Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Why Don't .MKV Files Appear In "Media Server" Mode?, ** SOLVED! **
    Obersturmfuhrer
    post Oct 23 2011, 03:56 PM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 87,928

Or, I suppose more accurately, why do ONLY .AVI files appear for me in "Media Server" mode? If I put some random MKV in a share folder, I will see it in Network Shares mode. However, Media Server seems to play back highbitrate MKV's much more efficiently than Network Shares, this is obviously why I want to play them in Media Server mode.

As for specs, running latest firmware, win7 x64 i7 950 14GB RAM.

When I google search this issue of non-appearing MKV's there are others with same problem, so it isnt isolated to me. However, there is no clear solution anywhere. Already tried installing TVersity, added some MKV's to the Video list, and they appeared on the GUI of WDTV. Clicked play and got "Unable to play media" message. So I dont know whats going on. (MKV's, any video file type for that matter plays perfectly from USB)

Any help? Thanks.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Oct 23 2011, 03:56 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 25 2011, 09:06 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

If it's a question of efficient streaming over the network, NFS is heads and shoulders above Windows CIFS. Install WDLXTV and try streaming the same files you were having problems with using NFS (more here).

+Quote Post
    Obersturmfuhrer
    post Oct 25 2011, 09:46 AM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Thanks for response, but it's not about efficient streaming, the streaming is fine, it's about the MKV files not "showing up" under Media Servers. ONLY avi's are displayed.

Tried installing TVersity, added some MKV's to library, and they did show up, but when I clicked PLAY it said "media not recognized". I've even tried to "fool" the WDTV so-to-speak by renaming a MKV to AVI (heheh) but it didnt work, apparently the WDTV is one smart cookie lol. So yeah, im just kinda stuck. As for the NFS stuff, it looks like a bit overwhelming solution to a seemingly simple problem..

Thanks!

(Keep in mind that it does indeed play MKV files quite nicely, but they only seem to be recognized from a USB HDD/Adapter, not in Media Server mode)

+Quote Post
    Obersturmfuhrer
    post Oct 26 2011, 09:46 AM
    Post #4

WDTV SEMI-PRO

I know I made a separate thread about this, but just in case somebody that is having similar issue doesnt stumble upon it I decided to make another one...

Anyway, my issue was that over "Media Server" mode, no matter what I did I could never get my WDTV Live Plus to show/recognize MKV files. AVI's would display perfectly, but not MKV.

After may trial n errors, and after a few suggestions (such as NFS/mounting) to no avail, I just so happened to stumble across a relatively simple issue that wasnt addressed with my computer... Lack of Codec for Windows Media Player to play MKV files. Sounds stupid, I know, but since I exclusively use VLC Media Player to play ALL my media, it never dawned on me that WMP would ALSO need the codec to run. (And since it's WMP/WMS that actually decodes the video, it would make sense that the codec isnt available).

So, I downloaded CCCP codec pack, installed. Fired up the ol' WDTV, click Media Servers, and still, nothing. No MKV in sight. However, I remember a few days ago when I tried installing TVersity Pro that the MKV's did show up, but they wouldnt play, due to unrecognized media. I figured perhaps it would recognize it now that I have installed the codes, so I reinstalled TVersity, fired it up, set the shared folder, picked a random MKV, hit play and BOOM , success, at last.

Sorry if that was a bit long-winded, but the bottom line is that CCCP + WDTV + TVersity = MKV's will play. (Here is the link for codecs)

I hope this helps somebody stuggling thru this issue... Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Oct 26 2011, 04:49 PM
    Post #5

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

interesting, a long process but if it works and you're happy, that's what counts!

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 28 2011, 01:53 AM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

You should also be able to stream using the DivX Plus codec, and Windows Media Player or Media Center.

P.S. Threads merged, topic title edited.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 09:10 AM