Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Trouble Connecting To Network
    Koffy
    post Jul 14 2011, 09:47 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 69,362

Hello all,

I'm having trouble connecting to my network and was wondering if I could get some help, I'm out of things to try. I picked up a Cisco Linksys WRT160N Wireless Router and a Belkin USB stick that are both on the compatibility list for the player. I first tried setting up the network automatically as DHCP is turned on for my router but it didn't work so I manually entered the ip addresses and it said the connection was ok, but I could not connect to the internet. Doing the test it said my DNS ip was wrong. I upgraded the firmware on my player and router and now I can't even get the initial connection working with the same ip addresses and the automatic option still does not work.

My router specifies 3 DNS addresses but I saw a post where they said to use the router ip,192.168.1.1. I tries both and neither works, which is correct? Do I use the gateway ip in my router status page or the ip of the router,192.168.1.1, I tried both and neither worked?

I can make a wireless connection with this router and USB card work on my computer.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 14 2011, 09:47 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jul 14 2011, 03:00 PM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

on your wdtv, the DNS IP should be the IP of your router.
    if the adapter is truly supported on the live + it will have a wireless option when going into the networking section, if 'wireless' doesn't appear for you then the adapter isn't working on your device.

I have tried several different adapters and have multiple wireless routers here and they have all worked for me fine.

unplug your live +, insert the wireless adapter in the side and reapply power, wait for it to boot up and you should be off and running.

+Quote Post
    Koffy
    post Jul 15 2011, 09:28 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 69,362

Thanks for the reply. Even though the wireless option comes up and I use a supported USB thumbdrive I think that's where the problem is, if I connect with an Ethernet cable from my router it works fine.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jul 15 2011, 12:36 PM
    Post #4

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

try a hard reset and a soft reset and see if that helps, could be some confusion going on between wired and wireless

+Quote Post
    mikejbb
    post Aug 8 2011, 04:06 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 73,771

QUOTE (Koffy @ Jul 15 2011, 11:28 AM) *
    Thanks for the reply. Even though the wireless option comes up and I use a supported USB thumbdrive I think that's where the problem is, if I connect with an Ethernet cable from my router it works fine.

I was having problems going from wired to wireless too and eventually got it to work by using the side usb port, so I thought it had to be there, but no it works fine in the back too.

Here's how:
    With the WDTV off, unplug the wired cable and turn on the WDTV and wait a minute after it's booted and then plug in the wireless in either usb port. My wireless has a light so I know it's working. Then after a minute (and these minutes are necessary) go back into the menus and choose wireless and then auto and that works for me. I've switched many times from wired to wireless during my testing. I just got the WDTV+ a few days ago.

Mike
    my photography: http://BesPhoto.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 10:17 PM