Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Unable to obtain an IP address. The media player has limited or no network connectivity
    JonoZee
    post Sep 4 2011, 09:19 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 78,741

Found this on an another forum, Thanks to Sticman.

I had been going nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, with NO help from WD website or anywhere on this forum.

In my opinion, the admins should make this advice a sticky, it solved my problem immediately:

If you get this error when trying to connect with your network, do the following:

1. Do all of the basic debugging steps: Cycle power on your WDTV Live, cycle power on your router, make sure other devices work on your network, make sure another device works with the same port, wire, etc.

2. If it's still not working, you need to do a manual network connection. Go to the setup menu, Network connection, and select Manual.

3. On a Windows PC connected to your network, open a command window (type "cmd" in the Windows search box).

4. Type "ipconfig" in the command window.

5. Go back to your WDTV Live. It is asking for four numbers. The IP Address is the same as the one that came up in the screen of info when you did ipconfig EXCEPT you have to change the last number. You probably got something like 192.168.0.4 from ipconfig. Leave the first three numbers alone and change the last one. Make it in the twenties, in case you have other things on your network. In this example, use 192.168.0.27.

5. Subnet Mask is exactly the same as the one that ipconfig told you. Enter it exactly. It is probably 255.255.255.0.

6. Gateway is also exactly the same as the one that ipconfig told you. Enter it exactly.

7. DNS Server is the same as Gateway. Enter it exactly.

This should connect your WDTV Live to your network, and to the internet. I am posting this here because I just spent most of the weekend figuring this out. Also a few hours this morning with WD Level 2 tech support. Hopefully this will solve this problem for someone else in much less time.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Sep 4 2011, 09:19 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Panda68
    post Apr 7 2013, 07:56 PM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 156,276

I also had this same problem. My WD TV would detect my wifi network but everytime I tried to connect I got the same message "Unable to obtain an IP address to connect to the internet. The WD TV has limited or no network connectivity. Please retry or manually input the network information to connect." In the end I had to call the WD Tech Support Line as this happened from the very beginning with my product. It took about 45 minutes but was resolved. I'll highlight all the steps (although some didn't work) out of completeness.
    1. On the bottom of the WD TV Live box is a small "reset" button that needs a paperclip. Push that in and wait for the WD TV to reset. It takes about 3-4 minutes to complete (This didn't work)
    2. Disconnest router and reattach (this didn't work).
    3. Go to the product WD Home Entertainment update page, in this case http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...011&lang=en and scroll down to "Current Firmware" and this connected me to http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?fam...wdfwdtv_live_G3 On this page scroll down to the "download button" and then follow the clearly explained step by step instructions. Make sure the dowloads are on a USB and not within any folder on that USB i.e.on the front / main page. Now attach the USB to the WD TV and follow the instructions on the update web page.
    4. To get back to the set up page on the WDTVLive screen, I had to keep highlighting the "X" to the right of the screen.
    5. After doing all this the WD TV still didn't connect to my wifi so I was advised to disconnect and reconnect the power supply to the WDTV and "bowl me over" it restarted and worked perfectly!

I would check for any other updates in future as well

I hope this works

Addit: Having finally connected with the wifi network I then discovered that my Windows 7 needed to download an additional driver. After this installs you are taken to a WD login webpage where a login password is asked for. I had to google this as well and came up with "admin" which worked.

Boy I hope thsi is all worth it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 04:06 AM