Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD TV Live and Windows 7 64 bits, Problems accessing network shares
    AussieTuca
    post Aug 12 2011, 06:39 PM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 74,664

Well, I should have read the forum and done my homework on the Internet before I invested my money on the WD TV Live box. As a standard alone player it works fine but the time I have been wasting trying to make it work accessing my PC or laptop shared folders is unbelievable. And it seems that half the world did the same according to the dozens of forums I found related to similar problems. OK, I am going to describe what happens and see if something comes out from the minds of the genius out there and end my miserable days...

All settings are correct in the WD TV Live and I experimented with variations suggested through out the Net to no avail.

I have a dual boot PC with Windows 32 & 64 bits each on their own partition, brand new installation, fully up to date, AVG anti virus and Zone Alarm firewall. I do not think the specs for the PC matter right now but I can give them in the future if necessary.

With W7 32 bits, the WD TV Live works OK although once a while it fails to see the shares; with W7 64 bits it rarely sees the shares and "cannot access the network" although a couple of times after I switched from 32 to 64 bits miraculously, it would see everything for a while and work fine until I switched either the WD TV Live or the PC and tried again when it would return to the original "dummy and blind" state.

Yes, I tried evrything also with AVG and Zone Alarm disabled and the proper Inbound rules in Windows Firewall (I did not know it monitors and takes over if you disable the third party firewall...)

The above proves that the settings are correct both in WD TV Live and in the PC shared folders but in spite of this I decided to follow some of thousands of suggestions I found on the Net and even on this Forum.

After backing up my registry and creating a restore point, I played with the Network and Sharing Centre in Windows, modified the registry as suggested in some places, reset the WD TV Live to default and started all over again, unshared the folders I want to share and started from the scratch with Everyone or Guest or my user, or nothing, with rights or no rights, changed names of the workgroup in both, WD TV Live and the PC, restarted the PC and the WD TV Live a thousand times (or more), pulled my hair, abused the PC and the WD TV Live a lot, all to no avail: the WD TV Live still can't see a thing if I have the 64 bits running but is happy with 32 bits (most of the times).

One more thing: The WD Discovery program sometimes can see the the WD TV Live and I was even able to map a network drive with the USB drives connected to the WD TV Live and transfer files back and fourth. Then, it (Discovery) could not see it anymore but I could still have the mapped drives. Weird!

I finally logged a call with Western Digital, they responded asking me a couple of questions and went silent.

In the end, I restored the Ghost image I had of the 64 before I started to tweak around and the system is fine, as before the plague.

Because most of the posts I saw are very old, mostly posted in 2010, I was wondered if I am the only one using this little fellow these days. Anybody out there has similar problems? Any suggestions at this stage?

Cheers!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Aug 12 2011, 06:39 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Aug 12 2011, 06:51 PM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

I am torn on this one ..

you sort of seem to know what you're doing so I normally would recommend WDLXTV custom firmware, however avg and zone alarm are horrible programs so I am not 100% sure..

I haven't heard of the WD firmware network shares working good for very long..
    I have heard of and been using NFS shares on WDLXTV for a long time and it has never failed me once. well worth a look, puts your shares as local folders so way more versatile and a lot quicker response.

+Quote Post
    AussieTuca
    post Aug 13 2011, 01:35 AM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Thanks Rev Drew I am willing to try anything. Where can I find th WDLXTV custom firmware? And why do you say that AVG and Zone Alarm are "horrible"? In my case they've been doing the job well. I think... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) In any case, as I said, I tried the WD TV Live with them disabled and that did not fix the problem...

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 13 2011, 03:33 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

I agree with Rev - AVG and ZA are both crap, especially the former. Heck, even MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is better than that POS.

Disabling them may not disable the background services, so I recommend you uninstall both, then restart and try the shares once after double-checking all settings. Since you've tried so many things, what do you have to lose anyway? (Plus if it works you can finally install better programs to protect your PC.)

+Quote Post
    AussieTuca
    post Aug 13 2011, 04:00 PM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Ok, I am always willing to listen and follow the suggestions. Though AVG and ZA have never caused (obvious) problems, I'll give it a go and uninstall them for the sake of another atempt to make WDTV work. Any suggestions about better AV and Firewall?

I'll let you know any new development.

Thanks and Cheers!

Edit: But wait a minute! Windows 7 32 bits works fine with both AVG and Zone Alarm installed. In ZA all I had to do was to set the home net IP range to trusted and it is OK. Hmmmmmm... I do not think uninstalling them would be the solution...

+Quote Post
    AussieTuca
    post Aug 14 2011, 08:15 PM
    Post #6

WDTV SEMI-PRO

OK, I bit the bullet and unistalled both AVG and ZA, cleaned the registry, rebooted and guess? Still does not work. It simply refuses to see Windows 7 64bits netshares...

Next anyone?

