Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WDTV Live Hub Doesn't See 3 TB Drive, Does anyone else use a 3 TB drive with their Hub?
    hurricane51
    post Jul 27 2011, 12:45 AM
    Post #1

WDTV EXPERT

Group: Members
    Member No.: 5,796

According the the release notes, FW 2.06.10 enabled support for hard drives larger than 2 TB. I installed a WD30EZRX (3 TB), NTFS drive and the Live Hub doesn't even detect a device on the USB port. No flashing of the activity light. Nothing.

Has anyone actually tried a 3TB drive yet?
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 27 2011, 12:45 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Aug 3 2011, 03:31 AM
    Post #2

WDTV EXPERT

According to WD Support, version 2.06.10 of the LiveHub firmware DOES NOT enable supoort for drives larger than 2TB. This is in direct contradiction to their release notes.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with two 3TB drives purchased at a premium price.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 3 2011, 11:25 PM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

QUOTE (hurricane51 @ Aug 3 2011, 03:01 PM) *
    According to WD Support, version 2.06.10 of the LiveHub firmware DOES NOT enable supoort for drives larger than 2TB. This is in direct contradiction to their release notes.

Not only the release notes, it is in direct contradiction to their KB article as well, to which we have been pointing people: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5875 Can you quote their mail where they said this? If this is true, someone over there needs to be flayed for misleading customers like this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

Can someone check whether the latest FW fixes this issue finally?

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Aug 4 2011, 10:26 PM
    Post #4

WDTV EXPERT

Here's the entire text from the email, dated Aug 2:

Dear David,

Thank you for your reply.

At the current time a single external drive 2 TB or greater will not work with the WD TV Live Hub HD Media Player, the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, or the WD TV Live Hub Media Center. Do not attempt to use these drives with your WD TV Live product because it may damage your drive's partition and cause loss of data. WD is currently working on a solution and will provide an update accordingly.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
    Alfred G
    Western Digital Service and Support
    http://support.wdc.com

Note that he states 2TB or greater. I have been using a 2TB drive for 9 months with no issues.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 4 2011, 10:45 PM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) That looks to be an old answer; one that was given out (and part of the KB article linked to above) before they released the fixed FW for those 3 models. Clearly this "Alfred" from Support who mailed you is a complete and utter moron, and one who's using an outdated script to copy-paste responses from.

P.S. I wonder if you'd care to reply and point him to the KB article? Would like to know what he has to say about that, if at all he responds...

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Aug 4 2011, 11:39 PM
    Post #6

WDTV EXPERT

Oh, I have a long and colorful thread going with WD Support, and I'll agree they are a bit brain dead. They don't even read the problem description clearly, even after multiple messages. This seems to be par for the course, at least in my dealings with them.

I've upgraded the firmware to 2.07.17 and there was hope -- at least the LiveHub recognizes that I've plugged something recognizable into the USB port. Unfortunately that's as far as it gets. The activity light's been flashing for 40 minutes now without progressing to the "updating media catalog" stage.

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Aug 9 2011, 10:54 PM
    Post #7

WDTV EXPERT

UPDATE:
    I had to reflash the firmware to 2.06.10 because the newer firmware essentially disabled all of the playlists I had.

I've had a response from WD support. They asked for the serial numbers on my WD30EZRX drives. They said they had tested the Live Hub with a 3TB MyBook and it worked properly.

They then said they were considering offering to replace my drives with 3TB MyBooks. I assume that means I would be forced to use the MyBook case. I also assume that the only testing they did prior to the release of the firmware (and the tech note accompanying it) was on a single drive/case configuration (3TB WD drive/case).

Maybe I just don't get it, but wouldn't it be simpler to offer replacement of my Live Hub to see if it might be a hardware issue? Or, heaven forbid, accept the fact that not all of their users also buy MyBooks and do more thorough testing of new firmware? I'm not clairvoyant, but it seems natural to assume that I'm not the only one who is going to try to use a 3TB drive eventually, and maybe the others might actually buy a different brand of drive or a different case? I've already explained that I've tried three different brands of external case, both USB 2.0 and 3.0. I'm going to test yet another case soon. It seems to me that I'm doing their testing for them. Maybe that's their plan (conspiracy buffs, anyone?).

