Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WDTV Freezes
    Navyfc01
    post Aug 30 2011, 03:45 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 62,128

My External Hard Drive had worked fine on my WDTV V1 before and now suddenly it will not. I have added multiple files onto since I have used it last however. When I got to connect the HD to the WDTV it detects and tries to read it but gets stuck on the reading part with the blue circle just continuously saying that its attempting to read the hard drive.

I have corrected that issue by turning off the media menu as per the advice in another thread. However, now it will display my folders in the hard drive but it will not let me open them. Once I select a folder the WDTV device will freeze and eventually disconnect from the device after waiting for about 10-15 minutes and wont detect the hard drive again. I attempted to view my files yet again after the first time, this time I just tried a little faster.

Going faster allowed me to open the individual files but it would still freeze whenever I tried to view a movie. I am caught between a rock and a hard place on what to do to fix this issue simply because it used to work and now it suddenly doesn't work. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Aug 30 2011, 03:45 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Aug 30 2011, 04:06 AM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

delete the .wd_tv folder from the drive.
    if it's a USB powered drive, get a drive that has it's own power adapter, the WD TV media player will eventually die powering a drive

+Quote Post
    Navyfc01
    post Aug 31 2011, 05:19 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 62,128

That's a bummer, I appreciate your help though. If I delete the .wd_tv folder will I be able to use it then or will I still need to get a non-USB powered device? Also, does this USB powered issue happen with all WD media players or just the V1?

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Aug 31 2011, 06:05 PM
    Post #4

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

the .wd_tv folder is the catalog that the media player creates, wont hurt a thing to delete it, has no bearing on whether it's a bus powered or self powered drive.

as for the USB powered drives, all media players will likely work with them - for a while..
    what you are doing is taxing the system to the max, eventually it will overheat and start freezing / locking up as the HDD draws lots of power.
    power = HEAT, which is the killer of electronics.

they advertise it (USB powered drives with media player X) full well knowing it will likely last past the warranty period before it dies and then you will have to buy another media player

+Quote Post
    mxallen2
    post Jun 7 2013, 12:10 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 179,823

I bought my WD Media player in 08 and it worked great so i bought a 1TB & @TB hard drives filled them with movies maxed them out (yeah a lot of movies) any way about 30 minutes into the movie it freezes up, after looking at everything i noticed that it is getting hot. Does the new WDTV Live has a better system to handle this?what do you recommend to fix the problem?

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jun 7 2013, 12:55 PM
    Post #6

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

you could try a powered USB hub, other than that not much to be honest.
    and if you aren't using WDlxTV custom firmware, a hub may not even work, so a powered external drive is usually safe, I use a HDD dock myself, never had any issues with it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 07:04 AM