Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       OS X 10.7 No media in the current folder., For mac users trying to connect via network shares
    bajesus
    post Jul 9 2011, 02:39 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 30,276

i'm posting this a partial answer to a future question that will arise when mac users upgrade to Lion OS X 10.7.

if you're connecting using network shares, you'll get an error along the lines of There is no media in the current folder. this is because apple no longer uses the same SMB protocol for windows file sharing, instead they've created their own version which is currently incompatible the WD HD TV LIVE 1.04.31_V firmware.

my current solution is to switch gears and use EyeConnect media server software to connect my mac's content to the WD HD TV LIVE. i'm not techie enough to wade through the process of installing the version of SAMBA that the LIVE will recognize, and i don't really care how the content gets there, so long as it does.

i'm posting this in advance to make life easier for those who find themselves in my position and are frustrated by the dearth of useful information out there.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 9 2011, 02:39 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jul 9 2011, 05:15 AM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

interesting, thanks for the info.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 10 2011, 09:01 AM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Interesting... Guess a change in the Samba license triggered this. Let's see what Apple comes up with and how well the first (beta?) version in Lion performs. Meanwhile, people with hardware that's not updated are surely gonna face problems, since as bajesus pointed out, installing Samba's no piece of cake (although maybe some 3rd party developer will rectify that issue and make it simpler).

+Quote Post
    ASFx
    post Jul 21 2011, 10:22 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 18,480

Thanks for posting this... i just installed OS X 10.7 and now i'm experiencing the "no media in current folder" problem.. pretty annoying.

+Quote Post
    ASFx
    post Jul 21 2011, 10:32 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Just installed the EyeConnect trial and now everything is working just fine. Only problem is that it doesn't show the thumbnails anymore so it looks like a mess, but at least i can actually watch my shows again. I really hope WD sends out a firmware update soon to fix this before my EyeConnect trial ends though.

+Quote Post
    ASFx
    post Jul 24 2011, 12:47 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Is WD aware of this problem yet? It's pretty serious. The WDTV box is now useless for mac users! I'm not sure why WD didn't test this during all the time OS X 10.7 was in beta...

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 24 2011, 02:10 AM
    Post #7

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Oh I'm sure WD will get around to it eventually. For the record, it was Apple that broke what was working fine.

+Quote Post
    ASFx
    post Jul 26 2011, 09:09 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Sure, apple changed some things and broke it, but it was WD who didn't pay attention to the problem during the entire OS X 10.7 beta period. When you make hardware for computers, it is your responsibility to keep your drivers and firmware updated to stay functional with the latest operating systems.

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 23 2011, 12:58 PM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 80,785

is there any detailed instructions on getting mac iOS x lion and wdtv live to work together?

this is so frustrating, i can get my media to the WDTV live no problem and play it through there, but really i just want to play from my mac and not have to worry about copying files over all the time,

has anyone got this to work properly i've tried eyeconnect 1.5.3 but i keep getting no uPnP av devices found.

i wish i never updated my ps3.

are there other media server programs that will allow mac and WDTV live to work in harmony.

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.....

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 24 2011, 06:48 AM
    Post #10

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

There's this, but is is not for the faint of heart.

+Quote Post
    onlmemike
    post Sep 24 2011, 05:30 PM
    Post #11

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 80,785

Yeah that looks scary, i have just tried twonky on a trial for 30 days and it runs flawlessly, might end up buying it...

+Quote Post
    Duiker
    post Oct 3 2011, 09:35 PM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 1,693

QUOTE (ASFx @ Jul 22 2011, 12:32 AM) *
    Just installed the EyeConnect trial and now everything is working just fine. Only problem is that it doesn't show the thumbnails anymore so it looks like a mess, but at least i can actually watch my shows again. I really hope WD sends out a firmware update soon to fix this before my EyeConnect trial ends though.

I've installed the EyeConnect Trial and both my WD's show up in the app, but I'm still getting the same response from my WD's when I try to log in "This network share can not be accessed". Everything is on, SMB, sharing, remote login. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm losing my mind. Been trying for 2 days to get connected. WDTV sees the network. I can transfer files from my mac to the usb HD attached tot he WD but I can't access my macbook FROM the WD. Help!

+Quote Post
    mrknowitall
    post Oct 25 2011, 10:05 AM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 88,671

Duiker, EyeConnect will show up under Media Servers and not Network Shares. Worked for me.

+Quote Post
    Rogo43
    post Dec 23 2011, 04:59 PM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Member No.: 15,114

Sorry if this is a dumb question. If I use Twonky, can i stream my MKV and M2TS files to an APPLE TV?
    I hate the interface of the WDTV.

+Quote Post
    okidoki99
    post Mar 4 2012, 07:58 AM
    Post #15

WDTV USER

Member No.: 108,288

QUOTE (bajesus @ Jul 9 2011, 11:39 AM) *
    i'm posting this a partial answer to a future question that will arise when mac users upgrade to Lion OS X 10.7.

if you're connecting using network shares, you'll get an error along the lines of There is no media in the current folder. this is because apple no longer uses the same SMB protocol for windows file sharing, instead they've created their own version which is currently incompatible the WD HD TV LIVE 1.04.31_V firmware.

wd is at version 1.06.15_V and still no fix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 4 2012, 10:20 AM
    Post #16

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

And since it's unlikely they'll ever release any more FW versions for this model, the problem will never be fixed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 05:36 PM