Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Won't play .AVI from Passport essential
    TOMpsy
    post Sep 17 2011, 01:14 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 81,026

I have had my player for some time now. It is connected to the home network. It plays .AVI files form the NAS via a switch with no problems. So, i bought a WD My Passport Essential, this one: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...214&lang=en
    I transferred som avi-files from the NAS to the named HD, and also some iso-files.

Here is the problem: It won't play the avi-files. The files and folders are shown, but they will not play. It will play the iso-files though. I get no error code, just the spinning wheel that goes on and on and...

In essence; the same avi-files will play from NAS, but not form the HD. It will play iso-files form the HD. I am confused here...

Yes, I have the latest firmware, and yes I am aware of the FAT-32 formatting, which is no option on the HD, only NTFS. But then again, why would the iso-files play from the HD if formatting was a problem?
    And yes, the files play from the HD on my pc and the HD is in good health.

any suggestions?

thx in adwance
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Sep 17 2011, 01:14 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 21 2011, 12:42 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

WD never ceases to befuddle me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

All I can suggest is that you give this thread a read, then update the Passport's FW and maybe use this to start from a clean slate. Let us know if it worked (although even if it does, damned if I know why!)

+Quote Post
    TOMpsy
    post Sep 22 2011, 10:15 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 81,026

TADA
    Thx a lot WDuser, I followed one of your links, that lead me to this: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3865
    And what do you know. It actually works. Long story short; do not use the bundled software with passport when formatting the drive if you planning on using the drive with a WDTV.

It will only be speculations on my part to why the windows disc managment makes it work, and WD's bundled software does not. So I won't.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 10:17 PM