Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Unable to access network share
    Hicpotboy
    post Oct 28 2011, 04:16 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 89,345

Hello, all

I've had a WD TV Live Plus device for about a year now. Got the network all configured and it was working fine.

I started running out of space, so I picked up a WD Essentials 2TB External hard drive. Plug it in, share it as usual, no muss, no fuss. UNTIL I use a computer to copy files to the hard drive. Once I do that, the TV Live is unable to connect to the computer anymore. The only solution I have found so far to fix this is to reboot the computer.

If I leave the device in a shared folder from the computer, the preview mode works fine for whatever file it was on before I copied something. But if I try to play something, I get "There is no media in the current folder". This error pops up on every folder I try as I go back, right back to the computer selection. From there, it asks for a username and password, which are correct (very correct. I've double and triple checked, and it always works after I reboot the computer). But after that, all I get is "This network share cannot be accessed." I've tried turning the device on and off (I usually leave it on because it takes so long to boot), unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in, but nothing except rebooting the computer resolves the issue.

I've checked the computer's event viewer, and there's nothing in there to point at anything breaking after a file copy. All the other computers in the network (of which, there are four others) can see the computer and access it's shares without issue. Only the TV Live device has problems.

Also, to add to the information overload, prior to getting this external, my primary storage was an older model WD 1 TB external. That never had any issues. Copy file, play from TV Live.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on, or things I could try to narrow down the issue more?

Thanks.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Oct 28 2011, 04:16 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 29 2011, 06:19 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

If you connect the 1 TB back and remove the 2 TB from the picture, does the problem go away?

+Quote Post
    Hicpotboy
    post Oct 29 2011, 12:21 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

The 1 TB is still connected. I have tested it by copying a file to it, and attempting to play it through the Live device. That works completely fine. If I move the file from the 1 TB to the 2 TB using the computer they're connected to, it works fine. This issue only seems to crop up when I directly copy files to the 2 TB from an external computer.

Oh, and addendum: it's not a 2 TB Essentials; it's an Elements drive. Not sure if that actually helps or not.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 31 2011, 12:21 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

There's something weird happening here for sure... Which OS BTW? Almost sounds as if when you use the PC to copy files to the 2 TB, the former is holding file handles open and thus not allowing the player to connect to the latter (with the files handles obviously being released once the PC reboots).

+Quote Post
    Hicpotboy
    post Nov 1 2011, 09:22 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

It's Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I find it quite strange that it does it to the 2 TB, but the 1 TB works just fine.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 4 2011, 01:00 AM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Who knows, it may also be an issue with the 2 TB case/enclosure's firmware. Do you have access to another 2 TB drive so you can run a quick test? Preferably something non-WD, such as a Seagate FreeAgent.

+Quote Post
    na6t
    post Jan 10 2012, 03:15 AM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 25,983

I'm using window 7 (32) Ultimate on a network with 3 winXP boxes. I've got 3 2tb WD Elements drives on the win7 box
    and they can be seen and used by the winXP boxes and two differnt WD Live Plus boxes in the house. I'm able to play video, audio and pictures over the network from the win7 box.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 12:38 PM