Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       **NEW** WDTV Live Streaming (Gen. 3), Hardware
    neverlift
    post Oct 16 2011, 05:41 PM
    Post #1

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

Here we have the all new revamped WDTV Live. Same remote and UI as the WDTV Live HUB. I have yet to see this out in the wild so have not had the opportunity to take it for a test drive. Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade if you already own a wdtv live plus hooked to your network.

Attached File  LR_WDTV_Live_2011.jpg ( 21.71K ) Number of downloads: 71

Attached File  04645358_photo_western_digital_wd_tv_live.jpg ( 148.49K ) Number of downloads: 36

Attached File  04645362_photo_western_digital_wd_tv_live.jpg ( 225.93K ) Number of downloads: 26

Attached File  35026900_DT2_620x433.JPG ( 90.94K ) Number of downloads: 29

Attached File  35026900_DT_620x433.JPG ( 95.54K ) Number of downloads: 31

Attached File  35026900_DT3_620x433.JPG ( 111.64K ) Number of downloads: 24
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Oct 16 2011, 05:41 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    GaPony
    post Oct 21 2011, 10:07 PM
    Post #2

Thumbnail Guru

Group: Members
    Member No.: 4,361

I'll take it just for the new remote! The old style remote has been my only complaint with previous models. Since I already have a 60TB server for my movies, I wasn't going to spend $200 for the WDTV Live Hub.

+Quote Post
    GaPony
    post Oct 29 2011, 12:02 AM
    Post #3

Thumbnail Guru

I've been playing with this for about a week now and have to say that its everything the WDTV should be. It starts fast. The menus are very snappy and it even does a decent job of generating moviesheets (or whatever they're calling them) on local drives. Nothing too fancy, but adequate. Hopefully, they'll decide to support them on network storage, at some point, although I still prefer using list mode. This has also been improved alot with double rows and sideway navigation.

I haven't tried everything yet, but so far, its looking good.

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Oct 30 2011, 08:23 AM
    Post #4

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Thanks Pony, but the one big thing its missing for a lot of people would have to be VPN support right out of the box. I could be wrong about the VPN but heard there is no support....true?

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    GaPony
    post Oct 30 2011, 11:49 AM
    Post #5

Thumbnail Guru

That's true. I'm just happy to see the stuff that's supposed to work, actually working well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

They will never be able to please everyone. Neither will any other company.

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Nov 4 2011, 09:15 PM
    Post #6

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

The Unboxing video...

+Quote Post
    weezypenguin
    post Nov 12 2011, 11:36 PM
    Post #7

WDTV EXPERT

Member No.: 1,339

so what is the performance of the WIFI? is it any good for actually streaming video?

+Quote Post
    Arcthelad
    post Nov 28 2011, 09:31 AM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Member No.: 64,203

My short review of the WDTV Live-S

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Nov 29 2011, 03:07 PM
    Post #9

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

@Arcthelad thanks for sharing your review.

+Quote Post
    Trendecide
    post Dec 6 2011, 11:23 PM
    Post #10

WDTV EXPERT
    Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 32,606

I think gen3 is enticing, but doesn't have the icing on the cake. We need to see more in the way of customization... either allowing developers to make channels like the Roku or the ability to create apps like Android/Google.

The NIC needs to be gigabit as a gigabit hardline is going to do a better job of streaming uncompressed Blu-Ray than the Wireless N.

With rumors of Apple entering the TC market next year and Microsoft putting IPTV on the next xbox, there's certainly a lot more room to grow here.

+Quote Post
    GaPony
    post Dec 7 2011, 07:23 PM
    Post #11

Thumbnail Guru

QUOTE (Trendecide @ Dec 7 2011, 01:23 AM) *
    I think gen3 is enticing, but doesn't have the icing on the cake. We need to see more in the way of customization... either allowing developers to make channels like the Roku or the ability to create apps like Android/Google.

The NIC needs to be gigabit as a gigabit hardline is going to do a better job of streaming uncompressed Blu-Ray than the Wireless N.

With rumors of Apple entering the TC market next year and Microsoft putting IPTV on the next xbox, there's certainly a lot more room to grow here.

Is there something you've been unable to play over the wired connection? The combined total transfer rate for Blu-Ray is 54Mbps, with combined AV bitrate of 48Mbps (40Mbs for the Video). There are very few Blu-Ray movies that even come close to approaching this number. In any case, a 100Mbps is more than capable of streaming even the most demanding Blu-Ray. I've never had an issue over wireless n, but you have to keep your expectations reasonable. Trying to use wireless n from a couple hundred feet with a half dozen walls in the way, isn't going to get you maximum performance. To be honest, I actually thought the ethernet port was gigabit with this new version.

There are always going to be several products where manufactures differentiate their brand by specializing in doing one thing better than everyone else. For some that may be a robust collection of services, for others it may be a highly customizable user interface. You should just buy the product that suits your needs, instead of expecting every product to be able to do everything.... especially for $99.00. If you want UI customization, spring for a PCH. If you want a robust developers channel, perhaps the Roku is for you, instead of the WD TV.

Who knows whats coming in the future. It has little to do with whats available in the market today. Certainly, WD is in a better position for innovation in this area, than either Apple or Microsoft, as neither has a decent device for streaming a wide variety of high bandwidth content to an actual TV.

+Quote Post
    bikertyke
    post Sep 17 2013, 04:33 AM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 231,467

QUOTE (weezypenguin @ Nov 12 2011, 11:36 PM) *
    so what is the performance of the WIFI? is it any good for actually streaming video?

Ive been streaming from my PC for a few days. Took a while to set the PC up to Stream but thats another thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

My conection speed is 100mbs and upload 10mbs if it makes a difference

Using Wi Fi to stream from pc.

Sends DVD iso and 1080p with no slowing or stopping. Very happy with it so far. Good piece of kit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 09:24 AM