Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Audio stops or no audio playing AVI, Audio stops or no audio playing AVI
    Bill B
    post Nov 3 2011, 07:54 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER
    Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 90,535

I just installed the new player. It is connected to my Vizio TV with the HDMI cable only. I have the audio out set up as HDMI Auto. The sound from some AVI files are not coming through. Sometimes they come through for a few minutes, and stop. I have not gone through all the manual possibilities. I will also try the audio cables too, but that is not a TRUE resolution if it works.

Thanks, Bill
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Nov 3 2011, 07:54 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Nov 3 2011, 01:36 PM
    Post #2

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forums....did all these avi files audio work fine with the older WDTV? (if you owned the older version)

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    Bill B
    post Nov 3 2011, 02:05 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER
    Group Icon

Never owned one before. We upgraded from Roku, so I've never been able to stream from my NAS before.

I am a technical person, but this is relatively new to me.

What other info can I provide. I am converting one of the AVI's now for testing.

The files played fine from my Philips DVD Player using the USB port.

+Quote Post
    Bill B
    post Nov 4 2011, 09:13 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER
    Group Icon

Using the stereo audio cables did not work. I encoded the avi to WMV. Still no sound.

Thanks, Bill

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Nov 4 2011, 03:00 PM
    Post #5

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

It might be a audio compatibility issue with the avi and I am not a good person to talk avi audio with. Are you encoding these avi's yourself and what audio settings are you using. Telling us your audio settings might get someones attention and we might get an answer.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Nov 4 2011, 03:48 PM
    Post #6

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

I'm no help, my players have all been connected via optical cable to an amp so it all seems to work fine here.

my plus that is hooked up to an old crt also plays everything I've so it's quite possible that it's a file problem unfortunately.

any chance you can post one of the offending files for us to test?

any file host is good, if you don't want the masses to have access just PM it to one (or several) of us.

+Quote Post
    Bill B
    post Nov 8 2011, 08:53 AM
    Post #7

WDTV USER
    Group Icon

No I didn't encode these files myself. Do you know of a good program that can fnd that out?

When I have the file highlighted with the player, it displays. But most of them are the same. None of this explains why some files lose sound halfway through playing.

I have a file on an FTP site if you are interested in looking at it. I can send that in a PM.

Thanks, Billy

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 13 2011, 11:01 AM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

QUOTE (Bill B @ Nov 8 2011, 08:23 PM) *
    No I didn't encode these files myself. Do you know of a good program that can fnd that out?

One word - MediaInfo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    BennoWD
    post Nov 17 2011, 07:50 PM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 93,741

having the same issue on my wd also, but to fix it i have noticed that if i am downloading alot at the time my network gets to much overload with everything going at once and i stop my downloads and recheck the audio and get everything back fine... please let me know if this is also a fix for you. it seems that there is too much traffic on your network to handle the transfer speeds of the wd and the other things all at once. Cheers please let me know if there is any merit to this theory

+Quote Post
    erogue
    post Mar 22 2012, 05:33 AM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 109,300

I am having similar issues to Bill B. I have my first WDTV and it worked fine connected via HDMI to the TV - audio set to Stereo.

I then decided to get a soundbar to improve on my old TV's speakers and ran optical from the WDTV to the Sound Bar (Samsung, HW-D350 which is capable of Dolby Digital and DTS).

For some files I don't get any audio at all. Some are ok. The bad ones are either AC-3 (6 channels) or DTS according to MediaInfo (which is very handy). Good ones have MPEG audio of some sort.

I tried connecting the sound bar to the TV's optical out instead of WDTV and then set WDTV to optical pass-thru via HDMI. All files then played but I think its just because my TV then forces it back down to stereo cos that's all it knows.

Really puzzled by this. It could be the sound bar but it plays Dolby Digital audio from optical outs on both a Sky+ HD box (showing a movie tagged as DD by Sky) and an FoxSat HDR on an HD channel (not sure how to tell if the channel's audio is DD but FoxSat set to output it over optical)

From what I understand AC-3 is Dolby Digital so I don't get why it won't play files with that audio type.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 23 2012, 04:27 AM
    Post #11

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

@Simon: Are you also having problems with AVIs? Try remuxing the files to MKV using mkvmerge GUI (mmg.exe, part of the mkvtoolnix package).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 03:41 AM