Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Stopping DVD Files Reboots the hub
    pearl
    post Jul 21 2011, 10:36 PM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 23,064

So I have recently upgraded to the hub from a lliveplus that I love. I am having a problem that when I play a dvd file (VIDEO_TS) directory it starts fine and plays perfect. But when I hit "Stop", the Hub reboots. The same thing happens if I hir "Back" or "Home". Essentialy I have no way of stopping a dvd file once it has started. The Hub works fine with other file formats, mpeg etc, it just seems to happen with the dvd VOB files in the VIDEO_TS directory.

I have tested this with both local files on an attached USB drive, and with ones on my network. This is driving me nuts and this coupled with a few other issues that I will post in other sections of this board are about to drive me to returning the thing and sticking with the liveplus which works great, but just has a poor looking interface.

Anyone else seeing a problem like this?

-P
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 21 2011, 10:36 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 21 2011, 11:23 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Which firmware version? Tried a soft/hard reset yet?

Does the same thing happen with DVD ISOs? Also, how did you rip the DVDs? Can you rip one using AnyDVD (both as ISO and as a VIDEO_TS folder) and see if it behaves the same way?

P.S. The Live Plus interface can be drastically changed (for the better of course) with WDLXTV and UI mods.

+Quote Post
    pearl
    post Jul 22 2011, 12:22 AM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Yah, rebooted and reset back to factory default as well. I have hunderds of DVDs ripped by various methods and they all seem to produce the same results. I am on the latest version of the firmware 2.06.10

I did figure something out though. Works fine with the media library turned on. With it turned off, the same problem occurs. May sounds like not an issue than but I have multiple reason for not wanting the Media Library on. First off it simply catalogs poorly. All my music is in FLAC, and even though I have used a FLAC editor to add the album / artist etc, it just sees the Album name in the media layout so essentialy all the albums are orderd by name and not band. As well it doesn't even sayu the name of the band in the main view which is horrible if you are looking at 1000+ albums. As well I have hundreds of "live albums" that dont have the song titles embeded in them. just the file name being the song and directory name being the album. This works very poorly with media library as there is not metadata for it to search.

Second and most important, I like to turn the machine off when I am not using it. My intention, as well when I used my live plus, is to have two 2TB drives hooked up to the USB ports, one is full of vid, the other audio. I do not want to run them constantly when I am not home as this dramaticaly shortens the life of external drives to have them running 24/7. But with media library on, it takes an incredibly long time to scan the drives when I turn the machine in, at which time the drives are not useable.

I was real happy with the live plus. I hit the on button, the external drives went live, and I was off and running in under a minute.

regardless, it seems odd to me that I have to run the media library in order to stop VOB files without the machine rebooting. Pretty frustrating.

At the moment the only work around I have found is to run all my drives remotely on different machine and keep media library on. It scans an empty local hard drive, and then attaches to remote drives on a server that have the files I want to use. Seem silly though.

Anyone here not using the media library and can you replicate this on your machine ny hitting play on a VIDEO_TS directory?

Thanks for the response and any future help on the matter. I am going to give WD a call in the morning

-P

+Quote Post
    pearl
    post Jul 22 2011, 10:01 AM
    Post #4

WDTV SEMI-PRO

OK, I can even make this weirder and more specific:

The Problem:
    With media library turned off, If I go into the DVD and click "play" directly on the VIDEO_TS directory as one would expect to do based on previous versions of the WDLIVE, I replicate the problem of the DVD playing but rebooting if I hit "stop", "back" or "home"

The Troubleshooting:
    With media library turned off, I can go to a DVD'd directory, go into the VIDEO_TS directory and click on an individual VOB file (say VTS_01_4.VOB for example) and the product works perfectly. It in fact brings me to the initial menu (which would be on the first file, which I belive would be VIDEO_TS.VOB), plays fine, and If I hit the "stop" button, I am pleasantly returned to the VIDEO_TS directory where I see all the files in the DVD. Perfect.

The Answer:
    So, based on the above, I began to think this had something to do with the DVD menu's. Why? I have no idea, but that would be the only common theme here. So this being the case I went into the setup and turned off DVD MENUS and voila, it works perfectly. Now of course I no longer have the menu's for the DVDs which sucks, but is liveable, and I never had them before on the liveplus and was always pretty content.

The Stupidity:
    So that is the current saga. DVD menu's reboot my hub when media library is turned off. If anyone wants to try this out and see if they can replicate it I would be grateful. This is a bug in the system and should be fixed by WD.

-Pearl

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 23 2011, 09:34 AM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Good job with the detective work, although nothing about the way these players (mis)behave surprises me now. Hope someone can confirm this, and then a post in the official forum as well as a mail to Support should get WD to fix it (or not).

+Quote Post
    adhia
    post Aug 3 2011, 10:30 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 73,209

QUOTE (pearl @ Jul 22 2011, 10:01 AM) *
    The Stupidity:
    So that is the current saga. DVD menu's reboot my hub when media library is turned off. If anyone wants to try this out and see if they can replicate it I would be grateful. This is a bug in the system and should be fixed by WD.

-Pearl

Pearl, Thank you for your help. at this moment, at least we can prevent the machine to reboot. Yes, I am facing the exact same problem like what you have. and it is very annoying.

I think this is firmware bug that WD need to fix.

btw, if it is machine related, i bought my machine in Indonesia, so it is probably APAC version , 1TB hdd.

+Quote Post
    IMLizKing
    post Aug 9 2011, 09:16 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 48,008

Just a reply to confirm the same issue. I have the latest firmware and the prior version also showed this issue. When I play the DVD images by hitting play on the VIDEO_TS directory it does a reboot. Luckily, with the media library off it's not TOO terribly long to get running again. I haven't confirmed that it works when playing the VIDEO_TS.VOB file inside the directory, but I suspect that works fine as I'm sure I've hit stop before and had it not reboot (and I typically ran DVD's this way but recently started doing it by hitting play on the VIDEO_TS directory to save some time). FYI: I'm playing my DVD images over a network share, so it seems like the source location doesn't matter.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 09:40 PM