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Aug 15 2011, 04:12 AM
    Post #7

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

I have seen on more than 1 occasion where Windows was fubar and needed a fresh install to work properly with a WDTV media player.
    I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I don't think you are quite at that point but it is worth pointing out the Windows firewall can EFF up and cause many untold problems..

as for 32 bit vs 64 bit, there should be no difference to the media player..

are you sure your network settings are correct? perhaps they are different from 32 to 64 bit Windows..

as for AV and firewall, MSE is good, I have used Comodo in the past with decent results but I always seem to go back to NOD32

+Quote Post
    AussieTuca
    post Aug 15 2011, 05:36 PM
    Post #8

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Thanks Rev,

Well, my Windows installs are pretty recent (less than 3 months) and I do not think that it has accumulated much junk as Windows usually does and, to keep this to a minimum, every 2 days or so I do a junk and registry cleanup. Last week I restored the ghost image I had (1 month old) after I played with the registry and local policies atempting to fix the problem and it is as new. Windows Firewall is Off as well because ZA does the job well for me.

Network settings? Are you reffering to the WDTV Live or to the OSs? Must be the OSs, of course. All the setting have been done automatically and I never messed up with them. If you have any suggestions I will be glad to try.

Reinstall Windows from the scratch? That will be my last resource at this stage furthermore, this morning I reconnected my old Seagate FreeAgent+ just to make sure and I had no problems at all accesing the network and streaming so Windows is fine.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Aug 15 2011, 06:23 PM
    Post #9

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

you may want to check this thread out, it has worked for many people, my self included

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=10285

as for Network settings, I use static IP's for my sharing PC and my media players, that way I always know where they are, especially since I am using custom firmware and am mounting my shares

+Quote Post
    AussieTuca
    post Aug 15 2011, 06:50 PM
    Post #10

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Been there before, done that, did not work...

Unfortunately my provider and the plan I have is dynamic IP address not static but considering that it is a home network and my modem supplies a fixed address for the devices inside my home, that would be the problem, would it?

Thanks anyway.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Aug 16 2011, 07:08 PM
    Post #11

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

my outside IP is dynamic too, that has nothing to do with how it's configured within your house.

+Quote Post
    shenglu
    post Nov 1 2011, 07:45 PM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 90,013

Since you have tried so many things, what you lose anyway? I suggest that you uninstall both, then restart the first attempt, carefully check all the settings of the shares.

+Quote Post
    gereral1
    post Jan 4 2014, 04:24 PM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 265,025

What I do with my wdtv live box is use the name WDTVLive in windows 7 64bit. Goto control panel/administration tools/system management/
    then select local users-groups then select users. Right click in popup box and select new user. Name it the exact name on your box, The name is in your setup tab when you turn on the wdtv box
    Select a password then do your shares like you normally do by right clicking on a folder select share then the names press add button and you will see WDTVLive listed. Add this share and press ok. It WILL show up in video option/windows shares. Do not confuse this with the media shares. I hate that option.

+Quote Post
    gereral1
    post Jan 4 2014, 04:26 PM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Once your network name shows up click it and it might ask fro a name and password. Type in name:WDTVLive and password. Select remember password option and your done.
    This works for me.

+Quote Post
    gereral1
    post Jan 4 2014, 04:38 PM
    Post #15

WDTV USER

type cmd in seach box
    tyoe netstat
    does your wdtv device show up locked into a router assigned ip?

If so did you use automatic settings setup in network. We are talking eithernet wired here
    not wifi

Did you set ip to be static or dynamic

Is your router set to give dynamic ips to any new computers in your network

your routers gateway must match the gateway on a static ip machine
    what I mean is say your router webapage access is 192.168.2.1
    this must be your gateway ip to assigned machines

so ip:24.215.2.2 example
    gateway would be 192.168.2.1
    your subnet mask will be:

in cmd (dos)

type ipconfig /all
    you can see your gateway, subnet mask, ip, dns , ect in here
    you can run a tracert command on the ip of wdtvlive and a ping /t
    to repeatly ping the machine to tst for packet drop-offs
    This is also to test the eithernet cable between your computer and the box
    after this test if your still getting lag or problems is the eithernet PORT on the back of the box!
    The first box I bought started a movie then lag lag lag. then would work, no see my shares... on and on
    I returned it and bough a new one 7 days later. And voila! works perfect.
    When I plugged it it I DID NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. I did not setup internet on new user and shut off look for new firmware in the wdtv settings.

Good luck...

+Quote Post
    gereral1
    post Jan 4 2014, 04:42 PM
    Post #16

WDTV USER

One more thing I forgot to mention. Your router will assign IPs to new computers and record their mac addresses in the router. The job of a router is to assign computers within your network ips and they are stored or linked to the mac address of each machine.
    The ips might change but the mac address of every machine will not.
    If you assign a static ip to wdtvlive make sure the ip you assign FALLS WITHIN the routers ip range for issuing ips. This could cause troubles if it falls outside that range.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 06:32 PM