This is from the "Tier 2" support, whatever that means.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm more convinced than ever that nobody at WD actually uses the Media Player product line.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 10 2011, 05:13 AM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (hurricane51 @ Aug 10 2011, 10:24 AM) *
    Or, heaven forbid, accept the fact that not all of their users also buy MyBooks and do more thorough testing of new firmware?

My word, who do you think's gonna do all that work, WD's employees?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

It seems to me that I'm doing their testing for them. Maybe that's their plan (conspiracy buffs, anyone?).

Unfortunately, that seems to be the general trend with most companies nowadays. They release quarter-baked (half is way too much) products in an unseemly haste to be first to market and capture maximum market share, testing/QA be damned. Even long-promised features are left by the wayside, since they assume they can always push those out later (= undefined period) , as long as they have managed to fool as many people (alpha/beta testers) as possible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

Sorry for the rant, but I'm more convinced than ever that nobody at WD actually uses the Media Player product line.

I agree 100%, plus don't be sorry 'cos venting is cathartic and good for ya! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Aug 11 2011, 08:22 PM
    Post #9

WDTV EXPERT

WD has offered to ship me a replacement drive in one of their enclosures. I declined, since I don't want to be locked into their enclosure, and I would like to continue to use docking stations as well.

In a carefully worded response, they also implied that they only could guarantee that a 3TB drive would work if it was a WD drive and it was a WD enclosure. Here's the statement:

It is our determination that there is a compatibility issue between your external enclosure and the WDTV live Hub unit.

I have three different enclosures, and even the one that's three years old works fine with a 3TB WD drive on the PC. But not on the Live Hub.

I asked them (actually insisted) that issue a clarification to the release notes on the restrictions for using a 3TB drive. Maybe they'll address the issue in a future version of the firmware.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Aug 11 2011, 08:40 PM
    Post #10

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

I thought that was resolved with a firmware release already..

my opinion: total BS that is HAS to be a wd drive and a wd enclosure, total BS.

screw them, buy seagate or samsung, I wont buy wd drives just because 'they' say so..
    whatever fits the purpose and budget is what to get.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 12 2011, 12:27 AM
    Post #11

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

@Rev: I agree. Who do they think they are? Do they honestly believe everyone's gonna start buying only WD drives to store their media for playback using their players? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

Of course, let's not forget that we have had so many reports of WD external drives not playing well with their own players.

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Aug 12 2011, 08:37 PM
    Post #12

WDTV EXPERT

I'm a bit tired of this, and I guess I'll wait until (hopefully) they find a solution to the problem. In my most recent communication with WD on this issue, they apologize, but defend their position that there are so many drives and enclosures they can't test them all.

I only know of two other manufacturers of hard drives: Seagate and Hitachi. They need only test one 3TB drive from each of those manufacturers. As far as enclosures go, perhaps if I had an inkling that they had tested ANY other brands it would at least show they were trying. Why not at least try the most recent model of the three largest enclosure manufacturers? I don't know who that might be, but at least it would be a choice.

They pointed me to a KB article on compatible devices ( http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688 ), but it only lists WD drives/enclosures. Interestingly, it lists the very large number of network adapters they have certified. But they don't have the time to test even a handful of drive combinations?

I'm not going to get any more useful information from WD. But I'd like to hear from more users of 3TB drive/case combinations to find out their experiences. If they read this thread, I think they'll either wait or bite the bullet and go with the WD brand. Unfortunately, I don't think many users belong to this forum, and even fewer need large hard drives. But with Blu-Ray rips available at anywhere from 4-15 GB per movie, my 2TB drives fill up quickly.

