Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Is it worth upgrading from WDTV Gen 1?
    purple
    post Dec 14 2011, 06:21 AM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 645

Hi,

I have had a WD TV Gen 1 for a couple of years now and it has been amazing. I quite like the look of the new WD TV Live SMP model and wanted to know if it would be worth upgrading if I'm not interested in any of the network features (Streaming, Internet Access, YouTube etc). I also don't really need DTS support as it goes through my AV receiver.

I only ever play videos from the hard drive and have no need for the network features. I basically want to know if the performance (cpu and memory) have been improved to allow smoother playblack of movies.

I have recently purchased a 3D TV and have been watching some Half SBS movies on my Gen 1 WD TV player. The 3D movies have been playing fairly well but they do stutter every now and again, and wanted to know if the playback would be improved on the WD TV Live? I also currently encounter an odd stutter when playing normal 2D 1080p movies.

I am having to convert some mkv movies lately too for my current WD TV player for them to play. I have to use mkvmerge to uncompress audio and video for it to play, this only takes a few minutes to do but is still a bit of a hassle. Does the WD TV Live support more compressed audio/video formats meaning I will not need to convert files any more?

Thanks in advance for any help?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Dec 14 2011, 06:21 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    imback
    post Dec 14 2011, 09:27 PM
    Post #2

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 83,028

like you i have had the gen 1 for a number of years, i recently upgraded to the wdtv smp and have not looked back, i am not particularly technical but the whole thing runs smoothly, has a nice gui, can do lots of little things the g1 cant ie play iso files and a few other things you will discover, i would recommend the smp, no probs

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Dec 15 2011, 05:02 AM
    Post #3

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

if past history is an indicator, the live and live plus are better than the Gen1.
    I don't own one of the new Live SMP's so I can't really comment either way but more than likely.

my Gen1 wont play the 34GB release of avatar, even on a directly attached USB hard drive.
    my live and live plus's will stream it over the network, wired or wireless, without any issues.

+Quote Post
    Arcthelad
    post Dec 15 2011, 08:29 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 64,203

If you want a bigger remote and a better interface then its worth it. If those things don't really matter to you and your Gen1 plays your videos fine then no.

+Quote Post
    cup0spam
    post Dec 17 2011, 02:13 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 6,912

I upgraded from a gen 1. Fantastic upgrade. All the internet services (especially netflix) are a bonus. I sold my gen 1 on craigslist for $55.

+Quote Post
    thomfam
    post Dec 18 2011, 04:56 PM
    Post #6

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 1,187

I have been through from the gen 1 WD as well. I just love my new WD TV Live SMP for all the reasons listed above. However I just love the ability to be able to adjust any out of sync (OOS) movie files via the "Option" key. OOS files are no longer a concern!

+Quote Post
    purple
    post Dec 19 2011, 12:35 PM
    Post #7

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 645

QUOTE (thomfam @ Dec 18 2011, 05:56 PM) *
    I have been through from the gen 1 WD as well. I just love my new WD TV Live SMP for all the reasons listed above. However I just love the ability to be able to adjust any out of sync (OOS) movie files via the "Option" key. OOS files are no longer a concern!

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the OOS option has just sold it for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
    outburst
    post Dec 19 2011, 12:46 PM
    Post #8

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 1,387

I've had almost every model except the hub. I went to the Live because of the networking and now I have the SMP because of the wireless connectivity. With the G1 I can still remember the hassle of having to disconnect the drives, put files on it, reconnect it, let it boot up... don't miss it at all!

+Quote Post
    das75
    post Jan 8 2012, 08:11 PM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 4,566

QUOTE (thomfam @ Dec 18 2011, 06:56 PM) *

so I'm reading this right, if the audio is out of synch with the video it can be adjusted on the 3rd generation? If so how?

+Quote Post
    outburst
    post Jan 15 2012, 05:26 PM
    Post #10

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 1,387

QUOTE (das75 @ Jan 8 2012, 09:11 PM) *
    so I'm reading this right, if the audio is out of synch with the video it can be adjusted on the 3rd generation? If so how?

There is an option to move the audio forward or backward in comparison to the video by small increments.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 02:02 AM