Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Should WD take the Picture Viewer off the WD TV?
    Should WD take the Picture Viewer off the WD TV?
    Should WD take the Picture Viwer off the WD TV?
    Yes [ 10 ] ** [15.38%]
    No [ 51 ] ** [78.46%]
    Undecided [ 4 ] ** [6.15%]
    Total Votes: 65
    Guests cannot vote 
    neverlift
    post Apr 27 2009, 01:04 PM
    Post #1

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

Should WD take the Picture Viewer off the WD TV? Vote now.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Apr 27 2009, 01:04 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Apr 28 2009, 12:57 PM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

I haven't decided as I haven't tried this.

does anyone know if the WD TV will map to a folder with a space in the name? I am having trouble doing this..

I have 2 xbox's and my media center PC already mapped to it or I would change the name..

+Quote Post
    Coleman
    post Apr 28 2009, 02:42 PM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 111

QUOTE (neverlift @ Apr 27 2009, 02:04 PM) *
    Should WD take the Picture Viewer off the WD TV? Vote now.

Better to have this ability than not to. I personally only use my WD HDTV for video files but you never know. The picture viewer is probably a very useful tool for the digital signage market for instore advertising combined with the music player.

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Apr 28 2009, 07:35 PM
    Post #4

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

QUOTE (Coleman @ Apr 28 2009, 03:42 PM) *
    Better to have this ability than not to. I personally only use my WD HDTV for video files but you never know. The picture viewer is probably a very useful tool for the digital signage market for instore advertising combined with the music player.

Very true, but Drew made a good point about more room to advance the video capabilities HERE. Its real nice to have all kinds of options but if they take away from the main focus which I believe is to be a hd movie player then really its not called for. Im a very frustrated user of the picture viewer so I might not be the best person to give my opinion. I find the picture viewer to be painfully slow as far as advancing through your pictures. The digital signage for shop owners is a good idea I would like to see how it preforms for this purpose.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Apr 28 2009, 07:36 PM
    Post #5

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

QUOTE (Rev Drew @ Apr 28 2009, 01:57 PM) *
    I haven't decided as I haven't tried this.

does anyone know if the WD TV will map to a folder with a space in the name? I am having trouble doing this..

I have 2 xbox's and my media center PC already mapped to it or I would change the name..

Map a folder? You mean able to read a folder with a space in the folder name? Please enlighten me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Apr 29 2009, 02:35 PM
    Post #6

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

we were given a sony camera years ago, the software puts all the pictures in folder in a main folder call "Image Transfer" I can easily map it in MCE and the xbox's, but the wdtv doesn't seem to want to let me map it...

If all the others weren't already mapped to it I would change the name, now it's not as easy as it could have been in the past..

+Quote Post
    NeilF
    post May 26 2009, 02:19 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 325

QUOTE (neverlift @ Apr 28 2009, 08:35 PM) *
    Very true, but Drew made a good point about more room to advance the video capabilities HERE. Its real nice to have all kinds of options but if they take away from the main focus which I believe is to be a hd movie player then really its not called for. Im a very frustrated user of the picture viewer so I might not be the best person to give my opinion. I find the picture viewer to be painfully slow as far as advancing through your pictures. The digital signage for shop owners is a good idea I would like to see how it preforms for this purpose.

Cheers!

Hi... Can I ask how the WDTV performs say compared to this clip of an EVA9150 browsing through 100-300k images shared from a NAS? (view from about 25secs on) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKRjn9c2EDQ

Would you say the WDTV is fast, about the same, or noticably slower?

Again, this is with images around 100-300K, from a NAS...

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post May 27 2009, 03:29 PM
    Post #8

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Seems WD TV pretty much performs as good if not better than what I saw from your youtube video. Also you dont get that loading msg which I found rather annoying.

+Quote Post
    Hubi
    post Sep 26 2009, 08:25 AM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,422

Displaying digital photos is the main application for me, I have many on storage. To have HD with 1080 is most valuable for me in connection with those pictures. A good movie is a good movie, even with 576i, but for a picture it makes a hell of a difference. Thank you for asking. ciao Hubi
    P.S.: yes - the speed -
    The original files of pictures are "holy files" and the only one backed up. To print, show around, take with me - I use copies only. With Irfan View it is the same effort to reduce them in size in one go, in batch mode, while copying it.
    With my old camera with four Megapixels I can use them "as is", but with today "Pixelmania" with 12 and more Megapixel it must take time to read into storage and reduce them to the displayed size. E.g. I visit someone knowing he has a brandnew LCD TV with all kind of features, and wanted to show pictures from my new Digital Camera. Hence I copied/reduced the size of the picures from 3MB to 200kB, to a SD card, put it in an mini-USB reader, and have been ready for connection with either an USB or SD card slot.
    With size reduction I removed the burden from the TV for its handling, and the show went smooth as wanted.
    I do not have a WDTV yet, but are planning to buy it very soon, even knowing a new one is coming soon, because one year of fixes and add-ons are a value the new one will not have now but in one year from now and then there will be again something better and newer.

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Sep 26 2009, 08:22 PM
    Post #10

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Hi hubi,

Thanks for the great advice will take it and use it.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    PangaDayWalker
    post Oct 9 2009, 05:26 AM
    Post #11

WDTV Mod

Member No.: 934

I voted NO. I don't use this feature but I think the more features the device has the bigger the club will be.

So don't take anything, always add new things!!

+Quote Post
    zunkom
    post Nov 1 2009, 05:51 AM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 5,489

hi,

I'm relatively new to WD TV. but current photo viewer is realy too slow.

It there any way that developers could speed it up a little bit ?

It is nice to be able to view photos on a large LCD screen, don't take it out in next firmware update ! Just update the Photo viewer !!!

Matej

+Quote Post
    oil
    post Nov 5 2009, 08:28 AM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 5,730

i never used the picure viwer and prolly never will, but donīt see why it should be taken away anyways

+Quote Post
    chevy2dr56
    post Nov 5 2009, 12:13 PM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Member No.: 5,749

The picture viewer functionality is a must keep, but it needs to be sooo much faster. The best I have ever seen is the PS3 interface. It is blindingly fast and you have so much control. I'd be happy if the WD TV could at least come close to matching the speed.

+Quote Post
    fpetrus
    post Nov 13 2009, 07:28 AM
    Post #15

WDTV USER

Member No.: 6,179

I voted NO. I not only think that it should be kept, but also improved. It is very nice to see pictures in the big screen when you want to show to friends or relatives or like a big digital frame like device.

Regarding improvement, I am particularly interested in Flickr interaction. I had the change to use Apple TV working with Flick and the way it should pictures es MUCH better than WD TV Live and I would really like WD TV Live to work in the same way.

I would like to ask for this feature to be improved, is there an official way to request new or improvement to WD?

Regards,

+Quote Post
    Rjay
    post Dec 15 2010, 02:41 PM
    Post #16

WDTV USER

Member No.: 8,749

Better late than never to this Vote.... sorry for the delay. It seems I only ever get to this forum when I have issues.... oh well.

I vote a great big NO to removing pictures from the WDTV. The main reason? I love the fact that I can play music AND have a slideshow at the same time! (Kinda hard to do without pictures).

This is especially important to me at Christmas time, as I have all our previous Christmas photos playing at the same time as our Christmas music. It's a unique experience that leaves smiles on everyone in the house as they pass by, stop, remember and even sing along as the pictures and music changes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 10:45 AM