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Aug 16 2011, 08:40 PM
    Post #13

WDTV EXPERT

I thought I was finished (temporarily) with this thread, but I received a message from WD Support that I cannot believe was sent by a manufacturer's tech support rep.

They did some "investigating" of the Thermaltake BlacX 5G. They then sent me a link to this third-party site (http://bigbruin.com/content/blacx5g_1), apparently "proving" that this docking station only supports up to 2TB drives.! The reviewer clearly states that these specs were taken from Thermaltake's own site; he even provides a link.

Apparently WD Support was too lazy to investigate the manufacturer's site, because if you follow the link to Thermaltake's site it clearly states that the docking station supports ALL capacities. (their caps).

My response was, as you might expect, furious. But the key point was that WD, being a major manufacturer, took the word of a reviewer. Even if the reviewer was earnest, the potential for error is obvious. Perhaps they were "looking" for a defense of their position?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 17 2011, 01:24 AM
    Post #14

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (hurricane51 @ Aug 17 2011, 08:10 AM) *
    Perhaps they were "looking" for a defense of their position?

Why am I not surprised... Slipshod work as always by WD. Maybe a Support guy trying to justify to his boss that he was in the right after all? In any case (pun not intended!), they should just own up to their failure and state in bold letters on their site that their players are only guaranteed to work with their own drives and no other. At least then reviewers can tear them a new one for being so restrictive, and people looking to buy from them can make an informed choice, hopefully pinching them where it hurts and leading to a change in (product testing) policy.

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Oct 26 2011, 09:03 PM
    Post #15

WDTV EXPERT

No change in FW 2.08.13.

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Dec 2 2011, 11:23 PM
    Post #16

WDTV EXPERT

QUOTE (hurricane51 @ Oct 26 2011, 11:03 PM) *
    No change in FW 2.08.13.

Glory be! I installed FW 3.00.28 and now my LiveHub recognizes my 3GB WD drive in a ThermalTake Max 5G USB 3.0 enclosure.

Is it solved? I don't know for sure. Dare I go with an active USB 2.0 hub since WD says the new FW supports this as well? When I previously tried plugging the drive into the USB 2.0 "dock" that came with my network stick the Live Hub never even recognized that a device was plugged in.

And now, thanks to the flooding here in Thailand, my 3GB drives for which I paid a "premium" price of $160 each back in August are now $250!.

I'll post comments here pro or con, but I'm hoping it's for real.

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Dec 7 2011, 09:16 PM
    Post #17

WDTV EXPERT

The LiveHub seems to be fussy about the formatting of the 3TB disks. I found this out AFTER transferring 2TB of data. It's also fussy about which enclosure/docking station you are using (a known issue).

I must have had an uninitialized (clean) drive when I formatted it the first time, and I installed it into a newly purchased (Nov 2011) ThermalTake Max 5G enclosure. When I discovered that combination plus FW 3.00.28 worked, I wiped it and formatted it in another sequence in a ThermalTake docking station (a BlacX 5G) that I had purchased about 6 months ago. The LiveHub didn't recognize it, even after the drive was placed into the more recent enclosure. And I had the stupidity NOT to test it subsequent to my early test. Since I keep a mirror of my media drives, I now had two 3 TB media drives with 2TB each of data on them that LiveHub didn't see. Another couple of days wasted. Grrrr.

Here's the sequence I found that "seems" to work ok. I've transferred 2 TB to the new 3 TB drive and everything works.

I have the following setup:

WD LiveHub (FW 3.00.28)
    Windows 7 32bit
    ThermalTake Max 5G USB 3.0 enclosure [See note above]
    Western Digital WD30EZRX 3TB Caviar Green drive
    Gigabyte H55M-USB3 motherboard with USB 3.0 support

1. Attach the drive to the internal SATA connectors before you do anything else. This is important.

2. Launch the Disk Management utility. It should prompt you to initialize the disk. If it does, stop there and proceed to Step 3.

If Disk Management doesn't prompt you to initialize the disk, exit the program and run the DISKPART "CLEAN" command. You can find a step-by-step of that procedure here. Disk Management has no ability (that I've found) to "undo" that initialization.

