXTINF:177,R.E.M. - Favorite Writer
    02 - Favorite Writer.flac

I then created an "Album Level.m3u" file, which shows under playlists, and shows having 2 songs (they play fine):

#EXTM3U
    Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\01 - Bad Day.flac
    Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\02 - Favorite Writer.flac

I then created an "Artist Level.m3u" file, which displays under playlists, but shows having 0/0 songs and returns the message "This Folder is Empty":

#EXTM3U
    REM\Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\01 - Bad Day.flac
    REM\Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\02 - Favorite Writer.flac

Finally, I created the "Studio Level.m3u" file, which displays under playlists, but also shows having 0/0 songs and returns the same "This Folder is Empty" message:

#EXTM3U
    Studio\REM\Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\01 - Bad Day.flac
    Studio\REM\Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\02 - Favorite Writer.flac

For the sake of trying, I also replaced the Windows directory symbol "\" with a Unix "/" and received the exact same results.

I sent an email to WD Support yesterday with this issue, but haven't heard back yet. Any response/solution will be posted here. In the meanwhile, I'm open to any further suggestions/testing if anyone has any ideas. I'd also be interested in hearing if someone can confirm they have an .m3u file working with a directory depth greater than 2 in the path(s).

Thanks

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 9 2009, 03:29 PM
    Post #11

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Strange... BTW, what are you using to create your playlists? Just as a test, can you download Playlist Creator (whose only job is obvious) and use it to create playlists (try both M3U and PLS) for files > 2 folders deep? See if those work and let me know.

+Quote Post
    srb151
    post Dec 9 2009, 04:30 PM
    Post #12

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (WDUser @ Dec 9 2009, 04:29 PM) *
    Strange... BTW, what are you using to create your playlists? Just as a test, can you download Playlist Creator (whose only job is obvious) and use it to create playlists (try both M3U and PLS) for files > 2 folders deep? See if those work and let me know.

I tried two methods, (1) I manually edited the .m3u file that was created when I ripped the cd using EAC, and (2) I used Playlist Creator 3.6, manually editing the absolute path info of the .m3u file into a relative path.

I've attempted the "Studio Level" playlist, but making a .pls file through Playlist Creator 3.6 and had the same "This Folder is Empty" message. Here's the .pls code:

[playlist]
    File1=Studio\REM\Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\01 - Bad Day.flac
    Title1=Bad Day (CDS 1) - 01 - Bad Day
    Length1=248
    File2=Studio\REM\Bad Day (CDS 1) [flac]\02 - Favorite Writer.flac
    Title2=Bad Day (CDS 1) - 02 - Favorite Writer
    Length2=176
    NumberOfEntries=2
    Version=2

Edit: I should also note that we actually own 2 WDTV HDs (both Ver. 1), and I've experienced the same results on both units, leaving out a hardware issue. Also, one unit is firmware 1.03.01 and the other is still 1.02.07.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 9 2009, 11:27 PM
    Post #13

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Sounds like a hardware issue then. Not that I have high hopes, but did you try contacting WD Support?

+Quote Post
    srb151
    post Dec 10 2009, 06:48 AM
    Post #14

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (WDUser @ Dec 10 2009, 12:27 AM) *
    Sounds like a hardware issue then. Not that I have high hopes, but did you try contacting WD Support?

Still waiting for a response from them.

+Quote Post
    srb151
    post Dec 15 2009, 05:36 PM
    Post #15

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Well 7 days after my initial email through the WD support site, 2 phone calls and a follow up email later, I have yet to receive even an acknowledgment from WD regarding this issue, other than the initial automated response promising to respond in 24 hours or shortly thereafter. That was 7 days ago.

This bug and a complete lack of communication from WD support tells me that this unit isn't what it claims to be, and maybe WD shouldn't be in the media streaming business. After ripping my 1000 cd collection last year, I am not going to completely re-arrange my folder structure because WD doesn't know what its doing, just so I can make a half-dozen playlists.

If support can't even bother replying to say they're aware of the problem, then I'll be returning my WDTVHD on Friday, along with the 2 units I bought as Christmas presents for family members. I don't want to be the source of frustration for others.

I'm thinking that SageTV is the way to go. I've had confirmation that it actually does what it claims to do, and already does many of the things that WD users only have on their "wishlist".

+Quote Post
    srb151
    post Dec 17 2009, 12:38 PM
    Post #16

WDTV SEMI-PRO

So today I decided to take another approach with WD support, and I phoned them but didn't reference the original incident number from my email 9 days ago (which to this day has gone unanswered).

After 1 hour with 1st and 2nd level support, and the 2nd level support guy putting me on hold to talk with their "Guru", the official answer from WD is that, by design, playlists are only made to handle files located 1 directory down from their location. Additionally, this is not something that is planned to be fixed or changed in future firmware releases, and to quote the representative I spoke with, "in this case, the WDTVHD is not the unit for you."

What a shame.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 17 2009, 01:28 PM
    Post #17

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Ok, that sucks and moreover, sounds like an extremely stupid limitation. Thanks though for sticking with it and getting the official take on this issue, which is an achievement by itself! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) At least we know more about the player's limitations now, esp. if we want to recommend it to someone or buy another unit ourselves.

P.S. I guess the 2nd Gen. WD TV and the Live both suffer from the same problem as well, but it wouldn't hurt for someone to confirm it for us once and for all.

+Quote Post
    srb151
    post Dec 25 2009, 08:37 PM
    Post #18

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (WDUser @ Dec 17 2009, 01:28 PM) *
    Ok, that sucks and moreover, sounds like an extremely stupid limitation.

Couldn't agree more.

Hopefully everyone can vote on this issue.

http://wdtv.uservoice.com/pages/17442-gene...-greater-than-1

+Quote Post
    srb151
    post Jan 28 2010, 12:38 AM
    Post #19

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Well it gets weirder now.

I've just read how to make playlists work when trying to access songs from a directory path containing 2 or more sub-directories.

Here's the catch......It has to be an NTFS formatted drive.

All of my testing was done on a FAT32 USB key for portability (which there was lots), and it never would have occurred to me that the formatting would make a difference, nor should it.

A big thanks to the user who posted this limitation/work-around here: http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=87.60

The good news is that I never returned my 2nd WDTV unit, and the better news is that I had put my entire collection onto a 1.5TB NTFS drive. I never bothered to set up playlists again based on my original round of headaches (I figured I'd work within it's limitations), although now it looks like that functionality works......knock on wood.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 28 2010, 04:06 PM
    Post #20

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) To what depth do playlists work then on an NTFS drive? Also, if it works, WTH was that supposed "Guru" you talked to blabbering about? Where does WD (Support) find these guys anyway? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 07:13 PM