3. Shut down the PC and remove the drive from the SATA interface.

4. Power up the PC and install the drive in the enclosure and attach it to the USB 3.0 port. [It may work with a USB 2.0 port but I haven't tested that configuration.] Launch Disk Management. When prompted, initialize the drive with the GPT format.

5. Create a simple volume and format the drive to its full capacity with NTFS formatting. You can give it a preferred disk letter and label, but you can always change that later. I also disable indexing at this point.

6. Copy a few files to it and test them with the LiveHub. It it works, transfer a few more and check it again.

The first three steps just verify that the disk has no initialization applied. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has any comments on this and/or found an easier way to do it.

And don't bother to write to WD Tech Support and ask what enclosures they support. They'll only say they've tested it with the WD My Book.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 8 2011, 03:59 PM
    Post #18

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

WD Support is pretty useless as we've already seen more times than we care to remember. 'Course that makes them no different from most of the lower-level support personnel out there...

Anyway, thanks for sharing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It is thanks to people like you doing the hard work that others can get to know the best tips and tricks to be followed. Exactly why this site was set up, for people to share ideas and hopefully help each other solve problems that even WD is ignorant about.

+Quote Post
    hurricane51
    post Dec 11 2011, 12:11 AM
    Post #19

WDTV EXPERT

Well, another problem has raised its head, and I'm not sure where where the cause lies. Or even if it's related specifically to the 3TB drives or the enclosure.

I've been using the LiveHub in this configuration for a few days now with zero problems. Today, I turned the LiveHub and the drive on and it won't see the drive. This is the same configuration I was using about 12 hours before yet it's now defunct.

I take the drive in its case over to my PC where it works fine. So I start checking everything I can think of (cables, ports, resetting the Live Hub, etc.) with no effect. I replace the drive in the enclosure with an exact duplicate in every way (including data) and voila! It sees THIS drive and starts compiling the media library. When it's finished, I find all of my video files but none of my music files. Hmm. I attach this drive to Windows and something happens that isn't new to me but I consider it again for the umpteenth time.

For as long as I've used the WD media players (starting at Gen 1), I occasionally get a message from Windows after attaching it to a USB port, asking if I want to Scan and Fix the drive. At first I always did, but it never found any errors. I figured it was seeing something that was caused by connecting the drive to another operating system, and started ignoring them. I occasionally would scan it but it never reported any errors.

Windows again displayed the message and I asked it to scan and fix. It reported that it HAD found errors. When I looked at details, most of the report only told what it was checking as it performed the procedure, but at the end it reported this:

Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

I disconnected the drive, reconnected it to the media player. It started compiling the media library and it found all of my files. I put it through all the tests I could for about an hour, then shut everything down. I connected the original disk to the PC and it also reported it had found errors, with the same message as before. When I connected it up to the media player it, too, worked as it had yesterday.

So now I'm trying to figure out what exactly causes these errors that Windows reports and what to do about them. I've always shut the media player off (not power off) then turned off the power to the drives. If I left the media player running, I always ejected the drive first. I'm wondering if I should ALWAYS eject the drive(s) before shutting them down, regardless of whether the media player is off or on. (What a pain!)

SO...if anyone has the patience to read through this, I'd be interested as to whether they've also experienced this Windows error, what their response is, and what their procedure is when shutting down the media player/drives.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 12 2011, 08:24 AM
    Post #20

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (hurricane51 @ Dec 11 2011, 11:41 AM) *
    I'm wondering if I should ALWAYS eject the drive(s) before shutting them down, regardless of whether the media player is off or on. (What a pain!)

SO...if anyone has the patience to read through this, I'd be interested as to whether they've also experienced this Windows error, what their response is, and what their procedure is when shutting down the media player/drives.

Don't own the Hub, but somehow despite it being an obvious PITA, this is the procedure I've always followed. Is that why I've never had similar problems? No idea.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 07:26 AM